Author Topic: Decals Question  (Read 32723 times)

Offline Hitch

Re: Decals Question
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2013, 01:19:29 PM »
My initial order was to Stencils and Stripes, but they were out of the gold fender decals and expected at lease 6 weeks before another run, so figured I'd try PG, in spite of the feed back I've read. Decals arrived yesterday and I plan to make an appointment with the sign shop this week.
1978 Trans Am WS6, Hurst Tops, black on black

Offline Hitch

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »
Well, took my car the sign shop today to have the new decals installed. Drove it there in the pouring rain ( new Hurst seals didn't leak! yeah!) and dropped it off about 9:30am. She called me back about 1:30pm and said they were all done. End result, couldn't he happier. Everything came out very nice and she said she had no problems with the installation. I asked her about the plastic vs paper, and she said she actually prefers the plastic because it stretches or something. ?? Anyways, here's a pic:

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2013, 06:23:36 PM »
Now THAT looks great!!!

A sign shop did it?  Are they used to working on car decals too?
1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain

Offline Hitch

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »
Thanks!

Yes, she does signs, auto graphics, banners, etc. I think these types of places have more experience installing decals than most body shops do.

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2013, 08:51:56 PM »
Thanks!

Yes, she does signs, auto graphics, banners, etc. I think these types of places have more experience installing decals than most body shops do.
youre in meadville?  I work in Greenville lol
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline Hitch

« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2013, 09:35:58 PM »
Thanks!

Yep, I work in Meadville, but live closer to Cambridge Springs.  I get down around Greenville now and again for work also. Isn't there a big auto parts  meet in Canfield?

Offline ponchonutty

• Adv. Member
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2013, 09:55:10 PM »
Looks good.  Most sign shops do graphics/lettering on vehicles too.  Glad it turned out well.  Also, the plastic keeps the vinyl from stretching while the paper backing can rip a little causing it to stretch vinyl.  Depending what and where I am placing the vinyl, sometimes I like to have no premask at all.
Rich enough to own a TA, too poor to keep'm all ;)
1980 TA (1st car)
1989 Formula
1976 400 4sp
1976 400 auto
1978 WS6/W72 4sp
1970 455 4sp Formula clone
1980 Indy Pace TA

Offline N PRGRES

• Adv. Member
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2013, 10:27:26 PM »
Thanks!

Yep, I work in Meadville, but live closer to Cambridge Springs.  I get down around Greenville now and again for work also. Isn't there a big auto parts  meet in Canfield?
yes. It was a month or so ago. Which shop did the bird and are you still doing bezels?
Dave
_______
1981 Trans Am - Refresh in progress

Offline Hitch

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2013, 06:26:14 AM »

[/quote]yes. It was a month or so ago. Which shop did the bird and are you still doing bezels?[/quote]

The sign shop is in Saegertown, just off the I-79 Exit and called 'Signs by Renee.'  She said she's been doing the sign work for 26 years now. 

Yep, I still do the bezels.  I never advertise, as the work always seems to find me.  Let me know if you need one done.

Offline Classic TA

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2014, 01:42:47 PM »
The sign shop is a really good Idea.  Also try window tinting...they are mobile, and can apply them in your garage.

Applying decals for the first time can go great, or go horribly wrong. Experience is everything. I've done a few.

I spend 15 minutes on each decal piece making alignment point with blue painters tape, so when the process starts, all I had to do was center my alignment points on the decal to the alignment points on the T/A.   

When I did mine, I started with one small piece on the fender, and probably spent 1/2 hour understanding how PG's Slide product line worked.

1) Use painters tape to set alignment points

2) Pre-App(Stage I) cleans and preps the area.  Let dry.

2) Soaked a sponge in a bucket of warm water. Rung out, squirt some Slide On (Stage II) on to the sponge, and apply it to the area of interest. I like to apply it heavy, although it gets messy. I then dry my hands, and carefully pull back the masking, paying attention that the vinyl decal is staying on the pre-masking (very important or you will ruin the decal). I then take the sponge and apply Slide On to the vinyl decal. When the decal goes on the car, it should slide easily across the area (Slide On makes this happen). Center your alignment points, and carefully start squeeging  the liquid out the side, along with any air bubbles (This is where experience is key).  With small decals, air pockets can be easily removed, and experience level is somewhat basic.  Once the decal is applied, and air bubbles removed. Use a hair dryer and your hand to dry out the pre-mask (don't let it get hot!!!). Go over the dry decal pre-mask again with the squeegee lightly, working out the air bubbles.  Of coarse the bird is the hardest, because air bubbles can be trapped 8 inch from any edge or more, making the hood bird frustrating. This is why window tinting applicators might have the talent needed to apply the big bird.  Remember, alignment points need to be ready before the Slide On is applied to the decal and car. Go heavy on the Slide On

Decal's don't last forever, at some point they need replaced, like 10 year old tires. There are some tricks to prolonging the appearance of the decals, and that is the use of a vinyl conditioner/UV protectant.  Part of PG's kit is the Slide Over product.  On new decals, Slide Over is a protectant. On older decals, it restores...up to a point, and slows down fading.  I bought a couple more bottles and use it on the interior.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:52:11 PM by Classic TA »