Author Topic: Another snowflake rim color question??  (Read 8276 times)

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
Re: Another snowflake rim color question??
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 07:41:21 AM »
Thanks Eagle1 for the directions.  I am going to try and make it up there, with or with out the car. 

Offline Joker (§ir£Ðragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 08:50:04 AM »
Back on the topic real quick...I was thinking about painting the inside of the wheels black.  I have seen a couple that way and it puts a real depth to the wheel.  What do you guys think??  On my white car?  

I like that look. That's my plan as well assuming my car will still be salvageable after everything going on.

Whats going on, if you don't mind me asking? 

I'm not Larry, but he's dealing with a major flood up where he lives.  He got caught in the unfortunate combination of a big snow melt perfectly timed with a large amount of rain.  The end result has been a 100 year flood (only happens on average every 100 years), and most of his town is underwater.  Municipal water and sewer systems are out of order, and his shop (unluckily located close to the river) is in large part underwater.  All in all an unfortunate and very messy situation.  Larry now has a completely different opinion of a river-front view... :-\

This was taken on April 20th   Happy birthday to me.  :-\
Larry

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 09:37:59 AM »
Back on the topic real quick...I was thinking about painting the inside of the wheels black.  I have seen a couple that way and it puts a real depth to the wheel.  What do you guys think??  On my white car?  

I like that look. That's my plan as well assuming my car will still be salvageable after everything going on.

Whats going on, if you don't mind me asking? 

I'm not Larry, but he's dealing with a major flood up where he lives.  He got caught in the unfortunate combination of a big snow melt perfectly timed with a large amount of rain.  The end result has been a 100 year flood (only happens on average every 100 years), and most of his town is underwater.  Municipal water and sewer systems are out of order, and his shop (unluckily located close to the river) is in large part underwater.  All in all an unfortunate and very messy situation.  Larry now has a completely different opinion of a river-front view... :-\

This was taken on April 20th   Happy birthday to me.  :-\

hey §ir£Ðragon  I am so sorry.  That is aweful.  I know exactly how you feel.  Back in '94 north east Houston, Tx had a huge 100 year flood and it was devistating.  Our house got 5' of water in it.  Again, I am sorry and I know things will get better. 

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 06:01:21 PM »
Does anyone know of a good rattle can out there I could use to paint the inside of my wheels black?  I think that is the color I am going to go with.  It gives the wheels some depth, I think. 

The reason I am asking is that I do not have a spray gun.  I guess I could go out and buy one and then get a good PPG paint.  Just thinking out loud...

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 06:08:14 PM »
just curious what do your wheels look like now?
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 09:25:37 PM »
just curious what do your wheels look like now?

They are 15x8 snowflakes with no paint at all.  I am in the process of polishing them right now and thought they didn't look finished.  So, I was thinking about painting them.   

Sorry the picture is so far away I didn't have a close up on hand.

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 09:40:29 AM »
I really like the way the car looks. Nice tint. I just wish I could find a way to polish mine right up. Yours look nice and shiney. I also wanted to do black in the inside of wheel.I have 15x7's
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 01:03:47 PM »
I really like the way the car looks. Nice tint. I just wish I could find a way to polish mine right up. Yours look nice and shiney. I also wanted to do black in the inside of wheel.I have 15x7's

Thanks...Yeah, I think the black would look really good with a white car.  You should see the wheels now.  They look like mirrors. 

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 03:18:12 PM »
if you have the time can you tell me exactly what you used and how you used it? I wanna do mine but dont want to ruin nice wheels. What grit of paper or kind of polish or dremil and all that. If you have time I mean.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Joker (§ir£Ðragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 03:20:14 PM »

Thanks...Yeah, I think the black would look really good with a white car.  You should see the wheels now.  They look like mirrors. 

Wanna do mine next? :P
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 03:22:13 PM by §ir£Ðragon »
Larry

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 06:16:19 PM »
if you have the time can you tell me exactly what you used and how you used it? I wanna do mine but dont want to ruin nice wheels. What grit of paper or kind of polish or dremil and all that. If you have time I mean.

I will sit down tonight and write it down.  I wish I could take credit for it but I just followed Hitmans Advice...http://www.78ta.com/resto/rims.htm
I didn't follow it exactly but they turned out awesome!! He goes into all the polishes to use and I just added a final high gloss polish compound I found at the hardware store.

Wanna do mine next? :P

HAHA...It really wasn't that bad just tedious (sp? I am not a great speller haha) I just took one wheel at a time. 

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 10:20:42 AM »
I didnt know he had all this posted.this will do. Thanks.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2009, 07:07:16 PM »
I didnt know he had all this posted.this will do. Thanks.

Hey no problem.  I wish I could have taken the credit but Hitman did ALL the leg work. 

On another note.  I am about to paint one of my rims black.  I will post pictures and get everyones input.  I hope it looks good.  Just doing the one to see how it turns out for now. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:52:59 PM by SoonerTA »

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 01:23:55 PM »
are you going to mask off the front and paint from the back? that seems to "sound" like the easiest way
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2009, 03:37:43 PM »
I have not thought of doing that.  I was going to mask off the tire and the outer rim of the wheel.  I have spoken to a couple guys here and they say to just spray the wheel and wait till it gets tacky.  Then use laquor thinner and wipe down the spokes.  The paint comes right off if they are polished.  I will try a couple ways and see what happens.