Author Topic: Wheel painting  (Read 2377 times)

Offline DavidGilmour

Wheel painting
« on: August 26, 2008, 06:44:06 PM »
I've been spending about a week stripping the paint off my honeycombs and polishing them up. Only problem I think I may have is painting the rims again.  Does anyone have an estimate of what it might cost to take them to a shop and have it done? I could even tape them up. All I would have them do is put the PPG paint on.
79 Trans Am WS6 (SE Clone)
2011 camaro 2ss/rs

Offline Helter80

Re: Wheel painting
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 07:17:27 PM »
i did my 15X7 snowflakes myself, with the help of brett's article here on this website. mine came out good. i had a friend of mine bead blast them, then i taped the edges and used the color Argent to paint the wheels. it was spray paint and i put on three coates on each wheel, plus a coat of clearcoat in a spray can after. here is the link to Brett's article:  http://www.78ta.com/resto/rims.htm
www.transamplus.com
Rob

79 Trans Am- Nocturne Blue,T-Tops,403,Camel Tan Deluxe Interior

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 12:15:27 AM »
I've been spending about a week stripping the paint off my honeycombs and polishing them up.

I assume you mean snowflake rims...honeycombs are polycast with no visible metal edges to polish.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 02:47:10 PM »
im sure a good shop, if you had them prepped and everything, would cost you less than 100 dollars, if they prime then sand then prime then sand then paint then prob aroudn the 150-200 range...
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline DavidGilmour

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 10:13:35 PM »
Yea sorry I do mean snowflake rims. I had an estimate today that said it would cost $130 per a rim to do sanding and paint. Once I told them I had already preped the wheels they said they would do it for $90 a rim. That seems real steep to me.  I may end up giving them a try myself. I do live in columbus ohio and I see many people on the boards live in ohio as well. If any of you have suggestions on a good body shop for a new paint job on the actual car I'd appreciate that as well. I should have the car all ready to be painted in a month or 2. In the past week we totally redid the brakes and put new shocks on the front and back. We tried the slanting seat fix, but didn't have any luck with it on our 79.
2011 camaro 2ss/rs

Offline ScottD3

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 01:53:36 PM »
Hitman is in Ohio, call or email him about your wheels.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 02:03:11 PM »
wow 90 a rim? that is steeep if i was in town id spray them for a pack of ol bud light.... but check with hitman he is only a few hours away....
Eroc

Offline DavidGilmour

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 10:37:35 PM »
Yea I'm tired of messing with it. I just went and bought a few cans of spray paint closest to the original gold I could find. I started taping the rims up and the gold actually looks pretty sweet on there. I'll post some pics when I finish them up. We had to take the fender off the passesnger side while doing the brakes, so we figured now would be a good time to fix the heater core as well.
2011 camaro 2ss/rs

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 11:52:08 AM »
well theres some initiative...
Eroc