Author Topic: interior colors  (Read 1828 times)

Offline wildman

interior colors
« on: July 27, 2007, 01:53:58 AM »
i have a question regarding the interior of my 77 t/a. i know that a two tone interior could be had on these cars but i can't find the colors that mine has. i'm in the process of bringing it back to life and undecided on the interior color. it has tan carpet, seats, dash and trim but the seat belts and console are black. if this is something rare, i'll stay with those colors but if it was changed, i'll probably go back all black. it seems to be easier to find. what you guys think?

wildman

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
Re: interior colors
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 06:12:42 AM »
Have you gotten the PHS (Pontiac Historical Services) documentation on the car?  That will certainly tell you the correct interior color.
Rich

Offline Gold78Spc

• Ohio Firebirds President 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 07:35:29 AM »
Are you talking about the tan hobnail cloth (has a square pattern in the center)  They were making repro of that. Not sure how good it was you would have to ask Hitman.  The tan interior with black belts and console is not real common, but I have seen it before.
78 Gold Special Edition TA
96 GMC Sierra
99 Diamondback 18 Spd
00 Ford Windstar
04 Buick Rendezvous
05 Roadmaster tricycle

Keep on Moppin' in the Free world.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 09:31:11 AM »
That wouldn't be an original color scheme.  The two tone tan interior had a darker tan color for the console and lighter tan for the seats and doors.  I've never seen a black tan color combination.  Check your cowl plate for the correct color.

Offline edek

• BlkOnyx
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 09:45:07 AM »
I have seen 2 black cars with that combination and i think that looked nice but i know that they custom redid there interior to get it that way.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 10:24:31 AM »
I agree with ta78w72
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline wildman

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 02:46:32 PM »
thanks for the info. it's not the cloth seats. none the less they will need recovering. the rear seat bottoms will have to be replaced. the frame and springs are shot. the fronts and rear backrest are decent. just got to find the frames for the rear bottoms. i'm going to get the phs documents soon.

wildman

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 12:32:23 AM »
Yes, having a two tone interior with two colors of tan is the norm for these cars.  If you look at most of them, they came that way.  The option for the seat belts was extra.  So, if you wanted the seat belts to be color coded to match your interior, you had to pay extra for that.  So, I have seen tan interior with black seat belts.  But I will say the black console in not factory.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline wildman

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 04:48:42 AM »
thanks guys. you have helped alot. Hitman, you are the man.

wildman

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 01:10:19 PM »
Yeah, my daughters car has that two tone tan in her 77.  She doesn't like it.  She got used to driving my 78 that had all the same color tan interior...including the seat belts which I ordered that way.  I remember the sales guy asking me if I want color matching seat belts or black.  I thought that was a crock...of course I want the seat belts to match.  That car went to the scrap heap with a perfect console and a perfect tan dash, still containing the original delco AM/FM cassette.  I almost threw my original service manual out after she wrecked the car.  I was so angry and sad at the same time.