Author Topic: 79 production numbers question.  (Read 2815 times)

Offline 79TransAm400

79 production numbers question.
« on: April 22, 2018, 07:40:35 AM »
I have a 1979 Trans Am. The car has darn near all the options except A/C (no need for A/C with T-Tops in my opinion) that I am in the process of doing a restoration on (planning to change very little from original, if anything) and the one option I am curious about is:

How many were made in 79 in Solar Gold, with the black interior option?

Other options include, 400/4 speed, rally gauges, 4 wheel discs, motor and suspension upgrade, etc, (found the build sheet on top of the gas tank).

I have been searching forums, sites, and clubs for the past few years to find if anyone else has one with this option, with no luck at all. I know it's not a huge deal, but I would really like to know. This car has been in my family since 1982, when my mom & dad bought it from the original owner. It was a customer ordered car, sent to a dealership here in Newport Oregon.

Would love to know if I have 1 of very few with this option, or if it is a lot more common than I know of.
Anyway, said a lot now. Thank you in advance for everyone's help.
Respect, Honor, Integrity. Settle for no less!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: 79 production numbers question.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:14:45 AM »
not that common, not that rare, has the more desirable features like the 4 wheel discs and 400 engine, and if fairly original that's a bonus to keeping it that way. I don't see the connection between aircon and T-tops, when cruising on a hot, humid day, T-Tops aren't going to be a bonus in or out. Shoot a few pics up when you get a chance.

Offline quizkid32

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »
Here's a link with production numbers. Not by color though. Still interesting.
http://tran-zam.com/1979/Home.html

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 01:48:23 PM »
Here's a link with production numbers. Not by color though. Still interesting.
http://tran-zam.com/1979/Home.html

Close as you'll get also...GM/Pontiac didn't keep records of specific options/color combos aside from SE cars. Any numbers you get would be merely a guess
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline 79TransAm400

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 05:25:53 AM »
Thank you everyone for the information, very much appreciated.

I was planning to upload some pics, but it seems my laptop screen isn't working...I'll post some pics when I get it fixed.

I am planning to keep it all original. Going to pass it on to my 3 year old son at some point, when I am willing to give it up. That will probably be when I die!  ;D

It is still in pretty rough shape, but it will be done soon. Appreciate all of the input.

Thanks all.
Respect, Honor, Integrity. Settle for no less!