Author Topic: How do you remove the nose emblem crest?  (Read 6036 times)

Offline '79 Blvd Bird

How do you remove the nose emblem crest?
« on: January 10, 2007, 09:35:56 AM »
I'm trying to do this without taking the front off.  I was feeling around to find what size socket to use but there are no threads on the back side of the emblem from what I can feel.  Any details or "tricks" would be appreciated.  I'm afraid of damaging the nose if I just pulled on what I feel is a nut holding the crest on. Thanks.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 10:57:29 AM »
I know for a fact that milly has replaced the one on his car without pulling the nose off or damaging the fascia.  But he won't check in until tonight, so if Brett or somebody doesn't get back to you by then I'm sure milly can tell you.

Offline AmFan

• Love them Pontiac's
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 11:41:22 AM »
It has been a while since I've done it, but I believe if you remove the hood latch assembly, you can get your hand and the wrench on the nuts that hold them emblem on.

I believe the nuts are like the acorn-style.

tom
1978 Trans Am
Bought April 2001
Restoration: 2001 - 2004
Summer enjoyment ever since

Offline '79 Blvd Bird

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:26:12 PM »
Yeah,  I can get to the nut without a problem.  Either from up underneath or through a Grill opening.  But I'm not sure if the nut is a TRUE nut with threads....I don't feel threads on the post of the emblem.  IT IS TIGHT IN THERE.

I guess what I need to know is ......If it's a NUT or is it something that slips on the post or what ever it's called that  pokes through the fascia that doesn't seem to have any threads on it.

Thanks for anymore input on this.

Offline Russman

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 12:31:54 PM »
I have taken mine off twice. I went through the grill as you have said. The post of the emblem has only 2 to 3 thread like parts to it. It is not truely threaded. The nut, if it is the same as mine was, was just a compression nut. If you can get a socket on it and get it to spin, then you need pliers or some strong fingers to pinch the nut and it will come off.

It may be called a push nut. It's the same that holds the marker lens in.
Hope it helps

Offline Maryland Bandit

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
Its cake!!
Take out one of the lower grills.  Theres 5 fastners holding one side on. The heads are Torx head T-15 ( I think). The grill might be in there with sticky tape too. Once its out, reach up and use a 7/16" socket on it. Its a speed nut on  the emblem post. It cuts its own threads on the emblem post as you screw it down.  Get the speed nut off and the emblem lifts right out.
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am # 592
1979 Y84 S/E - sold

Offline '79 Blvd Bird

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 03:00:08 PM »
A speed-nut that cuts it's own threads on the post.  

Thanks.  I can continue without fear of ruining something.  Since I didn't see any threads I thought there was a clip on the post like my wife's ear-rings but didn't want to just pull on the clip and "pucker" the fascia.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 08:40:17 PM »
I guess I don't need to answer this, looks like you guys got it covered.  Yes, it is a speed nut and you can get to it through the grills, or reach up from underneath (a little tougher this way).
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline milly

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 12:18:42 AM »
I reached up from underneath. You will have a good amount of you arm up there, but it will work. Like Maryland Bandit said, it has a self tapping(?) speed nut that cuts it's own thread when you install a new one.

Old, red (and worn) crest:

Crest off the car:

New, gold crest. NOS part from one of my TAC buddies:

Here is all three that I have, Left-original, middle-off a parts car that I have had installed for years, and right-the new NOD gold crest:

Very easy to R&R  (remove and replace).
John
1981 Trans Am
1996 Firebird

Central Illinois Firebirds
Ohio Firebirds

Offline '79 Blvd Bird

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 08:36:50 AM »
Thanks for the info....and pictures to go along with it.

I don't care how un-easy it makes the Hitman feel.....having you TAC guys here is O.K. with me.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 10:39:07 AM »
Quote from: "'79 Blvd Bird"
I don't care how un-easy it makes the Hitman feel.....having you TAC guys here is O.K. with me.

:shock:
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 11:07:32 AM »
??

I am not uneasy at all, I enjoy having everyone here.  I'll have to show you some of my other post where I was joking around saying that I took down TAC in order to gat all of the TAC guys here.  Everyone is welcome here.

Sure, I make some snide comments once in a while, but that is my humor and sarcasm.  I welcome everyone and wish the TAC guys would stay.  I guess I just have to keep taking down and crashing TAC so that they DO stay here  :D
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline '79 Blvd Bird

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 04:28:05 PM »
Quote from: "'79 Blvd Bird"

It was just a joke......I also hang out at 78ta.com and TAC like most TA owners.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 04:30:27 PM »
Quote from: "Hitman"
I guess I just have to keep taking down and crashing TAC so that they DO stay here  :D

There it is, folks -- clear evidence that it wasn't ME... :lol:  :lol:  :wink:

Offline milly

• Adv. Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 12:10:14 AM »
I knew Brett did it all along. I just blamed you Rick, you were my "patsy".  :lol:  :lol:
John
1981 Trans Am
1996 Firebird

Central Illinois Firebirds
Ohio Firebirds