Author Topic: Sway bar bushings  (Read 2797 times)

Offline tigermc

Sway bar bushings
« on: January 24, 2007, 08:14:13 PM »
I need to know what size sway bar bushings to get. Both for the front sway bar and rear. :?:

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Sway bar bushings
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:17:09 PM »
What size swaybars do  you have?  Not trying to crack wise, but there have been a couple of different sizes over the years.  You can use an open end wrench to gauge the size -- it'll be the one that just barely slips over the bar(s).

Offline tigermc

Sway bar bushings
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 08:20:40 PM »
Im not sure what size it is.  Its a 78 trans Am that Im restoring.  I know that a 1 1/8 wont fit over  the front bar and I havent tried to measure the back.  
Im new at the restoring thing being that Im 16.  I bought an entire bushing kit  for the car but it didnt come with the sway bar bushings. Maybe thats the reason.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Sway bar bushings
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 08:29:44 PM »
It probably is the reason you didn't get those bushings.  You can also use a crescent wrench as a gauge, then measure the distance between the jaws to get the diameter if you don't have open end wrenches that big.

Offline tigermc

Sway bar bushings
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 08:36:13 PM »
thanks.  Is that for the rear sway bar as well?

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Sway bar bushings
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 08:39:33 PM »
Yes, that method will work for both -- just be sure the bar is clean and free of any undercoating, etc., that would distort your measurements.

Offline tigermc

Sway bar bushings
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 08:43:20 PM »
Thanks again.
By the way, do you happen to know of any place where I can find a bare pontiac 400 block that hasnt been machined or anything?...I kinda destroyed mine. :(

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Sway bar bushings
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 09:35:20 PM »
Bummer.  By this time (29 years after they went out of production) just about all the wrecking yards have sent those (and the cars they came in) to the crusher.  The price of scrap iron has been driven into the stratosphere by the Chinese construction boom (we live in a global economy today) so everything that's not been nailed down has been melted for scrap.  I'd start by going down to the Parts section of this forum (it's on the index page down at the bottom) and posting the question there, or over on transamcountry.com (they have a parts section too).  Alternatively you can scout eBay for some, but shipping for a ~200 pound block of iron will be expensive.  Of course, if money's not a problem there are outfits that cast new ones that are enhanced for racing performance but which will fit in your car.

Good luck. :lol:

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Sway bar bushings
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 10:33:31 PM »
The fronts are 1.25 inch.  The rear, you've got to measure unless you know if you have the WS6 option or not.  I believe the WS6 bar was 3/4 inch while the non WS6 was 5/8.  But I'm not sure which is thicker cause fractions aren't my strong point.   :lol:

Of course I know which one is thicker!  I'm an accountant....whichever one you want to be thicker.

On the pontiac engine...there was a W72 engine under parts for sale.  Not sure if it's still available though.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Sway bar bushings
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 11:12:39 PM »
Quote from: "ta78w72"
Of course I know which one is thicker!  I'm an accountant....whichever one you want to be thicker.

I thought that kind of interpretation was a LAWYER'S job! :shock:  :lol:  :lol: