Author Topic: Remove Hurst T-Top Frames To Change to Black Powdercoating?  (Read 3180 times)

Offline 782:56gears

Remove Hurst T-Top Frames To Change to Black Powdercoating?
« on: August 15, 2015, 08:31:58 PM »
I have a 78 that just came back from painting and has Hurst Tops. I was able to find a pair of Special Edition black T-tops in excellent condition, and would like to change over from chrome to black, including the window and door moldings.

The headliner needs to be replaced, as the bodyshop let it sit out in the rain, and I believe I can have access to the T-top frames by taking out the headliner.

I don't know if they can be removed for powdercoating or if there is filler that contacts them now. Maybe they can also be powdercoated in place, but it would be easy to blast the paint by mistake, I suppose.

Is this a feasible plan - I certainly would prefer the black chrome (especially with a red car) over the chrome of the  T-tops They are the first version T-tops ( and a good part of why they leak) although it does need new weatherstrip  as shown by how they whistle going down the highway. I got the Hatch Service Manual, and the leak can be alot of things, though.

How can I change the chrome to black without having the powder coating damage the new paint? The tech could also stand in the openings to do the job but that tape line would be very important in protecting the paint.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Remove Hurst T-Top Frames To Change to Black Powdercoating?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 10:55:54 PM »
It's my understanding that parts get "baked" in an oven after the powder application...which would make leaving them on the car sort of an issue ;)

You'd need to remove them...if you feel comfortable doing this w/o damaging your new paint job. Mar-Hyde makes a satin finish aerosol which produces very good results if you choose to skip powdercoating.

I am also restoring a Mayan Red '78 T/A but I'll be retsining the "chrome" finidh on my trim.

Any pictures to share?
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 07:59:53 PM »

If the trim does need to be baked, that is a problem. The Hatch Roof Service guide shows that the trim that contacts the roof is removable, but I don't know the history of any bodywork on the roof. I can certainly look from underneath when the headliner is out to see if any dents.

If all I have to do is prime and paint the current trim with a Mar-Hyde in black satin, that makes it a much easier changeover. I fellow I spoke to about buying front and back window moldings from in black from an SE car or 79 or later car, suggested powercoating, but I could do that with my chrome trim and not buy a second set.   I could practice on a damaged piece of  chrome window molding I have.

I would probably want to have my T-top track seals out for painting, but they need replacing, along with the headliner. Is priming and painting the chrome all there is to it?

I could only get one picture to fit, due to the file size allowed.

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 08:03:13 PM »
Here is the pic, if it will take it this time..

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 08:26:42 PM »
This should do it - only 10 percent size on the pics.

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 09:10:55 PM »
Here is the black vs. chrome.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 09:12:02 PM »
Black trim.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 10:46:24 PM »
I prefer the "chrome" look on a red car but that may just be me ;)

Yes, you can separate the roof trim and have it powdercoated...you will see how it comes off when you remove your headliner.

The original coating on the trim was anodized but the Mar-Hyde product looks pretty comparable.

Here's a link to the product on Amazon, though you can buy it almost anywhere. I would scuff, prime, apply color coat, and finish with a satin clear finish....IF you go this route.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HUNXD4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_10&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Good looking T/A btw
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette