Author Topic: Blower motor wont come on  (Read 2929 times)

Offline 1FSTLS1

Blower motor wont come on
« on: July 23, 2008, 03:19:03 PM »
My blower motor wont come on via hvac controlls.  It does work I put 12v on it before I put it back in.  I removed the AC because it is not going to fit.  Question is Why wont it come on.  Any info or direction would be great.  Where is the fuse for it? 
1999 Silver Z28

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: Blower motor wont come on
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 03:29:55 PM »
Is it grounded?  It should ground at the A/C compressor bracket. 

Offline 1FSTLS1

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 03:35:03 PM »
Probably not if the compressor is gone.  Where is the wire that I need to ground?
1999 Silver Z28

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 04:02:11 PM »
Probably not if the compressor is gone.  Where is the wire that I need to ground?

I don't know....I didn't remove it! (I'm a wise guy!)

At this point, you're going to have to make sure you've got current coming to the terminal on the blower motor.  If so, then simply run a new ground wire from one of the blower motor fasteners (clean the paint off of the area) to somewhere in the engine compartment....like where that little braided copper ground from the engine is located.....or to the bracket for the oil dipstick.

If you removed all the HVAC wiring, chances are that you removed all the wiring for your blower motor.  Are there wires going to the high blower relay and the resistor?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:04:09 PM by ta78w72 »

Offline 1FSTLS1

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 04:12:04 PM »
Not sure where that relay is but the wires that went to the resistor are unpluged and intact as the resistor was removed.  I did not remove the AC was gone from the first moron!  Thanks
1999 Silver Z28

Offline 1FSTLS1

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 04:54:57 PM »
Ok not sure what exactly is going on here I am grounded.  I can get it to come on on high only but when I plug the resistor/coils back into the proper harnes all speeds work.  Not exacly sure how this whole thing is set up but thoes coils get hot and I dont exactly want to just plug them in and leave them there to burn something.  Any one got any suggestions. 
1999 Silver Z28

Offline 1FSTLS1

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 05:11:19 PM »
Ok I figured it out thoes coils/resistors provide resistance and therfore vary the speed my heatercore box does not have a place for them so I guess I am stuck on high or off.  Unless any one has a good idea?
1999 Silver Z28

Offline jphillips3333

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 06:31:29 PM »
Post some pix of this if you could ...

I fixed my GF's Honda CRV on New Years Eve last year - the blower motor wouldn't work.  Ok, it was a slow night ... well, it's always amateur night.  Anyway, I got on some Honda Forum and low & behold, this fix described the same issue you're describing.  It came with pix, tests & the fix.

I ended up going to Radioshack, bought some resistors, soldered in the new resistor and it's worked for the last 7 1/2 months.  It was a $5.00 fix - only $5.00 because I had to buy like a 50 pack of various resistors.  I was going blind trying to read resistor values with the lines/colors on the side of these things ... 20 minutes into that, I smacked myself in the head - use the multimeter!  Anyway, picked the right one and it's been fine since.

I ended up being the GF's hero ... and basically got just about anything I wanted that night which beat drinking ... although, drinking did occur ;)

I've never torn into a Trans Am unit - post some shots ... maybe it'll jog someone's memory.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 07:15:22 PM by jphillips3333 »
John

1 of 1107                     1 of 37,015                    1 of 1817

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 06:45:42 PM »
You'll need to figure out how to get those components mounted.  The resistor has the coils in the heater box as it get cooled from the fan drawing air across the coils.  I'm not sure how a non A/C car has the resistor mounted.

And, yes you figured it out.  The resistor varies the fan speed.  The high blower relay controls the current to the resistor.

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 07:17:30 PM »
You'll need to figure out how to get those components mounted.  The resistor has the coils in the heater box as it get cooled from the fan drawing air across the coils.  I'm not sure how a non A/C car has the resistor mounted.

And, yes you figured it out.  The resistor varies the fan speed.  The high blower relay controls the current to the resistor.

Think you sent this one to the wrong guy, but I appreciate it ;)

Gunner
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 08:07:16 PM »
How did that happen?  It's tough getting old!