Author Topic: No Headlights and dash light issue  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Airforrest

No Headlights and dash light issue
« on: July 03, 2019, 07:47:04 AM »
Hey guys, On my 79' T/A...the headlights were working fine, then just stopped all at once. All the parking and marker lights work still. Also, when the parking lights are on, and when I step on the Brake pedal...the dash lights up brighter ??? Is it my Headlight switch that is bad, and if so, what is the process for changing it out as far as taking the instrument panel apart? Thanks for any ideas

Offline Stringer

Re: No Headlights and dash light issue
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 10:28:18 PM »
It is most probably the headlight switch. It is a cheap part. They may have it at your local auto supply. To remove: Remove the dash bezzel, remove the lower dash cover, remove the ac duct behind dash cover. This will get you access to the wiring harness and clips. Locate the clips and detach. It is a tight fit. Pull fast and hard on the switch knob to remove it from the switch assembly, then proceed to remove and replace with a new the switch.  30 minute job.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 10:33:30 PM by Stringer »

Offline Airforrest

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 09:47:49 AM »
Thanks, I will do that next and report the results back !

Offline Airforrest

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 11:21:17 PM »
new headlight switch in........dash lights are ok, but still no headlights. Cleaned grounds on radiator support also. Is there a headlight relay on the 79' T/A's?

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 12:17:29 AM »
Were you using high beams at all? Time to start tracing some wiring and see what's still getting power. No relays, originally. Got a wiring diagram?

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 09:44:18 AM »
What do you think about the dimmer switch Aus? I know the floor dimmer switches could be problematic. Column ones too?
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed hardtop

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 10:27:34 AM »
At least the floor switches are easily swapped out and commonly available, not so much with 79-81 combination stalk. Some of the wiring to headlight and high beam is shared via the switch so in theory if it fails you would lose all lights, park lights and flashers not affected.