Author Topic: car history with 13 digit VIN  (Read 18666 times)

Offline wheels78ta

• Worth its weight in Gold
car history with 13 digit VIN
« on: November 05, 2006, 11:57:20 AM »
Is there a way to find out the history of a car that has a 13 digit VIN?  I would like to write an article about my 78 Y88 TA and I need to know how many owners it had before me, and I would like to have some kind of evidence on the actual milage, along with many other questions. and then get the car PHS documented.   Thanks for all the help.     Wheels
1978 Y88 W72 WS6 4-SPD 79,000 miles
1987 Chevy K5 Blazer 7.4L Vortec 4x4
2005 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1L Vortec 4x4
2006 Chevy Silverado Z71 5.3L Vortec 4x4

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 01:10:40 PM »
At some point in time I think alot of us have the urge to dig up our cars past history. There really is not an easy way unless your local DMV is cooperative. They can run the VIN # and they would be able to see the transfer/title history. In a state where vehicle inspections are done they would also have milages to document/reflect whats on your odometer.

Other choices would be people like a title company, Carfax, etc. If I struck out at the DMV then I would try to backtrack through the past owners myself. I mean you should already know who owned it before you. Go ask them how they aquired it? Keep working backwards until you run into a deadend.  

It's really neat when they drag out a scrapbook of "YOUR" car when it was brand new.

I'm sure others here have collected previous owner history and hopefully they'll share too. But you have gotta start somewhere and I'd start at the DMV. Although in this day and time they may not be too willing to share names addresses anymore.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 01:39:06 PM »
I think a good place to start is PHS, that way you can find out who the dealer was how took delivery of the car, with any luck they are still around and local.
My car never left the area where it was delivered, I have to find out a bit more but it nice to know it's origins.
Remember some of the Carfax stuff is only relevent (accidents ets) if it was turned into the insurance company.
My friend who works at a dealership tells me that they get cars in all the time that get trashed by the delivery carrier, especially the ones on top, they get bashed by trees that overhang the roads an the trip from the factory to the dealership, that stuff never gets reported.

Good luck in your search.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline Solar78

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 01:22:27 PM »
I tried to go the route of the dealer..
Except my car was sold out of the "GM Plant" in Tarrytown.. which looks like was demolished...
So what now?? I have PHS.. no dealer to go to..
The guy I bought the car from is not really a talker.. and could careless about this stuff... I was barley able to get him focused enough to sell the car......
I think I have a friend in DMV that might be able to help me out.
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 09:19:19 AM »
Also, if you have a friend in the Police department, they could run the VIN as well.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 01:25:50 PM »
Quote from: "Hitman"
Also, if you have a friend in the Police department, they could run the VIN as well.

That's right. He made Captain of Special Services recently.  :lol:  I sent him an email asking for my get outta jail free card. He was not amused.  :lol:

Offline wheels78ta

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 07:41:54 PM »
Thanks for all the input....I have called the last person who owned the car before me, and left a message (about a week ago), and just haven't heard from him...I'm kinda anxious about getting the information about my Y88 and doing an article as I restore it...so the excitement makes a week seem like a month.  All of the car search sites require a 17 digit VIN for a search.  And because I belong to a GREAT web site about TRANS AMS!!!!, I got some help on other ways to find previous owners.  I know this will take some time to do, but right now I'm working out of town till Christmas, so all of my research will be done on a laptop...or cell phone.[/u] Again, Thank You, for all the help.   Wheels

Offline Zulu

• http://groups.msn.com/TransAm1978
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 12:25:32 PM »
Quote from: "Tin Indians Rule"
Quote from: "Hitman"

That's right. He made Captain of Special Services recently.  :lol:  I sent him an email asking for my get outta jail free card. He was not amused.  :lol:

Perhaps you'll get lucky and your friend will be able to provide the needed info. Maybe he already has. But just a heads up so there's no misunderstanding between you and your friend. Law enforcement personnel providing VIN or licenses plate listings for non-law enforcement purposes is a BIG no-no. You will find some who will do it but they usually don't understand the implications.  

I have a friend who was a police officer alongside me for more than 16 years. He has asked me three separate times since we both retired (I went back to work in the records section of the police department) if I could provide him with that type of information. He knows better and should have not put me in the position of having to say no but that's what I did. The administrators of those systems can EASILY determine who ran a VIN or plate or any other query on the system. Could mean disciplinary action, firing or, worse case senerio, the loss of your department's ability to use the system.  :cry:

Just so you won't be upset if he says that he can't.
 1978 TA W72 4sdp, WS6, Orig Owner -
- If there's nothing to do, I believe in doing nothing -

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 01:08:15 AM »
Yeah, thanks for the concern. Ramifications are understood, but do not pertain here. There is always a loophole... you just gotta find it and be able to substantiate it. Last time I needed info like that the times were much simpler and there wasn't nearly as much Big Brother!  :shock:

Offline wheels78ta

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 09:02:11 PM »
:D  :D  :D  :D   O.K.   An update on getting the info about my Y88...I called the previous owner again after about 3 weeks of waiting and found out he called a wrong number.....He said that getting history on this T/A would be easy because he is actually the 2nd owner and has all the information I need for the 1st owner.  To make a long story short,  the first owner bought it in CO. , sold it to her brother so he and his son could restore it,  which they never did, then sold it to the owner before me so he could restore it, which he never did, now it's my turn.  IT WILL BE RESTORED BY ME !!!!!!!  It will never be sold and it will never see 100,000 miles.  Thanks again for the help...A little bit of digging can go a long way.   :D  :D  :D  :D                Wheels

Offline Solar78

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 10:05:54 PM »
Quote from: "wheels78ta"
:D  :D  :D  :D   O.K.   An update on getting the info about my Y88...I called the previous owner again after about 3 weeks of waiting and found out he called a wrong number.....He said that getting history on this T/A would be easy because he is actually the 2nd owner and has all the information I need for the 1st owner.  To make a long story short,  the first owner bought it in CO. , sold it to her brother so he and his son could restore it,  which they never did, then sold it to the owner before me so he could restore it, which he never did, now it's my turn.  IT WILL BE RESTORED BY ME !!!!!!!  It will never be sold and it will never see 100,000 miles.  Thanks again for the help...A little bit of digging can go a long way.   :D  :D  :D  :D                Wheels

Good for you... glad it worked out...
How bout some photos of that low miles beaut?
"Yeah, thanks. Took the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so keep it on the down low"

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 04:52:06 AM »
Thats absolutely good detective work.

My search has ended at owner number two. Looking for W. Post in Las Vegas, NV on 09-27-79 was the last time anyone saw him. I have his name on the protect-o-plate dated 08-02-76 from the dealer as havimg 14.5 miles. I sure would like to know about those first three years with him.

Offline rugdaddy6

Re: car history with 13 digit VIN
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 09:41:27 AM »
where do I go to get a vin report

Offline GK_STAR

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 10:28:58 AM »
Try here.......I did it (as many other's here have) and it's worth the $35 Bucks.

http://www.phs-online.com/
But Hey...Thats just Me..I could be Wrong
Greg

78 T/A 403ci Olds
80 T/A 350ci Olds Rocket
78 Indy Pace Car Vette
64 Olds 88 2 Door Hardtop 394ci

Offline Magnum

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 02:14:22 AM »
nice to see someone have success with this venture. I ran a dead end right from the original dealership. gonna have to try harder someday.
Jason
'78 Y82 S.E. W72 4sp
longing 4 the road