Author Topic: hurst t-tops  (Read 1731 times)

Offline whirlybird

hurst t-tops
« on: March 08, 2009, 11:47:32 PM »
hi guys! i've got a question about the hurst tops, my 78 t/a has them and the seals are in very good shape but the tops fit very loose what can i do to fix this?

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
Re: hurst t-tops
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:50:54 AM »
Depends on where they're loose. The "feet" on the lock down handles are threaded so you can raise or lower them as needed. Two things to consider here. There are supposed to be little rubber bumpers at the tips of the threaded feet. Those little rubber bumpers are often missing. This would could the top to fit a little loose and also scratch up the interior plastic trim since the rubber bumper also serves to protect that. Also, you don't want to adjust the tops too tightly because you take a chance on cracking the t-top glass. I know somone that just installed new t-top weatherstripping on a vette. The new weatherstripping was thicker than the old and he didn't take that into consideration when he put the tops back on. Cracked both tops.

The other way tops can fit loose is that the slots on the t-top frame that you slide over the tabs on the roof can get wallered out causing them to not fit tightly. They make a kit that you clip onto the t-top to "fix" this problem. They are basically U shaped clips with the correct size slot cut in them. You snap them on over your worn out slots.
Randy

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:33:32 AM »
The other thing that can be done is those clips on the center of the roof that slide into the slots on the t-top itself can also be drilled out and lowered to make a tighter fit.  We did that to Hammer's t-tops.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline whirlybird

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 06:04:17 PM »
thanks for the advice. so if i do or don't try to adjust the clips on the t-top itself like Hitman says, then where would i find those u shaped clips 78ta mentioned? and yes they are worn quite a bit not just the holes in the tops but also the clips on the roof are worn.

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:06:28 PM »
I just thought of something else that could make them fit loosely at the roof clips. There are supposed to be black plastic inserts/grommets that go into the slots on the edges of the top glass frames.
No one reproduces the ones for the Hurst Hatch t's but I bought some NOS GM Fisher ones and was able to modify them pretty easily to work with my Hurst tops.

I had an original Hurst grommet to go by. The Hurst grommet is a little wider and a little shorter. Heat it up with a heat gun to reshape it and use an exacto knife to trim it. Works great. Oh, they put silicone down in the frame before they inserted the grommet to seal it and help hold it in place.

Here's an ebay auction for some. You can still get them from the dealer as well. GM number is 20066276 "Grommet". Group 12.810.
 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/78-81-Camaro-Firebird-T-Top-Retainer-Clips-NEW-GM-SET_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ290261076242QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:11:25 PM by 78ta »
Randy