Author Topic: Brand new Tri-Y headers...get them while you can  (Read 4947 times)

Offline aronhk_md

• What doesn't kill you..........kills me to watch.
Brand new Tri-Y headers...get them while you can
« on: October 05, 2011, 11:13:54 AM »
Brand new Tri-Y headers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE EMAIL ME AT herculeaneffort@yahoo.com rather than a PM here

Ok........I have 2 sets of Tri-y headers for sale COMPLETE. Your choice if you want round or oval collectors put on them. One is an O-port, one is a D-port. These are uncoated. They fit 70-81 birds, and 68-73 GTO/Tempest/LeMans with automatic or 4 spd. $450 plus shipping. These are FINISHED and ready to ship minus the 1 hour it will take to put the collectors on.

Again.....for those waiting on old sets ordered, these are sets for sale ONLY because the bills need to be paid, not because Ron at Tribal Tubes enjoys tormenting you all and putting others ahead of you. He is dying to have this over and behind him. I have talked to Ron. He has a pile of headers made. Some will be coated, others wont. I'm not going to go into who is next in line etc. But he has to bring some cash in for the bills AND coating. I believe he plans on taking care of a majority of the old orders at one time........coated or not. Thats his decision and I know some here are going to question it.

If you want a set of these FINISHED headers let me know. Heres a description we used before for those not familiar with the Tri-Y's. Do NOT confuse them with 3 tube headers.

Fits 70-81 Firebird AND 68-73 LeMans/Tempest/GTO

Pontiac Tri-Y headers started with HO Racing's Tri-Y's years ago, and they were known for fitting tight 2nd generation birds and providing exceptional ground clearance...always a problem with headers on these cars. If you own a firebird with headers you have probably scraped them on the ground frequently. It is frustrating. Not to mention having to take a hammer to them and bang up a brand new pair of headers to make them fit! HO Racing's Tri-Y's had fixed this, but they werent around long enough for most people to know or buy a set. They stopped making them.
There were some small issues with HO Racing's design. You had to order to fit either a 4 speed manual trans, or automatic. It wouldn't fit both (at least initially). The D-port versions were a small diameter at 1 5/8", while the O-ports were 1 3/4".

But there were a lot of frustrated people who knew about these and wished they could still get them.

Here is why you want the new Tribal Tubes Tri-Y header...how they are different from what is available.

• Latest design has been fitted to BOTH 70-81 firebird/trans ams AND 68-73 LeMans/Tempest/GTOs. This is a plus because if you own both cars you could switch at some point, or if you sell them at some point you can sell to an owner of either type.

• 3/8 inch flanges. No warping or leaking here. These flanges are straight and true.

• Fits AUTOMATIC and 4 SPEED cars. When I say fits....I mean no hammer needed. LOL

• easy access to both full size starters and oil filters without removing anything

• easier access to all header bolts, including the dreaded 4th bolt back on each side

• easier installation than other designs

• best GROUND CLEARANCE of any type of header. I cant emphasize this enough. This was what made the earlier HO Racing Tri-Y's reputation, and Tribal Tubes has managed to get almost an inch more clearance than even those had. You will NOT hit these headers on driveways and speed bumps.

• 1 3/4" tubing primary tubing, secondary tubing, and 3" collector so yes.....its thick and big enough to breathe easy even on a 700 hp Butler engine as I'll mention later

• 3" collector is a slip fit design for better ground clearance

Now I'll give you some real world info on performance of these headers on Roger Bolliger's 1970 Jerry Titus clone Trans Am. He races it in Switzerland, and it features a Butler built 496ci Pontiac motor WITH....get this....Tribal Tubes Tri-Y headers 1 3/4" headers, just like the ones I am listing here (there is an erronous post floating somewhere on the net by Roger himself that they were 1 7/8", but he was mistaken. They are 1 3/4" just like the ones I'm selling here). This engine makes 700 hp. The car is blowing away the competition in europe.

There isnt a 2nd rate nut on this car....he wouldnt choose to put something on that car if it didnt perform. As a matter of fact, he seems like the kind of guy who would throw anything 2nd rate in the junk heap. I'm going to show you a couple of pics of his car, and then youtube video shot inside the car as he overtakes some of the following incredible cars. He won two out of two races, against cars like a 800 hp nascar engine powered Daytona Cobra, another Cobra, Plymouth GTX , Plymouth Hemi Cuda, Donovan powered Trans Am, Corvette with LS7 engine, and even an incredible 1000 hp(300,000 usd) LeMans Porsche. He won both races. Roger had a 19 sec lead at the finish in one race. Even if you have no interest in these headers, watch the video of the race...you'll love it!

http://www.pontiac-club.ch/Bolliger_R/DSC_0053.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/msati/4863375313/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ9fGZOcj_A

On the subject of power again.....I had the old HO Racing D-port Tri-Y's on my 73 turbo 462 trans am last year. They were a measly 1 and 5/8" tube size....but the car made 1064 hp on the dyno at 15 psi. Can we say iron heads flowing only 230 cfm? LOL Tribal Tube's new versions are far better. I'm changing to ported Edelbrock heads and will be using the Tribal Tubes O-ports. I expect to be around 1200 hp. Here is a link to the webpage on my car for anyone interested.

http://www.americantorque.com/page/1/62/

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:55:13 PM by aronhk_md »

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
Re: Brand new Tri-Y headers...get them while you can
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 06:58:33 PM »
Nice ride

Offline joe74ta

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »
I have seen these headers on LeighP's car and they are a very nice fit man wish I had some money right now just give me a couple of weeks to catch up and I will get back to you.

Offline aronhk_md

• What doesn't kill you..........kills me to watch.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 09:53:26 PM »
Thanks RRR..................contact me when you are ready Joe.  For those interested in pics of how they do NOT hang below the oil pan check out the pics in this thread. http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678170
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:58:27 PM by aronhk_md »

Offline Exiled

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 01:06:07 AM »
aronhk do you have a pic of the round port set?