Author Topic: Exhaust queation  (Read 3448 times)

Offline banditt5

Exhaust queation
« on: July 21, 2013, 08:06:52 PM »
I have a 79 trans am w/400 pontiac in it. It came originally w/403, so it still has factory exhaust. I took off the turbo mufflers that I have run on it scince 1995, I was looking for more growl and a more powerful sound. So I bought 2 flowmaster delta 40's, and 250 bucks or so later, now I would swear its quieter than before. No growl to it at all. I dont know much about the motor, other than its got a 490 lift lunati cam, so it has a lope at idle. I was hoping it would be at least as loud as the 305 comaro that is in my neiborhood, but not even close. I almost think my v6 firebird is louder than my 79 now. My question is, could it have anything to do with my catalytic converter, it looks to be factory, or do I need headers to get a powerful sound out of this car? any input would be great, thanks

Offline Dinero

• SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI "
Re: Exhaust queation
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:57:03 PM »
Does your 79 have a catalytic converter?
Desi Dinero

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni

Offline winks79

• Chad
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 11:08:47 PM »
If it still has the factory converter, then that is your main problem. If you are required to have a converter, you can buy higher flow converters for each side that will still let you pass smog, but also allow for a nice loud rumble that you are after. A custom exhaust shop should be able to hook you up with some, but I don't know how much money you are willing to spend on an exhaust system. I have a stock 403 in mine with no headers, no converter, and run a Pypes x-pipe system with Pypes Street Pro mufflers, and love the sound. Not too loud, but not quiet either.

Offline winks79

• Chad
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:09:48 PM »
Does your 79 have a catalytic converter?
Converters were required in the US on all automobiles beginning in 75' and later models.

Offline FrenchyTA

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 07:43:07 AM »
Hi winks79,

I would like to put a crossflow exhaust system in order to replace a bad work done by the previous owner.
I already select two items made by two manufacturers but with a similar price. So I would like to have your opinions about it.
The first one is Flowmaster in aluminized steel:
http://www.firebirdcentral.com/1967_1981_Flowmaster_American_Thunder_Crossflow_p/fue-650.htm
The second one is Pypes in Stainless Steel:
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/pye-sgf70

Waiting for your opinion!!!

Offline Dinero

• SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI "
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 09:39:53 PM »
State engine specs and what system you have right now?
Desi Dinero

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni