Author Topic: is it possible?  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Sopcich04

is it possible?
« on: December 19, 2006, 11:32:40 AM »
has anyone seen pictures of a 79 trans am with a blower on it and the hood not cut? i was looking at getting a 671,but without the bird on the hood whats the point of a trans am, i might as well get a camaro

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 01:14:14 AM »
Hold on there partner! Don't go doing something all crazy as getting a
Ka-maro.

I remember a guy prostreeting around my hood back in the day in a white 78 "FantasyAm" Seems like he had to open the scoop hole quite a bit to get that blower thru the hood. I wanna say that I remember him saying that if he had pinned the hood he wouldn't have had to enlarge the hole as much. Due to the raising the hood up and down the hole had to be enlarged to clear the snout on the blower
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline Sopcich04

is it possible?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 01:46:20 AM »
i just got an e-mail from a guy at superchargerusa.com and he said the bird will always be cut.....curse the trans ams good looks!!

i guess ill just keep the shaker

Hammer

is it possible?
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 11:40:26 AM »
You may want to look at the Weiand 177 series under the hood supercharger.  Maybe Tin Indian can look into this one as his technical skills are greater than mine.  The Weiand states that the 177 has the same power as the 671 but is made primarily for cramped space condition, and was constructed to fit "under the hood without cutting".  You may want to look into this further.  You may be able to even modify your hood scoop and attach it to the hood so it looks almost original from the outside.

Here's a link: http://www.holley.com/types/Big%20Block%20Chevrolet%20-%20177%20Series%20.asp

Please remember I am only trying to help.  I hope this suggestion works for your application.

Hammer

Offline 89greencoupe

is it possible?
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 12:19:36 PM »
What about using a centifugal blower,instead of a screw type?You could run a blow through with a carburetor hat.That way you could modify the hood scoop and not the hood.Procharger or vortech make self contained blowers that are fairly easy to install.Just a thought.
89 Lx 357 ci mustang coupe.
05 suzuki gsxr1300 Hayabusa.

Offline superduty

is it possible?
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 03:29:29 PM »
I'd say you are just going to have to paint a custom bird to fit your newly cut hood.  Also, My Trans Am came from the factory with the bird delete option!  Imagine that.
cott