Author Topic: Edelbrock Heads?  (Read 7681 times)

Offline dgilleland

Edelbrock Heads?
« on: December 22, 2006, 07:05:18 PM »
I am pondering on replacing  6X-4 heads as a winter project and would like to get feedback of cost vs performance. My 6X heads were rebuilt with stainless valves and milled slightly to square things up.  The 400 cam is roughly 226 @ 50 with 465 lift (1.6 roller rockers) should be around 490 lift. The bottom end is 2 bolt main , forged flat top pistons ect.  Preformer manifold , MDS ignition, underdrive pullys, windage tray, crank scraper, quadrajet carb, supercomp headers, 350 Turbo (3000 stall) 3:42 posi disc.  I had the short block built by a local shop Kammer / Kammer and it seemed like forever to get  those rings seated (molly).  This project would cost roughly 3K plus time and I am not sure if it is worth the $$.

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
Edelbrock Heads?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 10:03:54 AM »
My understanding and from what I can tell, you can spend a lot of $$ on getting your heads ported etc and they still won't flow as good as a set of Edelbrock ones for the same $$.
Plus the weight savings and with the aluminum heads you might t away with a bit higher compression without detonation because the aluminum runs cooler.

Again just what I have heard and read, I am buying a set for my 400.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline bad76

Edelbrock Heads?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 08:05:17 AM »
I also have the 6x heads on my 76 with a 455 and they were reworked like crazy. The 6x heads worked properly will flow better than the Edelbrock's out of the box. The Edelbrocks have more material to work with when porting. If you go with the Edelbrocks have them ported in order to get the full potential out of them.

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
Edelbrock Heads?
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 08:57:38 PM »
How much to get your 6x heads worked over?
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline bad76

Edelbrock Heads?
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 12:06:59 PM »
I paid around $900 for my heads to be reworked, but that included a complete rebuild. I definitly would like to have the edelbrock heads one day but I was running out of money because my motor alone cost me a crap load, but you get what you pay for.

Offline Starsky

Edelbrock Heads?
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 02:04:38 AM »
I am about to rebuild the 403 in my 79 with the edelbrock aluminum heads and intake as well as some other components. . Im pretty excited about waking up the beast. I'll let you know how it turns out
9 Special Edition per PHS
403 T-Top

Offline bad76

Edelbrock Heads?
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 10:08:03 AM »
Starsky, I would order those Edelbrock heads bare and have a shop that knows what they are doing go thru them. Have them ported, better valves installed and stronger springs installed. The Edelbrock heads are a good head out of the box but they have the potential of being a great head. Good luck with the rebuild.

Offline chitownTA

Edelbrock Heads?
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 01:54:46 PM »
Edelbrock heads will need round port headers instead of the stock D port type.Round ports are a bit pricey from what I saw when I was shopping for heads and since I bought a set of RA manifolds I went with KRE heads.  Aluminum D ports built however you want them for about the same price as edelbrocks.  

Those 6x-4s are pretty good heads too, it all depends on how much you can spend.  Right now I'm going with a stroker setup and using my 6x8s until I can buy a set of kre's.

http://www.krepower.com/

Offline 455dave

Re: Edelbrock Heads?
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 06:50:35 PM »
Quote from: "dgilleland"
I am pondering on replacing  6X-4 heads as a winter project and would like to get feedback of cost vs performance. My 6X heads were rebuilt with stainless valves and milled slightly to square things up.  The 400 cam is roughly 226 @ 50 with 465 lift (1.6 roller rockers) should be around 490 lift. The bottom end is 2 bolt main , forged flat top pistons ect.  Preformer manifold .

Without a cam and intake change you will pick up some power but not $3000 worth in my opinion. If you look at the flow sheets on the E heads flow doesn't really start getting a big jump over the D ports till the .500 to .600 lift range. The Performer intake will be the choke point even with a cam upgrade.

I'm not sure if you are running stock rods or the weight of your pistons but that plays a big part in how high you can spin the 400.

On the other hand, the E heads are a good investment if you want to build a high horsepower motor down the road. The only problem I could see with that is if you buy 72 cc heads and want to build a 455 the compression will be way up there but you can always get a good price for E heads when it's time to sell them.

Offline BAN ONE

Edelbrock Heads?
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 09:32:58 PM »
Here is a flow rate  link for Edelbrock heads.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/head_flowdata.html
1977 Y81 Trans Am
1971 455HO Trans Am (SOLD)

Offline joeq28

Edelbrock Heads?
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 08:11:19 PM »
I've been pondering replacing my 6x heads also with the edelbrock heads, alot of people have opinions on them but I don't hear from anyone who has them if you do could you drop me an email and let me know too? thanks
72/4-speed

Offline BAN ONE

Edelbrock Heads?
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 10:46:40 PM »
I have a set on my motor..but haven't fired it up yet to give an opinion. They are 30 lbs per head lighter than the factory head. I bought mine bare, had them ported and built with the valvetrain parts required for my setup.
1977 Y81 Trans Am
1971 455HO Trans Am (SOLD)

Offline moneypit

Edelbrock Heads?
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 09:45:54 PM »
dont have 'em but 400+for headers and 90 for bolts!!!!!!!!! yikes
trixie's big red rocket of love     2007 r1 170 rwhp woohoo                                  THE BLACK RHINO 1997 k1500 shortbed stepside ALL BLACK 6" lift 35"mudders no chrome stainless or aluminum anywhere.

Offline TnVTX

• Rusty & Sheri's Cars
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 06:55:12 PM »
I had my E-Heads dissassembled by the shop & mild port job done.
Shops charge less to port aluminum heads, and room left for even bigger power levels down the road.
I run the Crower 041 style, with 1.65 rockers gives .517 lift. Great street combo...

Rusty Morgan
'78 T/A W-72 400 with Eagle 468" Stroker kit, E-Heads.
'81 4spd Vette
'07 Solstice GXP (Intercooled Turbo)
'03 VTX-1800c

Offline bad76

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 04:18:22 PM »
 Great looking motor TnVtX. Where did you get your fuel pump block off plate?