Author Topic: Computer room's  (Read 50550 times)

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
Re: Computer room's
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 08:29:56 PM »
i use "thumb drives" daily for gis projecets for school as a cds and floppys some times are not large enough for very large projects
speed kills drive a ford and live forever

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 08:34:26 PM »
i use "thumb drives" daily for gis projecets for school as a cds and floppys some times are not large enough for very large projects

Is that "GIS" like Geographic Information Systems?  What kind of projects are you doing? ???

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 09:01:32 PM »
my bigest is 164MB so far this semister. would that fit on a cd?

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 09:17:02 PM »
CDROMs will hold up to around 700 MB.

Offline pat

• Adv. Member
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 09:20:04 PM »
they are relly that big?

o well i hav 4 GIGs that i got for like $9.00

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 04:30:03 PM »
or you could use a DVD5 disk that is 4.7GB or go to DVD9  (dual layer) that holds 8.5GB. and then theres the BD (BLue Ray Disk) that can hold 25GB/50GB depending on if single or dual layer.
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 07:29:33 PM »
I have the Dual-Layer DVD and the Blu-Ray in my PC.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 07:39:31 PM »
I have the Dual-Layer DVD and the Blu-Ray in my PC.

currently have the Dual layer DVD burner missed out on the sale of the century.. Local Circuit City going out of business and they had 5 BlueRay burners for 80 bucks each went back 2 days later and they were all gone.. grrrrr the price you pay for waiting till you have cash instead of charging it....
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2009, 11:16:59 PM »
OK -- so reading this thread has caused me to start another project.  I've been thinking I wanted to do something with my home office for a while now, but I'm rethinking the way I work and how technology has changed since I started using this room as an office in 1988.

It's going to go from one "L" shaped desk, a 30" X 60" table, a 30" X 48" table, and a printer stand to 2 "L" shaped desks set for corner workstations and ~ 9' of 84" tall bookcases.  It will be a completely new layout with totally new furniture.

Step One will be to replace my 20 year old computer seat and ancient desk chair.  Step 2 will be to install the bookcases.  Step 3 will be to reroute phone lines and cable access.  Step 4 will be to set up the new workstation desks.

It'll be cool when it's finished. ;)

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2009, 11:27:38 PM »
OK -- so reading this thread has caused me to start another project.  I've been thinking I wanted to do something with my home office for a while now, but I'm rethinking the way I work and how technology has changed since I started using this room as an office in 1988.

It's going to go from one "L" shaped desk, a 30" X 60" table, a 30" X 48" table, and a printer stand to 2 "L" shaped desks set for corner workstations and ~ 9' of 84" tall bookcases.  It will be a completely new layout with totally new furniture.

Step One will be to replace my 20 year old computer seat and ancient desk chair.  Step 2 will be to install the bookcases.  Step 3 will be to reroute phone lines and cable access.  Step 4 will be to set up the new workstation desks.

It'll be cool when it's finished. ;)

Hey Rick ,I am really looking forward to making myself a desk kinda like you describe . This corner one I bought is the only style I like ,as I find the ones facing the wall seem kinda cramped for room where your monitor sits . I hope to build an L shape desk myself ,using my existing desk as a template for part of it .
I like the feel of my desk I have  now,but I really want to refine it further .
Like you ,I am going to do some wire relocating also to clean things up some what . I think it's going to be kind of fun ,plus maybe a learning experiance .
I have all the tools ,just need the ambition ,and gotta put the Beer down for a few weeks

btw I hope you post pics when your done Rick ,sounds like it's going to be one kick@ss computer room when it's done
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:30:04 PM by RainMan »

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2009, 11:47:43 PM »
Well, the project got a giant boost today when I received the new seating.  I had been making do with a 20 year old workstation stool I bought new, and a desk chair circa 1970.  Those are getting the heave-ho after I bought two workstation chairs intended for people who sit behind a keyboard for 5+ hours a day.  These suckers are NICE!  Fully adjustable arms, seat height, seat fore-and-aft adjustment, adustable arms, adjustable lumbar support for you back, adjustable tilt, and adjustable head rest (they are high-backed).  Most comfortable seat I've ever sat in, outside the TWA 747 captain's seat in the cockpit I had the good fortune to set in once. ;)

I'm still working out the desks, and the bookcases are now defined -- all I have to do is nail down the measurements and order them.

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2009, 02:46:53 AM »
Well, the project got a giant boost today when I received the new seating.  I had been making do with a 20 year old workstation stool I bought new, and a desk chair circa 1970.  Those are getting the heave-ho after I bought two workstation chairs intended for people who sit behind a keyboard for 5+ hours a day.  These suckers are NICE!  Fully adjustable arms, seat height, seat fore-and-aft adjustment, adustable arms, adjustable lumbar support for you back, adjustable tilt, and adjustable head rest (they are high-backed).  Most comfortable seat I've ever sat in, outside the TWA 747 captain's seat in the cockpit I had the good fortune to set in once. ;)

I'm still working out the desks, and the bookcases are now defined -- all I have to do is nail down the measurements and order them.

Sounds like your off to a great start ,and by the sounds of what you have been sitting on ,some well deserved replacements.
I gotta say having a decent computer chair is a good purchace. Mine is so,so ,and I would love to have a better one .
Can you post a link Rick so I can take a look at them ,they sound awesome

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »
Can you post a link Rick so I can take a look at them ,they sound awesome

Here ya go... all this needs is a leg rest and massage, and it would likely be illegal in 15 states... ;)

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/450995/Realspace-PRO-10000-Series-Fabric-Multifunction/

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2009, 02:57:09 PM »
I see you can get it leather also  ,thats the puppy I want. I have a nice one so I thought ,but my tail bone gets sore after a while .I broke it dirt biking ,and it never was the same .
I don't mind paying the extra bucks for one that has some decent quality . Especially considering the amount of time I put it on the comp
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 06:19:59 PM by RainMan »

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2009, 11:23:33 PM »
I thought about leather, but after looking at one in cloth I popped for those.  The cloth breathes pretty well.  I was a little concerned about how leather would feel after a long time in hot weather.

Man it's NICE having all these adjustments available!  I can crank this thing around however I want it! :D :D