Author Topic: Saratoga '10 whos going?  (Read 25941 times)

Offline S76GUY

Re: Saratoga '10 whos going?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 04:33:36 PM »
Yea Buddy
I knew you would.
Tony T.

Offline hdebo

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 05:38:19 PM »
I'll definitely be there next year!
Harry

"A Camaro looks like it can kick your a**,  A Trans Am looks like it's coming over to do it"

Offline Black_Bird_99

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 06:19:59 PM »
Hey Guys,

I am not trying to hi-jack this thread, just put in a little info. I am so glad that you enjoyed the show.  When I think of our beginnings, two guys, Tom S and Keith F, wishing for a Firebird only event in the Albany-Saratoga area, and making it happen.  The original idea was hatched at the Adirondack Nationals on a field with 2000 cars including hot-rods, Mudstains, Mopars, etc, etc, etc.  I will have the final stats in a few days, but for sure, it was a new official record number of cars at 157 total Firebirds.  Last year the number was 139, so in this economy, I could not be happier!  I am still smiling so much my face hurts.  ;D

Everyone was very generous with their purchases and Special Olympics was the big winner.  I do not have the final financials, but should have the final numbers in a few more days. (We need to do more than just count money.  We need to deduct cost of ice, hot dogs, buns, t-shirts, etc, etc, etc)

Our pledge to you:  provide the best possible show in quantity and quality while operating as a fund-raiser, not a fund spender.  All money goes to Special Olympics.  We have no budget.

As show founder and organizer, I could not do this without my most competent all volunteer staff for which I am so grateful:

First of all, I rely so heavily on my wife, Trailer Queen Sandy Smith.  She gets the insurance policy for the show.  No insurance, no show.  Then she gets the NYS Health Department food permit, she works with Special Olympics New York and Special Olympics Saratoga to get the fundraising permit.  Sandy begs for (and receives) local donations, goes and picks up those donations, makes copies of the registration forms, judging sheets, show guidelines, show flyers, club applications, etc.  She orders the show t-shirts and runs the errands.  She buys the hot dogs, buns, soda, water, etc.  At the show, she does an outstanding job managing the registration trailer and getting 157 Firebirds through registration in very little time.

I also rely heavily on my main show advisors, Keith F (Blue81) and Eddie B (you know his car, the crazy goldzilla 86 TA) for their ideas before, during and after the show.  I tend to be a wild and crazy guy.  These guys help keep me in line.  From field layout and parking, show car classes, and judging guidelines, and more, I rely heavily on these two guys as my main guys.  Throw in Eddie’s excellent registration trailer, and you see my point.  These guys are also my very good friends.

At the show, FNONA, Inc. VP Joe Carey, what can I say?  The best!  He can take a disaster and turn it into an award winning event.  I guess that is the PD training.  Everyone needs a savior; he has been my savior more than once.

Next comes all the other staff from FNONA, Inc. and Special Olympics Saratoga.  This group consists of the trailer queens, the food staff, the parking staff, and the judging staff.  Each year the show gets bigger and each year I ask the staff to perform faster, harder, longer, and each year they do an outstanding job!  They are so important to our success.

Your show DeeJay, DJ Nolan, Special Olympics athlete bowler and golfer, kept you tapping your toes and humming tunes.  At some point when we have 735 Firebirds on the field, we may need a pro but until then, athlete DJ Nolan is our man!

Our athletes out on the field, having fun with regular people and wonderful cars, passing out awards and feeling great about doing it!  What can I say, I am lost for words.

At this time, no changes are planned for the show location or official show hotel. 8)   As long as the park service 'allows' us to be there  ::), we will not change for 2010.  My favorite saying, if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it!  The big change for 2010 will be the Cruise location.  We will keep the most excellent  SSPD ‘Police Protection’ but we will move the destination a larger place that is better able to accommodate us with paved entrance and paved parking.  ;)

As our show gets bigger and bigger, our staffed get more strained.  In order to support a show of 200+ Birds, we need more volunteer staff.  More parkers, more qualified judges.  It is important that our judges know their stuff.  That is one of the ways that we provide a quality show.  We do not want a 200 car show with a 100 car staff. :-[

Speaking of the Cruise: >:D
Our FNONA, Inc. VP Joe Carey is also President of the SSPD PBA.  He has suggested that we use the SSPD PBA Hall and Grove as the Cruise destination next year.  The total trip would be about the same distance as previous cruises, and the route would be almost the same, but the driveway going in is all paved (no stones) and the parking lot is all paved.  Plus we would have a large indoor hall capable of seating a large Firebird group.  Beyond the paved lot, is a large grassy field about the same size as the show field, so if we do something stupid crazy like have 100-150 Firebird Cruise, we could accommodate that too!   :o

The point is if it is sunny, we hang in the grove.  If threat of rain, we hang inside under shelter.  :(

The only detail is to figure is how we feed everyone and how we pay for it.  A few thoughts come to mind.  One club member suggested we order 24 cut pizzas and bottles of soda when we leave the Museum.  That way, the pizzas arrive shortly after we get all the Birds nested.  We take up a collection before the Cruise, and pay when we get there.

