Author Topic: 403 rebuild advice  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Rapp17

403 rebuild advice
« on: July 18, 2017, 04:41:01 AM »
Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask about this (I'm still new) anyway, the 403 in my 79 trans am has finlly kicked the bucket. I found some magntic metal shavings in the oil but it still maintains good oil pressure (40 cold idle 20 hot idle 50-60 when on the throttle hard) nor does it knock, tick, or burn oil. The only obvious signs of anything wrong is a little bit white steam from the valve cover breather but it's been doing that since I bought it and the odometer has rolled over 1,000 miles ago Anyway, I know I'll have to get the full story on what went wrong when I pull the motor and tear it apart but before I go though all that trouble would I even be able to rebuild it with a budget of $3,500? I'm not really looking at making a ton of power or anything like that I just want it to be reliable so I can enjoy my car again.

Offline LWS78SE

Re: 403 rebuild advice
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 06:25:25 PM »
Thats a loaded question. If nothing is seriosly wrong, just needing rods and mains, timing gears, rings ,waterpump and gaskets, you could keep it under $3500. If say the heads are cracked or need reworked , crank needs turned, block needs bored the price tag starts getting alot larger. Thats the way it usaully goes for me. :P
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law!"

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 08:19:21 AM »
A rebuild with machine work will be 5-6k min.  This is you doing no work and no buddy favors.  No way around it, its not a SBC. This includes decent parts and not the cheapest junk you can find.  You can add power to it as it will not affect cost. Just part A or B.   I have a nice rotating assembly if interested. 30 over flat top pistons. Will raise the compression to about 9-9.5:1 with your 4a heads. PM for more info.
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline Rapp17

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 01:13:32 AM »
Sorry for the long wait on a reply and thanks for the estimates! I figured it was a bit cheaper to swap in a motor than rebuild the 403 so I'm going to swap in a Pontiac 400. I currently have the 400 being built but it will take about 3 weeks to finish it. I do have a few questions about the swap. What all is compatible between the 403 and the 400? for example things like the water pump pulley and the starter. I know I need a Pontiac flex plate and motor mounts. Also I'm having a lot of trouble finding alternator and power steering brackets. I don't think I can use my brackets since they were off of a cutlass and probably won't fit on the 400.