Author Topic: Do I have the correct decals on my 78  (Read 5856 times)

Offline st louis ta

Do I have the correct decals on my 78
« on: April 30, 2011, 09:21:22 PM »
New to the forum, name is Rob and I just bought my first TA.  Got one earlier this year off the west coast.  Platinum, w72/ws6, original motor/tranny and some original interior.  Mostly in good shape with one decent repaint. Of course being a new owner I'm sinking money into it, wanted to keep it under 25k but that isnt going to happen.  Motor was pulled and will be rebuilt with a hotter cam, HO manifolds from Ram Air Resto and a Magnaflow exhaust system.  Wheels being refinished, some body & trim work along with some interior parts.  Having most of suspension replaced along with tranny rebuild/shift kit.

I have been scanning the net and did a search on this forum along with TAC(that is a different forum right?) on the correct font for a 78 TA.  I have posted my car below which I have read is the decal style from 77 but was used on some 78's.  I know the other font(block lettering)seems more common.  Does anyone know the whole story, guess you can put on what ever one wants but I'm trying to be period correct with the car. I am the 4th owner and can't trace back.  Thanks guys

Offline BLURR

• http://www.myspace.com/blurrtransam
Re: Do I have the correct decals on my 78
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 09:38:06 PM »
Looks like a nice car. Would love to see more pics. The hood bird is correct but the lettering should be the square lettering like a 79. 77 was the last year for the lettering u have. When i get home i can post u pics of my silver 78 i restored with the correct decals.
1971 Lucerne Blue Formula 400/4 speed
1977 Buccaneer Red Trans Am 400/Auto (Dads Car)
2000 Navy Blue Metallic Formula LS1/6 speed

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 09:44:28 PM »
did a search on this forum along with TAC(that is a different forum right?)

Yes, different site and forum.

I have posted my car below which I have read is the decal style from 77 but was used on some 78's.  I know the other font(block lettering)seems more common.  Does anyone know the whole story, guess you can put on what ever one wants but I'm trying to be period correct with the car.

The change in the style of lettering for the name decals was a change in '78 (somewhere around mid '78 like so many other small changes) so the style you have could well be "correct"...knowing the build date of your car might help narrow it down a bit more.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Squirrel

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Dan
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:05:43 PM »
i have a 78 with the exact same decals, different color of course, but the same style, and from what i understand is right for the car.

i believe only the w72 cars got the decals on the shaker, which yours seems right there as well.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:07:16 PM by Squirrel »
1978 Chesterfield Brown TA
1977 Camaro 4 speed with t tops
1977 Mustang Cobra II

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 11:05:23 PM »
beautiful color combo you got there.  if i remember right, i think the change was mid year 78. i remember reading an article or post about this & john witzke said mid year was the change to block lettering... same with the black tail light bezels changing from body color.   
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 11:32:44 PM »
looks good ,  other then the placement of the decal on the shaker.  it should be about 1.25" in from the rear . not the center.

the 78 L78 and Y88 got the new style lettering .. the 78 W72 got the older
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 11:35:37 PM by 4SPEED »
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline st louis ta

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 12:04:10 AM »
thank you so much TA forum members, you guys are on the ball.  Just watched Cup race from Richmond on dvr and decided to check and see if any responses.  It would seem they are correct, I am going to buy a new set of scoop decals and place them further back toward windshield as noted.  I will get more pictures posted soon.  Below is a rear shot, got the build sheet but not sure where to look for when it was manufactured?  Tail lamps are body colored so its adding up that this was an early 78.  I think they put the pontiac in the wrong spot but not sure I will mess with that.  I keep coming up with things to spend money on.  I listened on line for months on exhaust systems and decided on the header back Magnaflow 2.5 inch system due to deep rich sound.  Also bought the Pypes 2.5 stainless tips though will sand and buff the name off them.

Offline JoshRiess

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 12:15:45 AM »
That's a nice TA good buy..
                      JOSH

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 12:21:46 AM »
in the upper left of your build sheet is the month and day.   the pontiac is fine.  
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 12:24:26 AM »
got the build sheet but not sure where to look for when it was manufactured?  

It's on your build sheet but also on your cowl tag:
http://www.78ta.com/cowl1978.php

I think they put the pontiac in the wrong spot but not sure I will mess with that.

Looks right to me

Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Burd Turd

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 09:26:16 AM »
Very nice T A!
Born and Raised in South Detroit Bitches

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 11:51:50 AM »
Darn nice looking car.  The top front left nose area should not have "trans am".  You didn't post a picture but I thought I'd throw that out. It's a common mistake on 78's.  As is the shaker call out.  As far as I know, only the W72 got a shaker call out in 78.  And, you have the correct T/A 6.6 call out for your car.

Do you have the unleaded fuel decal on the rear bumper by the filler tube?

Is it an automatic or a four speed?  These cars weren't available in California new in 1978.  Where on the West Coast did you find it?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 11:55:02 AM by ta78w72 »

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 12:05:54 PM »

Do you have the unleaded fuel decal on the rear bumper by the filler tube?

now days it should read  ( COIN OP )
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 01:34:32 PM »
Nice car you got there :)
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones

Offline Squirrel

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Dan
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 04:58:28 PM »
thank you so much TA forum members, you guys are on the ball.  Just watched Cup race from Richmond on dvr and decided to check and see if any responses.  It would seem they are correct, I am going to buy a new set of scoop decals and place them further back toward windshield as noted.  I will get more pictures posted soon.  Below is a rear shot, got the build sheet but not sure where to look for when it was manufactured?  Tail lamps are body colored so its adding up that this was an early 78.  I think they put the pontiac in the wrong spot but not sure I will mess with that.  I keep coming up with things to spend money on.  I listened on line for months on exhaust systems and decided on the header back Magnaflow 2.5 inch system due to deep rich sound.  Also bought the Pypes 2.5 stainless tips though will sand and buff the name off them.

if you heat up your shaker decals with a hair dryer for a few minutes and carefully wedge a razor blade under the decal you can slowly pull it off and reapply where needed, i did it with mine with no problems.  once in place i heated them again and made sure they tacked well.
1978 Chesterfield Brown TA
1977 Camaro 4 speed with t tops
1977 Mustang Cobra II