Author Topic: 1977 SE Bandit found after being gone for decades  (Read 9411 times)

Offline onebluess

• Laissez les bons temps rouler !
1977 SE Bandit found after being gone for decades
« on: April 28, 2014, 03:04:46 PM »
I have an old post where I had found a 1980 SE with the original build sheets but never went forward with it because of the rust and the 301 engine. I hauled it across the country and sold it, wanted something better. So I just came upon a 1977 SE Y82 W72 4 speed with an 8 track that has been lost for about 25 years. Car had been parted extensively over the years so it is in pieces because it was impounded and never taken out of the original owner’s name. He was under the impression the car was lost and it was still in his name all these years. I found it in a shack in the middle of nowhere just by chance.  By the telltale signs I pretty sure it was an SE and took the chance of buying it without a title. I did my due diligence by sending a release of interest to the last registered owner and of course he contacted me wanting his car back. Once he saw it I ended up buying it from him. Again……. But all that is still better than waiting three years for a title.  And of course I got some history on the car also. The car had three owners, the two brothers and then the one brother’s son who I bought it from. And an original picture of the car from 1982. It was also stated that it had 38,000 miles when it was impounded. Notice the same bumper sticker and cheap rear mud flaps.  I don’t know how lucky I am to find this combination nowadays but it is 1 of 2699 built in 1977. I plan on starting the resto summer of 2015.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:59:09 PM by onebluess »

Offline onebluess

Re: 1977 SE Bandit found after being gone for decades
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:10:54 PM »

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:00:09 PM by onebluess »

Offline 81

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:11:25 AM »
So I went through my spare parts and don't have much, if anything you need (unless you want to put a '79 nose on your car!)  If you cannot track down a complete engine for your project I do have a very nice set of bare 6X4 heads.  I was going to put them on my rebuilt 400; however, I found a pair of high compression late 1960's heads and used those instead.

Offline onebluess

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 11:13:22 AM »
how much for the 6X-4 heads?
I'm also looking at buying a 79 black t top and you never know I might need some front body parts also.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:30:54 AM by onebluess »

Offline banditbls

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 07:23:04 PM »
That is so cool that you were able to find this car and then get the title and the history on it  .....  8)

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 11:10:28 PM »
I hate to say it but I would think it was not an SE. In 1982 those window moldings should have still been black. It wasn't uncommon for someone to put black t tops on a non SE and slap some new decals.

I think PHS is in order.

I hope you have the original drive train or this car is just another salvaged TA

Offline onebluess

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 12:02:16 PM »
I bought the phs documents a few weeks after i got it. Couldn't wait. It is a Y82 SE. The moldings had me baffled too. Maybe a miss at the factory. I don't know. I don't have the original numbers matching drivetrain but i believe all that affects is the resale value. Im just happy to have a real 77' SE Trans AM.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:06:21 PM by onebluess »

Offline onebluess

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 12:08:31 PM »
That is so cool that you were able to find this car and then get the title and the history on it  .....  8)

Thanks. Finding the history on a rare car can be the funnest part. The 82'history picture i thought was killer.

Offline onebluess

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 11:38:23 AM »
Maybe someone could pitch in and help out as to why the rear window moldings arent flat black as they should be? The car was only about 5 years old in the picture. Maybe the paint was chippings a little and the owner found it easier just to remove it and not have to worry about it anymore is my best guess.......

Offline jmurray878

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »
Maybe they just wanted chrome instead, firebird/trans am parts would have been widely available at a dealer back in those days.  Just a thought
Jim
Mayan Red '79 T/A
Atlantis Blue '79 Formy

"I'm you're Huckleberry"

Offline onebluess

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 04:35:02 PM »
I guess he could have ordered it with plain molding even though it's more of a brushed aluminum look and not chrome. Is a regular TA chrome? One thing I did forget to add is I was told he ordered the car with no screaming chicken decal because he thought it looked tacky. Wish I had an old picture to show that. I definitly think that is something I'm going to change. Screaming Chickens are cool now.......

Offline jmurray878

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
I believe all T/A trim would be black. Base Firebirds had a somewhat brushed look anodized aluminum trim. Not entirely sure about fomulas.
Jim
Mayan Red '79 T/A
Atlantis Blue '79 Formy

"I'm you're Huckleberry"

Offline onebluess

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 11:40:35 AM »
Did a search and the B89 Black rear window moldings were only for SE's 76-78. In 79 all TA's got the black. That's what is baffling me as to why mine was plain when the car was only five years old. I'm thinking since the owner wanted the car with no hood bird he might for some strange reason not wanted the black rear window trim. The front trim is no longer black also.

Offline onebluess

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 12:19:54 PM »
PHS

Style, 1977, Firebird, Norwood, Fisher production number
Trim, Black Vinyl Deluxe Interior, Bucket Seats, Starlight Black lower, Starlight Black upper
Built 2nd week of December 1976, Trans Am, Black Interior
Fisher Date Time Code

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:31:01 PM by onebluess »

Offline banditbls

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 11:37:50 PM »
 Chrome vs Black  trim and T-tops can throw you a curve ball sometimes ....  Case in point ....  My 1977 SE .....

THIS pic is from 1985 , only a month after I got it .... 

Trans Am "experts" always questioned my T/A , when I  Showed pics .... Snarling their noses up without asking any history , or just dismissing me as another idiot ..... lol

I bought the car in 1985 with 69K on it , a clean ashtray ..... It even have the cat converter still ...... It was not until a few years ago that I actually got my PHS ...... I was pretty sure it would be a 1 of the 2,699 4-speed Y82's ..... but .......

It turns out it is 1 of the 384 Y81 4-speeds  ;D

You see the Hurst papers in the top left ? My car apparently got sent out by the dealer , cause nobody wanted a hardtop or the original buyer wanted them installed before delivery ....  I contacted the dealership , but no records were left from that far back and nobody was still there that might have remembered....

Yes I still have the car , although it only now has 83,336 miles on it now , you would guess it had 383,000 ... And some would question if it even was an SE by it's present looks .....    ;)  I don't have the original block anymore , someone stole it outta my garage several years ago along with the radiator and other precious metals .....

MORAL OF THIS STORY :  things get switched , accidents happen , parts get replaced ..... PHS service is awesome ....

My car was only seven years old , when I got it from the 2nd owner ....  Front and rear window trim was chrome and never appeared to have ever been black ..... It was shipped 3/14/1977 ....  MAYBE the late date had something to do with the chrome trim ?  Maybe the dealer after getting the car back from Custom Trim of Indy ( Hurst Hatch Installer) removed the "black" trim and replaced it with chrome to match the T-Tops ..... 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 12:39:08 AM by banditbls »