Author Topic: I've been "dye"ing to ask you  (Read 7206 times)

Offline Schroeder

I've been "dye"ing to ask you
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:45:47 PM »
Like my corny thread title  ;D  ?  Well guys, if you haven't guessed by now this thread is about dyeing parts.  Almost every trim panel in may car has been molested and painted shi*ttily with spray paint.  I have no beef with doing the dyeing with spray paint, but NO effort was put in.  The original red on almost all the trim pieces can be seen in places.

I have had good luck (when careful) with painting parts in my 91 trans am with duplicolor semi-gloss black and then clear coating (this is where you have to be careful because too much clear coat makes it look white and misty as I'm sure you know).  My question is, should I remove the parts that need painted or dyed and paint them?....or dye them? 

I see Fbodywarehouse has SEM dyes, but I wanna shop around and check prices.  Does Lowes, Home Depot, or Menards have SEM products?  Where can I find them?

What have been your experiences?  Can I get by with a nice spray paint coat followed by a clear or are the dyes and interior specific clear paints a much better option?  Thanks in advance.

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
Re: I've been "dye"ing to ask you
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:54:17 PM »
years ago we always did the interior with a laquer but i am told SEM is the hottest thing going, i will be using it on mine
i am sure renovations knows best as he has tremendous knowledge on this stuff
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:03:19 PM »
i am sure renovations knows best as he has tremendous knowledge on this stuff

I wouldn't go that far lol..but thanks.

It's often referred to as "dye" but SEM Color Coat is actually paint. A very good (and flexible) one but paint nonetheless. Very good stuff to use on your interior parts...and remember prep is the most important step ;)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:13:02 PM »
Hopefully he replies!  I think he has commented on a couple of my other threads. 

For people that have used the SEM products: did you guys use the SEM primer and surface cleaners before the actual painting?  I would think that you could just use paint thinner for a cleaner.  This is what is done in the fbody warehouse video showing the dyeing process with SEM products.  I don't know why I would have to use primer if I'm finishing with the interior color of black.  (Fbodywarehouse also did not use a primer)

After reading your post Renovations I'd like to stress my questions on primer and cleaning.  I don't think that an SEM cleaner is needed so long as a good pre-paint cleaner is used.  Would you say I'm correct?  Also, do you think a primer is needed?  I thought a primer would only be necessary if painting parts a light color such as camel.  Do you think it is necessary to prime?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:18:07 PM by Schroeder »

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:15:48 PM »
Primer isn't necessary...but a good adhesion promoter is recommended.
Careful using thinner on plastics ;)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 09:17:34 PM »
primer is exactly what it is called itprimes the surface for something new, i have never seen the video but would think primer is a must and at least a should do laquer thinner is fine when used properly most wipe and smear all around when in essence you should wipe one direction the flip rag that is why thye use wax and grease remover
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1971 Monte Carlo

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 09:24:29 PM »
I already am planning on using a pre-paint surface cleaner for removing dirt, debris, and oils.  I have this at home and have used it when painting various components on my cars.  I guess I will invest in SEM's primer as well.  If there is any doubt in my mind I always decide to spend the extra buck.  If I spend time fixing it I will do it right. 

Part of my questions have been addressed...where can I look at the SEM products in person?  Does anyone know who carries these products?

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 09:27:39 PM »
most paint and body supply shops have it, we have American Icon here
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1971 Monte Carlo

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 09:40:07 PM »
I see.  I found a store locator on SEM's site. 

Is there a particular product line they offer that is supposed to be used on the interior of our cars or are all their aerosal paints for general purpose?  I am currently searching their site and have not yet stumbled on the answer to this question.

Update:  I think I just found what should be used on the interior pieces.  Is it called color coat?   ----> http://semproducts.com/product-catalog/flexible-coatings/color-coat/   ?  Anyone have experience with this or is there just a general SEM paint I should get? 

How should colors be matched?  Is there a black that would be better than others in the SEM color line?  I am unaware if there were color names assigned to interior colors in these cars.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:49:17 PM by Schroeder »

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 09:42:46 PM »
i think but not 100% that SEM is interior, if you go to a paint supply house will most likely find quarts not aerosol
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1971 Monte Carlo

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 09:47:18 PM »
The SEM Color Coat is intended for interior use...my local PPG dealer carries the full line of aerosols
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline NWW-79 T/A

• Adv. Member
  • 16 Year Old T/A Owner
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 09:52:31 PM »
You can get it from fbodywarehouse. Select the color you want
Romney/Ryan 2012

-1979 Solar Gold Trans Am in Restoration-

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 09:52:58 PM »
you beat me to it renovations.  Would a low luster clear coat be the correct clear?

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »
Yup
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Greenbird76

• The way Grandma wishes she could of ordered it!!
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 01:15:06 AM »
I have  posted this picture before.  Here is my interior with SEM white on the seat backs and duplicolors white interior paint on the rear armrests and lower door panels.   Prep, prep and more prep.  that is the way to do it.