Another suggestion was that we get a few club members to go early to the PBA hall.  When the cruise leaves the Museum, we call the PBA hall and tell the grill folks to get the food started.  We could do burgers and dogs, chips, and soda (pop).

IMO, if the cruise takes the second direction, we have to take reservations for the cruise and pay in advance.  Someone collects the money in a PayPal account.  That account covers cost of food and volunteers get it ready.  Maybe some non-car 'better-halfs' could get it ready?  In great weather, the cruise is a big success, everyone comes and is happy, nobody looses.  If rain, nobody comes, the club or the organizer looses if we have to buy hot dogs, burgers, soda, etc. well in advance and we wind up giving everything to the local soup kitchen.

So please, give me some ideas.  Although I am a local (Saratoga), I would hang with everyone else.  I love circling the trailers on Friday night (mine will not be there, it is full of everything for the show) and hanging with the crew.  Lets brain storm and get this going.

Thanks again for coming to the 7th Annual All Firebird Lawn Show.     

Warm and best wishes,

Tom Smith in Saratoga Springs NY
Show Founder and Organizer.
Just an old guy driving a young mans dream.
1970 Formula YS400, a matching #s Hard Top survivor in Arrest Me Red
1991 WS6 Trans Am Convertible, 1 of 555, gone but not forgotten.
1999 Formula WS6, 1 of 175 made

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »
Well Tom having been on the other side (ie running a show) I'll volunteer to help as long as I make the trip. So there's one additional helper for ya!

In regards to food for the cruise...I like the pizza idea. Here's why: It doesn't put any strain on any of the show staff or sig others to get food (well other than picking it up and who wouldn't want a few Trans Ams in the lot picking up pizza?). We'd have more time to talk/bs/drink (n.a. for those who are driving) etc. And I'd have no problem contributing beforehand - like a month in advance so you have the funds.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 08:31:04 PM »
Tom, I like the pizza idea also, as Brian stated it is alot easier on everyone involved with the show. I will be there next year, and you can put me to work all weekend. I look forward to seeing all of my NY show friends again.
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 09:15:45 PM »
I would have a long 8' sub along with the tomato pie. If its warm outside, some including myself would prefer the sub. A grilling station would be nice. I local event I attend sponsors the grill and food and people fend for themselves (cook and serve). It works pretty well.
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 09:36:49 PM »
I know myself along with others would like to see a work in progress & or original/ survivor class. this will non only get the car count up, but encourage others to bring out their pride and joy and not feel the need to compete with restored cars. No trophies would be given to the work in progress class but perhaps gift certificates to various parts suppliers. A lottery system may be best for prize distribution or perhaps the amount of progress made since last showing.
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline S76GUY

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 10:40:37 AM »
Hey Guys
I have Eddie Barra's e-mail if anyone wants it.
Send me a PM or post that you want it and I will
drop it in a PM.
Tony T.

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 09:46:24 AM »
Bringing this topic back up...

I've got my form printed out but I need to know....where we staying?? I'd like to make my reservations now :)

Looks like Thurs -> Sun?? That what the OH guys are planning? Would definitely meet up again for Breakfast and then hit the road...

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!

Offline Martin

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 07:02:27 PM »
Planning on it.... ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:20:26 PM by Martin »

Offline blue81ta

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 08:55:36 AM »
I'm glad to see you boys will be stopping by. :) I'll be there of course.

Tom Smith and I are planning on stopping by the Fairfield Inn(the host hotel) on Thurs and Friday nights to say hello and hang out with you early birds. Sorry Hammer, I missed the party on Friday night last year. ::) ???

Martin....  no high water... or low water please!! ;)
Keith
1981 Trans Am

My safe haven from all of life's bs

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 09:22:14 AM »
Looks like I'll be traveling Sat to the show - will be trailering the car - and coming back on Sunday. Unless by some miracle Laura can get Friday off...

Will definitely meet up with the OH group on Friday for breakfast like last year though ;)

Offline 76ta4spd

• Yearning to see the open road!!!
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 10:49:19 AM »
Really wanting to go BAD, I sat and started computing. Since this is a few days, bringing the family is an absolute REQUIREMENT! That means bringing the T/A for sure. After the calculations came in at almost 900 smackers, it is most unfortunate for me that I will not be able to attend. This is upsetting...(crying in the background lol). I hope all have a wonderful time and lots of money is raised.

James
Make an honest livin and treat people with respect. Everything else just happens naturally.

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 12:40:53 PM »
Well if it helps you any...you're welcome to tag along with Laura and I. I have (2) back seats open in the TA. Can at least arrive/depart the show in style ;D

Offline blue81ta

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 01:05:15 PM »
Really wanting to go BAD, I sat and started computing. Since this is a few days, bringing the family is an absolute REQUIREMENT! That means bringing the T/A for sure. After the calculations came in at almost 900 smackers, it is most unfortunate for me that I will not be able to attend. This is upsetting...(crying in the background lol). I hope all have a wonderful time and lots of money is raised.

James

I'm a member of the club that puts on this show and I'd like to thank you for thinking about coming to Saratoga. I hope this means we're doing something right. :) I wish you could make it but, it's a long drive and $900 is a lot money. Maybe... just maybe you'll be able to come some time in the future. :)
Keith
1981 Trans Am

My safe haven from all of life's bs