Author Topic: Interested in number one  (Read 4517 times)

Offline 78trans1

Interested in number one
« on: June 19, 2007, 04:18:23 PM »
does anyone know the where abouts of the first '77 trans- am produced. Does pontiac have it?

What about the fist 78 or 79. I would be interested in knowing. If anyone knows. :)
"I actually like looking at other cars, they look real nice in the rear view mirror"

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: Interested in number one
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 06:06:48 PM »
I don't think there's a lot of interest in the number one car for a model year.  I remember reading about people looking for the first T-Bird (I don't think it's on this earth any longer) and the story of the first Mustang.  Now the first firebird, I would like to have that....or the last firebird.

Offline WarbirdTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 06:14:55 PM »
 8)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:11:45 AM by WarbirdTA »

Offline 78trans1

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 07:49:23 PM »
That mustang story is pretty interesting. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything. Looks like

we have a lead on the '79. I just saw a story on the last '66 stingray and that story talked about

how he found a vette that had been sitting in the sun for years and in really bad shape. After

buying it, he was told that it wasn't worth restoring. He then did some research and found out it

was the last one made. The car was fully restored and is now worth extra because it was the last

one. Anyone else?
"I actually like looking at other cars, they look real nice in the rear view mirror"

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 11:30:44 PM »
That's because 66 was the last in that body style.  Didn't the 67 vettes change the style that year?

The last 79 may not be worth much because they continued the body style for a couple more years.  But, if it has the W72 performance package....that's worth something.

See, the last 81 T/A would probably be worth something....

WarbirdT/A...in the mid 90's these cars were dirt cheap.  You could buy nice ones with low mileage for nothing.

I remember in the late 70's I think it was...John Lennon's paisley Bentley went on sale for something like 50K.  I wonder whatever happened to that car.

Offline WarbirdTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 12:05:30 AM »
  8)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:16:23 AM by WarbirdTA »

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 10:20:44 PM »
does anyone know the where abouts of the first '77 trans- am produced. Does pontiac have it?
What about the fist 78 or 79. I would be interested in knowing. If anyone knows. :)
I know where the FIRST 1978 Production SE Trans Am is! It is on display at National Parts Depot museum.  An article in High Performance Pontiac dated August of 2006 entitled "Burt's Bandit" on page 16 it stated the first production numbered SE Trans Am.  They presented it to Burt Reynolds for his performance as a salesman for Pontiac from the movie "Smokey and the Bandit" (even had his name on the title of the car).  The build sheet was found behind the back seat and was PINK in color (they displayed the build sheet on page 20).  Pontiac used PINK build sheets to indicate a new production year or model.  This first PINK build sheet also had the hand written statement "1st Y84 Special Edition (Black)" right on it. It even had the Citizen Band radio in the dash as it was loaded. They presented it to Burt shortly after it was produced. But NPD has it now.

If that helps,
Hammer

Your just a wealth of knowledge!
Rich

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 10:09:37 AM »
The hard thing is remembering (at my age) where I read it so I can site the article.  LOL 

Uhhh...Mike?  It's also nice to remember to zip up too... ;D ;D  :-\

Offline Gold78Spc

• Ohio Firebirds President 2008
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 09:15:32 PM »

Mike is our very own Cliff Claven only we find him interesting (To everyone else he's just another mailman) !!!!
78 Gold Special Edition TA
96 GMC Sierra
99 Diamondback 18 Spd
00 Ford Windstar
04 Buick Rendezvous
05 Roadmaster tricycle

Keep on Moppin' in the Free world.

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 09:30:30 PM »
I know where the FIRST 1978 Production SE Trans Am is! It is on display at National Parts Depot museum.  An article in High Performance Pontiac dated August of 2006 entitled "Burt's Bandit" on page 16 it stated the first production numbered SE Trans Am.  They presented it to Burt Reynolds for his performance as a salesman for Pontiac from the movie "Smokey and the Bandit" (even had his name on the title of the car).  The build sheet was found behind the back seat and was PINK in color (they displayed the build sheet on page 20).  Pontiac used PINK build sheets to indicate a new production year or model.  This first PINK build sheet also had the hand written statement "1st Y84 Special Edition (Black)" right on it. It even had the Citizen Band radio in the dash as it was loaded. They presented it to Burt shortly after it was produced. But NPD has it now.

If that helps,
Hammer

All bow down to The Hammer!!! ;)
Larry

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 10:09:10 PM »
The hard thing is remembering (at my age) where I read it so I can site the article.  LOL 

Uhhh...Mike?  It's also nice to remember to zip up too... ;D ;D  :-\

That's called "Trolling"

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 05:36:34 PM »
Hammer isn't Cliff Claven.... he just knows how to use Google pretty well.  You can find anything on the Internet..even the date he had last night was found on the Internet.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline 78trans1

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 04:41:36 PM »
Thanks Hammer! :) But to everyone else, thanks for hijacking the thread >:( :( ;D

Offline blue81ta

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 07:17:30 PM »
  I remember reading about people looking for the first T-Bird (I don't think it's on this earth any longer)

Actually, it's possible the first T-bird still does exist. I remember reading an article in Motor Trend Magazine in the early 70's about a guy who was driving past a used car part/junkyard and saw an old beat up 55 T-Bird sitting out front. He talked to the owner, and bought it for $500. As he was cleaning up the interior, he looked at the vin and saw the last four numbers...0004. He thought.. WOW.. :o this is an early T-Bird!! He wrote to Ford, and they told him that... 0000- 0003 were station wagons, therefore... he had the VERY FIRST production T-Bird. He immediately had the car restored.

As he was waiting for the T-Bird to be finished, he wondered if the 1,000,000th T- Bird had been built. Again, he wrote to Ford, and asked them to check the numbers, and if it wasn't built yet, he wanted to buy it. So Ford did check. They said the 1,000,000th T-Bird, a 1972, would be built in about a month--give or take. How's that for timing !! Ford made him a deal... after it was built, they wanted to use his 0001 and the 1,000,000th for a publicity tour to various Ford dealers... after that, he could buy the 72 T-Bird... which he did.

Now my long winded point... This was over 30 years ago, but given what these cars are, It's quite possible they're still around...

Sorry this doesn't answer the initial question.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 07:19:45 PM by blue81ta »
Keith
1981 Trans Am

My safe haven from all of life's bs