Author Topic: Late 70's TA prices  (Read 7725 times)

Offline limey

Late 70's TA prices
« on: November 20, 2007, 03:10:05 PM »
Hey everyone,

Since I was a kid I thought the Trans-Am was awesome.  I'm just getting into the market, and looking for a late 70's Trans-am.  The little knowledge I have, I got from Hitman"s site. I really would like a 79 or so, with t-tops and the four speed manual.  How important are matching numbers?  I really want an original car, nothing thats been tricked out.  Any basic info would be appreciated as I am a rookie to this.  From the cars I've looked at, seems like anywhere from 15k to 25k for a descent car.  I know that they can be much more, but that would be a bit more than I am ready for.  Not looking for a full on project, but more something to tinker on.  Thanks again.
79 Heritage Brown, 400 4spd, #'s matching. 1 of 2917.

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: Late 70's TA prices
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 08:10:50 PM »
Very loaded question but I'll do what I can...

Numbers Matching - its important for resale to some extent. But the other side of the coin is that if you start out with a 80 base firebird with a V6 and convert it to a V8 anything you'll actually get more for the car as V8's are more performance oriented and draw a premium. If I was looking for a true TA I'd want numbers matching but it wouldn't deter me if the car was in good shape and had the options I wanted. All depends on whether you're looking to do a little detail work and flip a car OR hold onto it for some time, enjoying it along the way.

4sp vs. auto - the 4spds are drawing premiums as they're seen as more a performance tranny over a 3spd auto.

From your description you might be able to get a decent car in the 8k range but I wouldn't expect it to be rust free or without issues for that price. These cars keep climbing in value and a good driver needing very little is about right where you pegged it. Deals can still be had but they're drying up. Check through ebay, Hemmings, local swap sheets, etc.

If you post up some pics of cars you're looking at we can generally give you a good idea if you're on the right track or should walk away. BTW stay away from Black Tie Classics, they're not exactly on the up&up (just ask Bruce Willis about his lawsuit against them). I have first hand experience as well.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline limey

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 08:59:37 AM »
Brian C thanks for responding.   There are so many cars out there, and I feel like I'm swimming in TA's. What I really want is a solid car I can do so minor work on and have fun with on the weekends.  Hope to improve it while I own it, an keep it for quite some time.  I found a few cars I like on the internet, this is the one I like the most so far , its  ebay item 260184196036.   I havent figured out how to do the link thing yet.  Have a great Thanksgiving :)

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 09:20:13 AM »
Welcome to the site Limey, glad to have you here. 

Your probably going to pay a bundle for that car you list on e-bay.  Very clean low mile car.
Rich

Offline limey

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 09:38:01 AM »
Thanks Rich, I figured as much.  Looks like a clean car, may be out of my price range.  Good looking 75 TA.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 09:45:22 AM »
You might want to consider a 78 T/A.  You might be able to get a four speed at a better price because they made a lot more of them in 78.  But four speeds are desirable so getting one at a bargain price might be tough.  A few years ago you could get a nice original coupe with 70K mikes for around $9K 

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 12:26:53 PM »
That TA looks awfully familiar...

Here's the old auction where it didn't clear reserve:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260184196036&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:CA:1123

And here's the discussion on TAC about it:

http://transamcountry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9819

Thought it looked familiar.

As mentioned you might want to look into 78 TA's w/4spd to keep the cost down a bit for you. I would have said even 77 but the requirement for T-Tops would land you with the Hurst design which isn't the best out there from a leak or fit standpoint.

Now there is another option which might appeal to you...Take a base firebird and clone it into a TA. You'll probably be able to find a better deal on one, get a good base to build from and you would just have to change the hood (buy a shaker setup of course) and front fenders. This is exactly how I'm building an 80 TA for my sister.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!

Offline limey

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 08:53:32 PM »
Thanks guys, couldn't work out the details with the 79 on e-bay.  The owner was to busy to let me see the car before purchase. :'(   Good looking car, it is over in "cars for sale" on the forum.   Good luck to other bidders, let me know if one of you buy it. Still looking :)

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 09:27:36 PM »
If the owner's too busy then yah I'd walk. Good choice there. They keep coming up on eBay and Hemmings (among others) so just be patient and you'll find the one you're looking for.

Offline TA78+99

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 10:54:48 PM »
Hi Limey.  Well I'm maybe just a few steps ahead of you.  I just bought a 78 w72, 4spd, t-top, WS6.  I noticed the car on e-bay and in the local autotrader.  It was within a few hours drive so I checked it out.  102K miles on the original motor and little if any rust.  I did the research and everything checked.  I purchased the car a shade under $17K.  Now I didn't do this on a whim - I've been seriously looking for a few years.  So take some time - if if doesn't feel right I wouldn't do it - there will be others.  Be careful on E-bay as well.  There are a lot of phishy cars out there - so definitly check the numbers - this site is a great resource.  If you send the VIN to PHS they can send you the original dealer invoice for that car in a day via fax.  Probably worth the $65, considering what these cars are going for.  Lots of Luck.   
1978 W72, 4SPD, WS6, Hurst Hatches, Brown, 102K Miles
1999 LS1, 6Spd, Black, 11K Miles

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 12:45:07 AM »
That TA looks awfully familiar...

Here's the old auction where it didn't clear reserve:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260184196036&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:CA:1123

And here's the discussion on TAC about it:

http://transamcountry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9819

Thought it looked familiar.

As mentioned you might want to look into 78 TA's w/4spd to keep the cost down a bit for you. I would have said even 77 but the requirement for T-Tops would land you with the Hurst design which isn't the best out there from a leak or fit standpoint.

Now there is another option which might appeal to you...Take a base firebird and clone it into a TA. You'll probably be able to find a better deal on one, get a good base to build from and you would just have to change the hood (buy a shaker setup of course) and front fenders. This is exactly how I'm building an 80 TA for my sister.

I believe that is a dealer (I also suspect it is a member here)...I've seen a few T/A's on ebay last few months and all the pix have been taken in that same location.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline limey

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 08:23:09 AM »
TA78+99, thanks.  I am getting ready to drive a couple hours to see a 79 TA this weekend.  I have the build sheet and have spoken to the owner.  Thanks for the advise, I'm definitely going to take my time. 

Offline limey

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 01:01:23 PM »
Well, I bought the 79 T/A in Augusta.  Numbers match, and it seems to run strong.  Got lots of thumbs up and horn honks on the short drive to the cars new home. Still trying to wipe the smile of my face. Seems like the cost of the car is just the start. Kinda figured that.  All the major stuff is good, needs small cosmetic stuff here and there.  I need a speedometer cable, and some parts for under the hood.  If you guys have any advise I would sure appreciate it.  Any site better than the other?  Hope to  post picture later.  Thanks again everyone.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 01:17:09 PM »
Glad to hear you got it!  We'll be waiting for the pics! :) ;)

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 02:56:47 PM »
Any site better than the other?? You have found it right here!  ;D
You can pick up the speedo cable at any parts store ;)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette