Author Topic: Not a Trans Am but...................  (Read 2609 times)

Offline TransAmGuy

• '78 in progess.............
Not a Trans Am but...................
« on: July 24, 2007, 08:46:44 PM »
......sweet none the less.   I held off posting this for a while because I was starting to get embarrassed.  My brother has been helping me search for parts for my '78 T/A.  He had a buddy that claimed to know where one was sitting and he could get it if I wanted it.  I told him that I would be interested in seeing it.  So I get a call one day about 2 months ago.  The guy has the car and I can come look at it.   We get there and there is a '79-'81 Formula sitting on a car trailer.  At the time, I was really hunting quarter panels and these were solid.  So I had an interest in the car.  I'll try to make a long story short.  I asked the guy how much for the quarters and he told me that he didn't want to part the car out.  He wanted to sell the entire car.   I figured I would offer $200 each for the quarters but I wasn't sure I wanted the entire car.  But I went ahead and asked how much he wanted.  He said that he gave $100 to get it and that he was going to take it to the chipper and get $250 for it if I didn't buy it.  Then he said he would take $300 for the entire car.  So I bought it.   Only he didn't have the title yet.   This is where I got foolish.  I trusted him.  I had him haul the car to my brother's house and drop it off.   He was going to get the title that afternoon and bring it back by.  Took two months and a trip to the Sec of State before the title appeared.  But it's here and the car is clear.  I gave it to my brother.  He's going to restore it.  And it won't take much.  Body is intact.  Hood needs to be replaced.  Engine runs but needs refreshed.  Paint is faded bad, but no rust.  Interior is faded bad.  The car is the Root Beer Metallic brown.  Did I mention that it has 28,000 miles on it?

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 08:51:33 PM by TransAmGuy »
Vance

1978 Trans Am
1987 GTA
1995 Grand Am
2003 Grand Prix

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Not a Trans Am but...................
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 09:12:10 PM »
Wow, now that's a survivor story!  Get some pics up for us.
Rich

Offline TransAmGuy

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 09:23:07 PM »
I'll try to get over there to get some pics of it this week.  Going to the Brickyard this weekend.   Man, I was really getting worried that I had bought a hot car...........

Vance

1978 Trans Am
1987 GTA
1995 Grand Am
2003 Grand Prix

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 09:42:35 PM »
Hey...good score!  Can't wait to see the pics!  I've got a guy wanting us to go to the Brickyard with him -- but I dunno...the weather forecast seems to be getting hotter by the minute.  After I had heat stroke 8 years ago, I just don't do well when the temps go over 90 and I'm stuck in the sun for 4-5 hours... :-\ :-\ :(

Offline TransAmGuy

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 09:46:17 PM »
Hey Rick,

My tickets are near the start/finish line under the overhang.  We are in the shade all day.  I've already got rid of the spare ticket for this year though.
Vance

1978 Trans Am
1987 GTA
1995 Grand Am
2003 Grand Prix

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 09:48:03 PM »
OOOHHH!  The Paddock!  I had ticket for the 500 in that section for about 12 years...GREAT seats!  Yep, that's THE place to be!  And it's nice in case there is a rain delay too! ;)

Offline TransAmGuy

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 09:51:27 PM »
Oh yeah, we started off in Turn 3.  Got roasted.   Went for the upgrade.   LOL
Vance

1978 Trans Am
1987 GTA
1995 Grand Am
2003 Grand Prix

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 11:00:12 PM »
And your money was well spent!  We've been to many races at IMS, but those seats in the Paddock were by far the best seats we've had -- and that includes seats in one of the suites for one race...you were just out in the unrelenting sun whenever you sat outside. :-\ :-\