Author Topic: Burning out of my project. Maybe just looking for some motivation?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline sphynx88

So this is more of a b***h fest and as a first post, it may be a bit much. At the end of it, has anyone felt the same way about their project? Thought about cashing out and doing something different?

I've had my 78 WS6 Trans Am since I was 15 (I'm 28 now). I've thrown at least 13k at it, pulled the motor twice, have a stack of parts in my garage. It's in fine condition, but despite the numerous projects over the years it's still... just... not great.

I had it painted in high school at Maaco, which still looks around 85%... fine. I redid the interior, which also looks 85%... fine.

Mechanically.... it leaks everywhere, it makes noises. It limps and smokes. When it gets to temp it runs better, but it's still a boat anchor. I've bought 3 sets of weatherstripping and it still leaks a significant amount of water if it rains.

Part of me wants to swap in an LS1 and part of me thinks that after spending 5k on a rebuilt th350, rear end, pypes exhaust, custom heads, rebuilt heads and a cam kit I should just live with it since it runs.

I have a list of about 45 things I'd still like to fix and to top it all, I never drive it anymore. I haven't touched the poor thing in 6 months.

Maybe I'm a poor mechanic or maybe I am just cursed with the car but it seems everything I touch, turns into hours more work than I thought.

I've thought at length about selling and buying something newer, but with how long I've had the car and with the styling of it... it makes it difficult. Again, I'm feeling burned out of the project. Its not what it should be for the hours and the money I've invested. Any words of motivation to pick things up again?

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Burning out of my project. Maybe just looking for some motivation?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 11:40:07 PM »
Sometimes (nearly all time) repeatedly trying to save money and having to redo it over and over is a lot more expensive in the long run than doing it properly once.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 06:55:53 AM »
It was bought and paid for long ago, so it won't cost you anything to walk away from it for awhile and come back later when you have a renewed zest for the project.
AND if you sell it, you MIGHT be kicking yourself down the road. You've kept it this long for a reason ;)

Classics are only going up in value so it would cost you more later if you decide you can't live without one.
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 07:02:11 AM »
When you do finish it you'll have a lot more connection to it thab if you simply bought someone elses completed project with whole new issues. Get it done, sit back and be proud of it. Patience, my car is similar. Bought restored but been off the road 10 years correcting it, engine rebuilt twice. Have wanted to just get rid of it a few times from frustration but i know it will be worth a fraction what ive spent when complete, next to nothing as parts.

Offline sphynx88

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 07:49:50 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

Just spent most of the day replacing the centerlink, tie-rods and idler arm and an o-ring on the transmission. Has needed this done badly since the day I brought it home so glad to get a major project off my shoulders. I think I just need some quick wins and then some quality drive time to put me back int eh motivation bucket.

I do think I'd regret selling out down the road.