Author Topic: transam air duct any one have one or know how $------?????????????  (Read 7606 times)

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: transam air duct any one have one or know how $------?????????????
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 08:14:42 PM »
What's the difference?  I know the plastic piece that connects to the air horn is different, but I didn't know that the elbows were different.

Offline John Witzke

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 09:08:23 PM »
The elbows are the same.  The original flex duct between the plastic duck off the air cleaner the the elbow in question has a gray-like material unlike the repos.  The plastic duct off the air cleaner is different between 1978 base L78 and W72 engines and the same between the 1977 base L78 and W72 engines.   
John Witzke

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »
My bad.  I thought he wanted the whole air intake setup.  I didn't check his pics :-[   The W72 is oblong and the L78 is round at he snorkel.

Offline transam dave

• Adv. Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 08:09:35 PM »
I just need to know if the part i show in the pic will fit a 50 th ann transam.  I need to know how much $$$$$$ we shoud pay , thanks  dave.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 08:24:04 PM »
There was a change around that time.  PM Hammer, he'll know right off the top of his head.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 10:15:03 AM »
That looks like the 77 and later ones.  I sold a complete set....elbow and wheelhouse duct, plus the bracket for $30 about a year ago to a forum member.  If prices keep going up, new enthusiasts like Tommy won't be able to afford the hobby.

I saw a drop dead gorgeous 1957 chevy bel air convertible this week.  Black with red interior and a white top.  The guy paid $70K for the car and has put another $16K into it....and isn't done.  None of what he's done is body work or paint...just mechanical stuff.  Who can afford something like that?  He did pay too much for it though.

I also saw a 1967 Mustang fastback that had a frame off restoration.  The car looked like it just came off the assembly line.  He did his homework and did everything like the factory...from paint to the correct bolts and stickers...he put $50K in the car.  My friend bought it for $17K...the deal of the century.

I hope the Trans Am's stay in the world of affordability for at least another decade.

Offline transam dave

• Adv. Member
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 10:19:24 AM »
I met this guy at a car show . This guy has a real nice 50th anniversary transam. I gave him my # and he called and said he needs this piece, ill give you $50.00  if you find one.  Ive been avoiding him till i see how  much they really were .

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 10:40:57 AM »
That looks like the 77 and later ones.  I sold a complete set....elbow and wheelhouse duct, plus the bracket for $30 about a year ago to a forum member.  If prices keep going up, new enthusiasts like Tommy won't be able to afford the hobby.
I hope the Trans Am's stay in the world of affordability for at least another decade.

Just for the record- I usually post items for sale on here first.  If they don't sell in 5-7 days they head to eBay, where they almost always bring more money than I ask on the T/A sites.  I try to stay below retail for the guys on here, but once it goes to eBay the price is set by the market. 

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 12:03:14 PM »
I think you're absolutely right.  I'd let ebay decide the market price too.  No use being stupid.  Well, I'm off to the salvage yard for another adventure in the land of broken T/A's!!  I love that place.  It's always fun to walk through the lot.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 02:10:06 PM »
Zero elbows at the salvage yard today.  And, the ones they used to have in a container were all gone.  I think Pete may have cleaned them out.

Offline neptonium2000

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 11:17:38 AM »
EBAY! EBAY! EBAY!

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 08:09:43 PM »
You know.... I've been looking at that part (and the other parts associated with it)... and I'm wondering...

Just how different are those parts from whenever they started using them (74?) and 81?  They are made from a grade of HDPE using the "blow mold" technology (same as used to make milk bottles).  That only requires a 2 part mold and it's not terribly intricate.  I doubt that you'd even hit the payback point reproducing them if they're all different, but if perchance they were the same... or pretty close... ??? ??? ???

Offline transam dave

• Adv. Member
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 09:39:50 PM »
I dont care how they make them as long as they make them soon.

Offline transam dave

• Adv. Member
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 10:12:01 PM »
The part# is not the same as on the transam i have.My part # is 525327
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:11:55 AM by transam dave »

Offline Trans am Oz

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 02:01:10 AM »
Thanks for the link Hammer ;D

Im after one for our 78 but its a shame the dude doesnt post to Oz ::)