Author Topic: 78 Trans Am power windows  (Read 8725 times)

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: 78 Trans Am power windows
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 12:03:14 PM »
That relay isn't reproduced, or at least the last I checked it wasn't. You can use a standard 4 prong, 30A relay available at most autoparts stores or Radioshack to replace it if you think its bad.

I had to do this as the morons at shop #1 broke the relay on me :(

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Vgm

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 02:10:20 PM »
Okay thanks for the heads up. I found one other problem. At the relay ( I havent replaced it yet) I found that only the orange and black wire has power. The pink and black also from the fusebox has power at that jumper wire right out of the fuse box but loses it sometim between there and the relay. The wires are wrapped through most of the distance and what is exposed I see no breaks is there a connection I am missing or should I just run a new wire from the jumper wire at the fusebox and splice it into the harness connecting to the relay? Thank you.

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 02:25:52 PM »
I *think* that pink wire is ignition hot. Meaning, it only has voltage going to it with the key in either the Run or ACC position. With the key in the Run or ACC position do you have voltage on the Pink wire at the relay? If not, time to trace the wire from one end to the other to see where the break is.

IF your volt meter tests for continuity, you can also do that check on the wire to see if its broken. IF your volt meter does not include a test for continuity you can still test to see if its broken by setting your meter to test Ohms (resistance). A reading of 0 means the wire is continuous while a reading of 1 means that its got a break in it somewhere. (I think I have those right...been a while since I broke out the meter for this).

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Vgm

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »
Probably a silly question but the fourth pin is able to sit out unnattached to anything? And also will it fit the stock harness easily or does it need to be bent or anything?

Offline Vgm

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 03:09:11 PM »
I should probably explain. I now have voltage on both wires at the hrelay harness. However while its connected and key is on I do not have power at the pink wire at the two connecting harness on the driver kick panel leading the pink wire to the window switch. Therefore i guess the relay is bad since I have power going in but not out?