Author Topic: Steering Wheel Horn Collar  (Read 7626 times)

Offline Bull

Re: Steering Wheel Horn Collar
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 12:10:28 AM »
Since you've corrected the install of your horn contact pin, spring and collar, does it not work well now? If so, you wouldn't have to take it apart any more.

No, even though the horn pin is correct now, I am still having the same issue that I described in post #6.  The horn will only work intermittently, and is affected by pressing down on/sliding the "tube" on the cancel cam, into which the horn contact pin goes, up and down in its groove.  Sometimes, even jiggling the turn signal lever will establish the connection.  Something must be wrong with the cancel cam assembly, I assume.

I hate to jump in here but isn't he missing the big white collar with the copper ring that touches the pin sticking up through the plate??? If memory serves me correctly that pin doesn't protrude very far out of the plate. There is a white plastic collar that fills the void actuating the horn once the horn button is pressed??

Like this one.

I think I have all that stuff...here is my setup.  It was originally bolted together incorrectly, but should be good now.

Offline Bull

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 07:24:26 PM »
Yep...that stinkin' plastic cover on the wheel cracked just seconds into my prying campaign.  Might not have helped that it was cold in the barn today, and so the plastic was more brittle.

I'll deal with finding a replacement.  I don't suppose they are reprod?  I didn't see one on any of the column-related pages of my Ames catalog.

On a positive note, I found a MAC (hoping USA made) tool for compressing the lock plate on Craigslist for $20.  After shipping, I'll probably have $27 into it.  A new one from Snap-on is $45, but is listed as being for newer vehicles, so I wasn't sure if it'd work on an older non airbag vehicle.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 07:32:38 PM »
Do you have a steering wheel puller? If not all you need is flat piece of metal with a hole big enough to fit over the shaft in the column. even a huge flat washer will work to seat that metal plate far enough to get the snap ring in. Why buy a 30 tool u are only gonna use once.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline Bull

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 07:40:39 PM »
I do have a steering wheel puller, yes. 

It's too late to turn back on the specialized tool, though; I already had someone from a garage and tool forum that I moderate go and get it for me.

I like tools, so even if I only use it a couple of times, I'll be glad to have it.  I'm sure that my '69 GTO will need some work inside the column at some point.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 07:54:15 PM »
Okay. I tell you how without the tool in case anyone reading wants to save a buck down the line. Get a piece of bar stock aout 1/4 inch thick (just not flimsy) and about 5 inches long and about two inches wide. Drill a hole in the middle big enough for the steering shaft to fit thru. Slip it over the shaft (have your snap ring already around the shaft)and use two sockets about the same size on each side of the shaft leaving enough room for you to get the snap ring in place. Thread the steering wheel nut on 4 or 5 threads and then slip the sockets (make sure they are tall enough to take up almost all the space between the bottom of the bar stock and the metal lock plate. tighten your steering wheel nut until the bar stock pushes the sockets into the metal plate. once its down far enough snap your ring in. Make sure its seated and then take the steering nut back off and finishing assembling. I can post a pic tomorrow if anyone wants to see.

If the hole in your steering wheel puller will fit over the steering shaft then use it in place of the bar stock

Offline Bull

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 08:00:03 PM »
Posts like yours are what forums are about.  Had I read it prior to pulling the trigger on this other tool, I'd use your method.  Thanks for taking the time to write it out.

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 08:12:01 PM »
No problem. Good luck putting it back together.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 09:20:32 PM »
Sorry to hear the plastic cover broke. It just snaps on the outer edge of the lock plate and is supposed to pry off without much trouble. Cold and old age probably did contribute. I've never looked for a new one. Since they were used on GM columns from about 1969 thru the mid 80's, it shoudn't be hard to find one used or new. For new, I'd google for places selling steering column parts. Some of the restoration parts dealers might have them too. It's called a lock plate cover.
Steve F.

Offline Corellian Corvette

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 02:28:46 AM »
Fwiw, there is no need to remove the plastic cover of the lock ring. Done this job a million times. When you get the lock ring compressor it will work just fine and not damage the plastic part.
--------------
1972 Firebird Formula
1978 Trans Am
1965 Mustang
1965 Olds 442
1967 Galaxie Convertible
1968 Charger
1973 Stingray
1980 Triumph Spitfire