Author Topic: Turbo Display Bar Reproduction - Turbo TA  (Read 15219 times)

Offline TurboTA

Turbo Display Bar Reproduction - Turbo TA
« on: March 16, 2013, 09:17:40 AM »
Members:
In the past 18 months, an informal survey returned interest in making the turbo display bar as a reproduction item.  After months of recreating a CAD drawing in order to obtain an RFQ, this idea (thanks to Joe at 301 Garage) is slowly becoming a reality. 

I am trying to find an easy way for members or any owner of a Turbo TA (in need of a replacement turbo light bar display) to respond?  I am not sure if this forum offers a survey tool or not? 

In any event, the final product will be expensive.  I realize many owners in the past have responded with "if it's about $50 or $100, I'll take one), I wish we could make it that cheap.  If cheap was our goal, quality would obviously be equal. 

The factory turbo light bar display is two pieces, connected by epoxy.  It was manufactured the color orange, same color as the display lens (low, medium, high).  The vendor sprayed it the color flat black, then applied decals (that also easily wore off).  We are attempting to make the unit as one piece, exactly the same design as a factory unit. 

So, as I approach vendors with an RFQ on a 100% "stock looking" turbo light display, I need to survey how many pieces to order?  Aside from exact numbers, how about a range?  50 pieces?  200 pieces?  The cost for both will not change much, just need to gauge the interest or demand?  I am trying to avoid a ridiculous tooling cost by talking with plastic vendors associated with our local Fisher-Price factory.  However, I imagine the cost will be close to $300-$400 per unit?   

Any suggestions? 

Paul
Paul
1980 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car Edition
1996 Corvette C4

Offline 81Turbo TA

Re: Turbo Display Bar Reproduction - Turbo TA
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 10:45:22 AM »
I'm wondering if the category 'not interested' helps any.  Some people with non turbos may click on it just for the fun of it. or turbo people who dont need a light bar.   I think any turbo owner who has a cracked/missing one would be somewhat interested.  If they are priced around the ebay price, or better, then I wouldnt see a problem also.

Offline TurboTA

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:54:59 AM »
The problem with the current or OEM turbo light bar is material.  The vendor for GM used a material that isn't able to withstand heat.  Since the Turbo motor generates a great deal of heat, all of the turbo light bars will crack (for those few remaining). 

The idea here is to reproduce the turbo light bar, using the same OEM design, using a different material.  The key here is OEM, not some other design that seems "cool." 

The cost will be significant due to tooling costs.  There has been a great deal of interest from members of 301 Garage. 

I think once it's offered, the demand will change... 

Paul
Paul
1996 Corvette C4

Offline TurboTA

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:29:22 PM »
Members:
The process of reproducing the turbo light bar is moving along.  The Vo-Tech school produced several prototypes using 1:1 ratio printouts of the 3D CAD design.  After some adjustments to the dimensions and rendering new 3D drawings, we appear to have a final drawing, in 3D, with complete dimensions and electronic files of the Turbo Light Bar Display. 

While the instructor has shared the prototype with vendors, I'll need to stop into this process to find a suitable vendor.  At some juncture, I need some prototypes from one of these vendors in order to measure the quality. 

On a similar note, a new Turbo Light Bar Display will not be a cheap item.  The price will obviously be based on the cost to manufacture since the school completed design at a very low cost.  Please stay tuned or email me directly at pinto@roadrunner.com for more information. 

Paul
Paul
1996 Corvette C4

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 08:49:50 AM »
I am posting these pix for "TurboTA"...with a brief introduction in his words.
I will let him chime in with further info.

Looks like this will be a great looking part IMO.

"These are .jpg pictures of the Autocad screen showing the final rendering of the design (front and back or rear)."

Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline TurboTA

Re: Prototype - Turbo Light Display
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:44:33 PM »
The new 3D Printing process seems to be the best alternative to reproduce this component.  In order to avoid a $25,000 investment in tooling, a 3D printing process in small quantities (using the AutoCAD Files) is the best method available.  Unfortunately, the cost per unit is close to $785.00.  This cost does not include the decals however, it's an investment for any owner. 

I plan to manufacture a couple of prototypes (2 pieces) and am looking for any interested yet serious Turbo Formula or T/A owners to inspect (and obviously return) the unit. 

If you are interested, please let me know. 

Thanks.
Paul
Paul
1996 Corvette C4

Offline TurboTA

Re: Turbo Boost Display OE Reproduction
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 11:31:41 AM »
To date, we have discovered the following materials for our 3D Printing manufacturing process.  Based upon our non-disclosure agreement with the vendors and two private company donors, I can share the following.  The timeline is nearing for a prototype of five units. 

Materials:
PC - Polycarbonate; Used for Aerospace Applications with a temperature tolerance of 261 degrees F.

PC-ABS; widely used for production parts in the Auto and Medical Industries, with a lower temperature tolerance of 215 degrees F. 

TBD.  A material, process and manufacturer for the orange inserts, translucent, strong tensile strength with same temperature tolerance.  Need to acquire the decals, select hardware for mounting and design a box for shipping OE reproduction unit.   

Paul
Turbo TA
pinto@roadrunner.com
Paul
1996 Corvette C4

Offline TurboTA

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 10:23:11 PM »
We have finally completed the design phase of an OEM original replacement Turbo Boost Display for your Turbo T/A. Email me for a copy of the .jpg renderings that provide the final front and rear 3D Modeling templates. The plan is to print the translucent orange material for each of the three (Low, Medium & High) boost openings for lens.

Please feel free to share among any Turbo owners. This OEM replacement is an exact replacement for your worn, broken or faded Turbo Boost Display. The factory wiring harness will mount the same, the turbo boost display will mount to your factory hood bezel, no modifications are needed!

We will be providing a complete turnkey product including the four decals (Low, Medium, High & Turbo Charge). We will be manufacturing five initial prototypes. If anyone is interested in placing an order, we will need about another month to evaluate the prototypes. These units will be manufactured in small lots and pricing is yet to be made available. We are planning to utilize an ABSi thermoplastic material able to withstand 288/F of heat with great tensile strength.

Email me with any ideas or to reserve a unit.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Email: turboboost@roadrunner.com

Cell: 716-949-9082
Paul
1996 Corvette C4

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 10:59:41 AM »
As an update, the OEM remanufactured version of the Turbo Boost Display is ready.  The prototype phase is complete. I will be sending out an email soon along with various forums the details to order the Turbo Boost Display for your Turbo Trans Am.  Please expect to receive this information in the next week to ten days. 

If you have any questions, please email me. 

Thanks for your interest.

Paul
pinto@roadrunner.com
Cell:  716-949-9082
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 07:58:36 PM »
An OEM exact original replacement Turbo Boost Display for your Pontiac Turbo Trans Am.

Turbo Trans Am, Turbo Boost Display, designed and manufactured in the USA as an exact OEM replacement for your worn, broken or missing Turbo Boost Display.

Manufactured from PC-ABS plastic, designed to withstand extreme engine  temperatures, UV safe and functional translucent orange Turbo Boost display  indicators.

Perfect alignment to the factory Turbo Display hood bezel. The Turbo Boost Display aligns perfectly with all factory OEM equipment.

These units are available with a one to three week lead time, as pictured here.

Price: $589.00 plus shipping.

Terms: U.S. Postal Money Order ONLY.

Contact Information:
 Paul Pinto
 pinto@roadrunner.com
 Cell:  716-949-9082
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 08:02:49 PM »
The factory Turbo Display for the 301 Turbo Trans Am, by GM's Pontiac Division were originally designed as:
 + Injection Molded plastic, a poor and inconsistent manufacturing process.
 + The entire component was orange Translucent plastic, painted flat black.
 + The plastic material was unable to sustain its' integrity when exposed to UV and engine operating temperatures.
 + The plastic material used by GM's Pontiac Division was a poor choice of materials, resulting in cracking, fading and losing all of its' integrity.
 + Owners are faced with gluing the cracks, repainting the finish in order to correct these factory defects.

Our design, as many customers continue to experience, offers the following:

1. An OEM exact original replacement for your 301 Turbo Monitor; Pontiac Turbo Trans Am.

2. Designed and manufactured in the USA as an exact OEM replacement for your worn, broken or missing Turbo Boost Display.

3. Manufactured using 3D Modeling, from PC-ABS plastic, designed to withstand extreme engine  temperatures, UV safe.

4. The orange light indicators are functional translucent PC-ABS material, using the same properties of 3D Modeling, UV safe and able to withstand extreme engine temperatures.

5. Finally, a perfect alignment to the factory Turbo hood bezel. The 301 Turbo Monitor aligns perfectly with all factory OEM equipment and hardware to your hood bezel.

These units are available with a one to three week lead time, as pictured here. MSDS data is available upon request for the PC-ABS material or translucent lenses.

Price: $480.00 plus shipping.

Terms: U.S. Postal Money Order or paypal ONLY.

Contact Information:
 Paul Pinto
 Email:  pinto@roadrunner.com
 Cell: 716-nine four nine-908 two.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am