Author Topic: Starter problem! ^&**  (Read 2947 times)

Offline soldier79ta

Starter problem! ^&**
« on: September 02, 2006, 08:33:10 AM »
I cant win for loosing, fixed the turnsig/ stoplight issue.  It was a bad wire from the fuse box.  (New Problem)  The car had been sitting for two weeks, and all the troubleshooting on the lights I am sure affected the battery.  She started up, I drove of post for maybe ten minutes. Tried to start her up again and just click from the starter. It sounds like the solenoid is engaging and thats all.  Only sometimes do I get a volt reading in the run poss. and the volts drop when trying to start.  

Sound familiar to anyone?
oldier79ta
Bamberg, Germany
US ARMY

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Starter problem! ^&**
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 09:19:02 AM »
How old is the battery?  I always replace mine at the first sign of trouble.  They aren't that expensive and I don't like fooling around with them.

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Starter problem! ^&**
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 09:26:01 AM »
Might also be a hot start issue.  Depending on your set up of the car, like headers and such, sometimes the starters get too hot after running due to heat and closeness of the exhuats and they won't start.  Will it start after you let the car cool down?
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Zulu

• http://groups.msn.com/TransAm1978
Starter problem! ^&**
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 01:12:09 PM »
Quote from: "Hitman"
Might also be a hot start issue.  Depending on your set up of the car, like headers and such, sometimes the starters get too hot after running due to heat and closeness of the exhuats and they won't start.  Will it start after you let the car cool down?

Ditto, bingo and all of that. Mine did that after some years even with the bone stock set up. It would always start after about a 20-30 minute cool down. Replacement of the starter cured the problem (at least until the heat kills this one too).
 1978 TA W72 4sdp, WS6, Orig Owner -
- If there's nothing to do, I believe in doing nothing -