Author Topic: Decals Question  (Read 32720 times)

Offline ScottD3

Re: Decals Question
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2012, 05:15:42 PM »
I applied my S&S decals in 2009 and they have not lost color or any other issue.

Offline norwood

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2012, 05:27:28 PM »
Wow, that video says it all......:(
OUR DAY IS COMING SOON

Offline PhoenixGraphix

• www.phoenixgraphix.com
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »
...well, I'd say that video only tells part of the story.

What you're not seeing or hearing about is the great lengths we went to in effort to redeem ourselves in the eyes of this customer.  Admittedly, this kit should've never left our building and it's frankly quite embarrassing that it did.  In hindsight I think we rushed too quickly to bring this kit to market and it came back to bite us.  As soon as these issues came to light, it became a priority to try and satisfy this gentleman and make sure this doesn't happen again.

Unfortunately, as they say, "you can't please all the people all the time".  As a bunch of hard working car guys, we'll continue to to our best.  For whatever reason there will always be some people with a bone to pick or an agenda.  If only our thousands of satisfied customers were as vocal as those with a gripe! :)

I'd like to say "thank you" to all of our loyal customers over the last 28 years and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!

Offline kev 190164

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »
i agree its not just the sales its the after sales that make a great company

Offline norwood

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »
PG, now that you are responding here may I ask what is the reason for the change in the mask? I did read your post above but with all the trouble people have with them are you considering returning to the paper mask. The video truly showed issues.  Do you use NOS decals as patterns for your products?  Do you knowingly produce a decal that may not be  correct in size or color when compared to a NOS decal?  If so why?

Thanks for communcating with your customer base.
OUR DAY IS COMING SOON

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 08:10:08 PM »
...well, I'd say that video only tells part of the story.

What you're not seeing or hearing about is the great lengths we went to in effort to redeem ourselves in the eyes of this customer.  Admittedly, this kit should've never left our building and it's frankly quite embarrassing that it did.  In hindsight I think we rushed too quickly to bring this kit to market and it came back to bite us.  As soon as these issues came to light, it became a priority to try and satisfy this gentleman and make sure this doesn't happen again.

Unfortunately, as they say, "you can't please all the people all the time".  As a bunch of hard working car guys, we'll continue to to our best.  For whatever reason there will always be some people with a bone to pick or an agenda.  If only our thousands of satisfied customers were as vocal as those with a gripe! :)

I'd like to say "thank you" to all of our loyal customers over the last 28 years and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!

I too would like to know if you would go back to the paper mask?

Offline PhoenixGraphix

• www.phoenixgraphix.com
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »
There's far less trouble with the clear transfer tape than you seem to realize.  We've been using the clear mask for years now and many people like it just fine.  In fact, I've talked to a lot of people who prefer it.

There are many benefits to the clear mask.  The end user can see the color of their decal easier prior to application.  If there's an error in ordering or packaging it's more obvious.  Many applicators like being able to see the decal for ease in placement as well.  We also like the way the clear masked decals roll for packaging.  This was absolutely NOT a cost cutting measure, as the clear material is in no way any less expensive than the paper mask.  At this time there is no intention of going back to the paper transfer tape.

I feel there may be a misconception that we manufacture raw goods.  We do not.  The vinyl, premask, stencil materials, inks, and so on we use are manufactured by companies like 3M, Avery, etc.  They’re all very high quality raw goods used world wide in similar applications.

I believe what you saw in the video was actually the clear protective laminate being ripped from the decal.  That laminate is not supposed to come off and that’s why there was a struggle.  The laminate should not lift up at all, but again, this particular kit was problematic in more ways than one. The kit in the video is not manufactured in the same way or in the same facility as our Trans Am decal kits.

Now, as far as the accuracy of our kits – yes, we always use original, NOS pieces when available.  Granted, not every decal, stripe or individual piece of a stripe package is going to be at our disposal.  In those situations we’re forced to rely on other means.  We will always bring the most accurate kits to market that we possibly can.  We have thousands of decal and stripe kits available not only for vehicles from the big three but AMC and Jeep as well.  Are there going to be some hiccups here and there?  You bet.  Do we do our best to fix them? Always. 

Like many of you, I’ve been a muscle car enthusiast my entire life.  Anyone who’s restored an old car knows reproduction parts may sometimes slightly differ from originals.  Heck, even over the counter service parts are often different than the ones originally found on the car.  This is not an excuse for shortcomings, just an explanation as to why original parts may not be exactly the same as NOS parts or reproduction parts.  Our mission is to produce decals to look the way they did when the car was new.  Some of the finest, most valuable muscle cars in the world wear our stripes and we're proud of that.

We do not take our customer’s concerns lightly.  Your feedback is important to us and we appreciate your interest in our company.  We have customer service reps available M-F from 8-5 MST to answer any questions you may have about our products.  Thanks for your continued support!

Offline 79ban1

• Bandit X
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2012, 07:32:39 PM »
Well I had the same problem with the clear protective cover it came off that same way and pulled some of the color along with it.

Offline ScottD3

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2012, 07:36:48 PM »
about your 77-78 SE kit why is the gold not correct if you use NOS material to go by?

Offline PhoenixGraphix

• www.phoenixgraphix.com
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2012, 10:27:23 AM »
Well I had the same problem with the clear protective cover it came off that same way and pulled some of the color along with it.

Was this brought to our attention?  Was it replaced for you? I've seen paper mask lift ink as well.  Not saying it's not a problem, just that it's not because of a different type of premask.  Please call our customer service reps at 800.941.4550 to resolve problems such as this.  Thank you.

Offline PhoenixGraphix

• www.phoenixgraphix.com
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2012, 10:38:44 AM »
about your 77-78 SE kit why is the gold not correct if you use NOS material to go by?

As far as I know, we've never had any complaints about the coloring of our 1976-78 S/E kits.  Those kits dress some of the highest quality, show winning, magazine featured Trans Ams out there.

Offline 79ban1

• Bandit X
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »

Was this brought to our attention?  Was it replaced for you? I've seen paper mask lift ink as well.  Not saying it's not a problem, just that it's not because of a different type of premask.  Please call our customer service reps at 800.941.4550 to resolve problems such as this.  Thank you.
Yes I did call told them all the issues I had with the decal they said since they couldn't find the original order number they couldn't replace it said they would give me a discount on the next one I bought. I told them I was not going to buy another one and that I was just going to tear off the one I just put on and throw it in the trash.

Offline ScottD3

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 09:44:17 PM »

As far as I know, we've never had any complaints about the coloring of our 1976-78 S/E kits.  Those kits dress some of the highest quality, show winning, magazine featured Trans Ams out there.

That doesn't mean the color is correct. It just means people don't know what is correct. If I can find the pictures of the comparison I will post them.

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 10:00:17 PM »

That doesn't mean the color is correct. It just means people don't know what is correct. If I can find the pictures of the comparison I will post them.

This was the same exact excuse I got when I called them even though the order was placed the week before :/  Mine seemed to match OK but the clear premast was a pita to pull off and I do a lot of vinyl.  It pulled harder on the names.  It pulled so hard on those that it pulled some of the color off and stayed stuck to the premast. 

I tried to find anywhere else to get what I needed but PG was the only choice for a '80 Pace car. :(
Rich enough to own a TA, too poor to keep'm all ;)
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1970 455 4sp Formula clone
1980 Indy Pace TA

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2012, 07:23:16 AM »
I had the eagle on the side of my car give me issues. Fr the record they were replaced at no cost after I brought it up a few times. I think part of the issue is the premask is the exact size as the emblem so when you try to lift it, you catch the decal as well.  This seems the case in he sail panel bird especially. Maybe make the masking a tad bit larger so you have something to grab ahold of?
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress