Author Topic: Decals Question  (Read 32883 times)

Offline 79ban1

• Bandit X
Re: Decals Question
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2012, 01:51:06 PM »
I had the eagle on the side of my car give me issues. Fr the record they were replaced at no cost after I brought it up a few times. I think part of the issue is the premask is the exact size as the emblem so when you try to lift it, you catch the decal as well.  This seems the case in he sail panel bird especially. Maybe make the masking a tad bit larger so you have something to grab ahold of?
I brought up that same issue about the premask being made bigger when I talked to them. The response that I got was that their manufacture of the graphics Die cuts the stuff that way and they can't change it. So I wonder does Phoenix Graphics actual produce the graphics in house or are they just a distributor and have them made somewhere else to their specs.

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2012, 09:18:10 PM »
I had the eagle on the side of my car give me issues. Fr the record they were replaced at no cost after I brought it up a few times. I think part of the issue is the premask is the exact size as the emblem so when you try to lift it, you catch the decal as well.  This seems the case in he sail panel bird especially. Maybe make the masking a tad bit larger so you have something to grab ahold of?
I brought up that same issue about the premask being made bigger when I talked to them. The response that I got was that their manufacture of the graphics Die cuts the stuff that way and they can't change it. So I wonder does Phoenix Graphics actual produce the graphics in house or are they just a distributor and have them made somewhere else to their specs.

It's just a cheaper way of doing it therefore they are not going to change.  Heck, I feel the quality was better from PG 20 years ago compared to today.

For custom stuff I use a smaller company that cuts/prints vinyl in house.  They wait 24 hours after printing before applying premast.  They too recomend the plastic over the masking type because it will help keep the decal from stretching when applying too much pressure when you are working out the moisture.  They do have a machine that cuts out the premast but it is always at least a 1" bigger than the decal itself.
Rich enough to own a TA, too poor to keep'm all ;)
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1970 455 4sp Formula clone
1980 Indy Pace TA

Offline PhoenixGraphix

• www.phoenixgraphix.com
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2012, 10:47:02 AM »
Because of customer feedback, our 1978-1980 style hood bird decals have been modified to make removing the transfer tape easier for less experienced applicators.  There will be a 1/2" boarder of mask surrounding the decal.  This has been in the works for a while and in fact, all of the Blue kits that we have in stock at this time were produced that way.  Other colors will follow in the months to come.  Clearly this as nothing to do with cost saving measures as previously stated.  As always our goal is to produce the best product possible.

Offline ScottD3

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
For LESS experienced applicators that's funny.

Offline 79ban1

• Bandit X
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2012, 12:43:15 PM »
Now they need to supply installation instructions in the kits describing the application process. Things like recommended drying times before peeling off the mask and ways to remove excess glue residue left behind things like that.
Hey PG how about you guys doing an installation video of your own product and posting it on your Youtube site. How to video's would be great from Phoenix Graphics. It might save them a lot of phone calls. I'd be more than happy to come work with you guys on these video's.

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, 01:00:34 PM »
Now they need to supply installation instructions in the kits describing the application process. Things like recommended drying times before peeling off the mask and ways to remove excess glue residue left behind things like that.
Hey PG how about you guys doing an installation video of your own product and posting it on your Youtube site. How to video's would be great from Phoenix Graphics. It might save them a lot of phone calls. I'd be more than happy to come work with you guys on these video's.

They would have to get off the computer and find a car to slap decals on then instead of blaming those of us for improper techniques.  Funny, I guess me doing vinyl for the last 15 years I've been doing it wrong.  I could just see my area dealerships if I told them on a brand new ZL1 Camaro that I will put the decal on today and tomorrow I will pull off the pre-mast lol.  That'd go over well.  Again I will state even with the cheapo aftermarket decals I get for dealerships that cost $50 or even the high end aftermarket that run $600, never had I've ever been told I have to wait a day to pull premast off.  I've also never had the premast pull the colors off the decals either.
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1980 Indy Pace TA

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
I will suggest one better, I have sent an email offering my vehicle up once painted for an instructional video in their place of business.  Anxiously waiting for a reply!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:42:01 PM by oldskoolubr »

Offline ScottD3

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2013, 02:49:04 PM »
I will suggest one better, I have sent an email offering my vehicle up once painted for an instructional video in there place of business.  Anxiously waiting for a reply!  ;)

Good Luck with that.

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2013, 03:43:08 PM »
THANKS!^

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2013, 09:44:02 PM »
I know this is an old topic but my decals are not old and I still had an issue with the premask not coming off. I have done a lot of decal and never had it be such a pain. The sign shop has been doing this for 30 years and agrees that it shouldn't be this tough. Now I have a crappy looking bird on my hood.
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline Hitch

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2013, 11:30:21 PM »
I recently ordered a set also, but they haven't arrived yet. I plan on having an experienced sign shop do the install. I guess we'll see how it goes.
1978 Trans Am WS6, Hurst Tops, black on black

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2013, 07:10:10 AM »
Hitch, make sure to let your person know about these issues.  Like I said, I am a seasoned veteran when it comes to vinyl and stripes.  I also do complete vehicle wraps too.  Never had I see such an issue than when using these PG kits.  Now a few years ago I installed just a hoodbird for a friend on a '78 TA and that one didn't seem too bad.  The last one for my PACE was horrid though.
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1980 Indy Pace TA

Offline Hitch

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2013, 07:14:22 AM »
I will do that, thanks. I'll give an update on this thread once they're on.
1978 Trans Am WS6, Hurst Tops, black on black

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2013, 12:39:03 PM »
Sorry, I'm kind of late to this topic, but what are the alternatives to PG?

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2013, 10:54:28 PM »
Stencils and stripes. Hitch btw it was a professional sign shop I used.
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress