Author Topic: new decal issues  (Read 6627 times)

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
new decal issues
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:51:15 PM »
I'm hearing PG changed the top paper on the deacal to a plastic and people are having problems with the install.
is any one here having the same issues with the new decals?

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:24:41 PM by 4SPEED »
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline HOMER

• Adv. Member
  • Brown Bandit lol
Re: new decal issues
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:20:02 PM »
i bought my birds last year and they have the plastic covering. wondered why they looked funny , great now im really worried !  hammer offered to help me install them, which eases my worries , i never installed a decal that large ,
She's a Winner

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:00:01 PM »
Homer , you'll be fine with Mikes help.  I hope to have Hammer's help as well.

as for me posting the link,  I didnt post it to start a discussion about the reason for the thread. as I dont care.. PG has always stood behind there decals quality.
I just want to see if you guys are getting the hood birds on, with good results.

I'll be putting my decals on in about a month, and needing to know if there are any new tricks to the install of them.
my 79 had the paper back so the new backing is going to be like doing it for the first time.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline T/A Kid

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 11:32:09 PM »
Doug the body shop put my first one on and I wasn't happy with it so I ordered another one from Brett, My cousin helped me and it was a first for both of us and we didn't have any problems with the plastic covering. I did use the gel and I really liked it I know some don't but it worked well for me, I had a few air bubbles but a good hot sun  and a few pin pricks took care of that.
In memory of my big brother Jimmy
miss ya everyday bud.

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 11:36:22 AM »
no big deal guys same concept as the paper backing. helped a buddy do his a few weeks back.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 05:32:53 PM »
i recently installed a turbo bird with the clear covering & had no issues.  turbo birds are alot bigger & difficult to install.  went on just like the paper one i did a couple years earlier.  personally i prefer the dawn dish soap & water,  the gel seems to slippery & any other "mix" of soaps is just asking for trouble.  it can effect how well the decal sticks,  alot of soaps or shampoos have oils added for "softness"  why take a chance?  dawn dish soap & distilled water worked great for me. 
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline HOMER

• Adv. Member
  • Brown Bandit lol
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 08:42:14 PM »
i used the gel ,went on great i just screwed up while removing the cover
She's a Winner

Offline HOMER

• Adv. Member
  • Brown Bandit lol
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 10:44:27 PM »
i used the gel ,went on great i just screwed up while removing the cover
uh oh....  I told you I'd help if needed.   ;)
Hopefully the damage is minimal. 

i didnt know there was clear around the dge of the decal and when the instructions said start at a pointed edge and peel the cover off thats what i did  , and since the cover is clear as is the edge of the decal i did not know i was destroying it while trying to keep the bird down while removing the cover , i cut all the clear off just leaving the bird looks ok now not right but looks ok i guess , i think there instructions should be a little more clear? especially for the price of the stupid thing!
She's a Winner