Author Topic: 79 403 has no power at all  (Read 4102 times)

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
Re: 79 403 has no power at all
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 10:32:52 AM »
So the positive cable is on the starter.
What about the two "little wires" you mentioned. What did you do with them?
Is the a smaller wire running from the positive battery terminal post? If so, trace where it goes.
What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline stunterdude

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 09:06:11 PM »
go it.... no power to windows, thats about it

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 09:11:07 PM »
Relay or fuse probably. How does it run??

Offline stunterdude

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 10:17:47 PM »
starter wiring was wrong, also the tranny linkage wasnt hooked up and thats why it wouldnt turn over bc it wasnt in park.......havent ran it yet im prolly going to need a new distributer and wires

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 11:19:59 PM »
I promise I was going there next after the starter was wired. I wondered if I could explain bypassing the neutral safety switch. Good deal glad u got it.

Offline aussiegirl63

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 06:13:25 PM »
I have the same problem with my 78 403.

So far, I have replaced the battery cables, battery and had the starter rebuilt (it was having issues not restarting when hot so it had to be rebuilt anyway).  Still nothing.  Headlights will work but nothing else - no interior or dash instruments.  When I put the key in there is nothing at all.  Not sure everything is wired back onto the starter.  Does anyone have a photo of starter wiring they could send or post?  Does the CD manual that Hitman sells have that sort of detail?  If so I'm happy to buy one but if not I'd rather spend my money on getting my car running again.  Withdrawals (from not driving my TA) are hard to take.

Thanks

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 08:43:47 PM »
First thing I would suspect is your neutral/safety switch. It's on the lower end of the steering column under the dash and needs to be hooked up and adjusted correctly to let the car start. If it's bad or mis-adjusted, you turn the key and nothing happens.
To test if it is the problem, unplug the connector with purple wires from the neutral/safety switch(N/S switch). Plug a jumper wire from one slot in the connector to the other. A big cotter pin can work as a jumper wire too, but don't let it touch any metal, since it will be hot when you turn the key. By jumping the connector, you're connecting the 2 purple wires, which is what the switch would do if it were working. With the car in park, try to start it. Be sure the car is in Park, since without the switch, the car will start in any gear and you don't want it taking off when you go to start it. If it turns over, you know the N/S switch is bad or mis-adjusted. If it still doesn't crank over, then the problem is something else.

One way to know that the N/S switch is adjusted right is whether the backup lights come on when the shifter is in reverse with the key on.

A second thing to check in relation to the N/S switch are the rods from the bottom of the column to the transmission. Those rods move the switch as you move your shifter. The car will only start with the switch in the park or neutral positions. If your rods are missing, loose, or out of adjustment, your switch will not be in the right position to let the car start. So, one way to check that is to look at the lever on the bottom of the column inside the engine compartment. It has to be in the full up position for the car to start. If it isn't all the way up when the car is in park, you need to adjust the rod on it. Or disconnect the rod and pull the lever all the way up and try to start the car.
So, those are 2 things to look at first. If those don't work, post back here for other possibilities.

In any case, having the Service manual for your car is always desirable. It does have a wiring diagram that shows what wires go where, although it's not real easy to read, but it is useable. It also has troubleshooting sections to help you diagnose mechanical and electrical and fuel problems.

Steve F.

Offline aussiegirl63

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 10:14:54 PM »
Hi Steve

Thanks for the suggestions and I will certainly check them out this weekend.  Ok, time for a dumb question - with a floor shift would the rods, n/s etc still be on the column or under it?  I thought my n/s was what was forward of Park on my shifter.  Also, would either of those problems take out all my interior lights and dash panel power?  I have headlights but nothing else.

Thanks for the recommendation on the manual.  I expect I'll order it next pay day.

I appreciate your help. 

Robyn

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 10:21:39 PM »
Hi Robyn. The NSS should be on the column, and you should have rods from the trans to the bottom of the column.

I think the lights are an unrelated problem.
Steve F.

Offline aussiegirl63

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 10:33:24 PM »
Thanks Steve I appreciate the help - I do hope you are wrong (about the lights being a separate problem)  :D

Robyn

Offline crowz1

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 10:09:08 PM »
Just a thought ,, does the T/A have fuseabe links on the firewall connectors for your engine / light harness. M 70 Roadrunner has em. Just a thought. Chris in books yet.Maine Don't have schematics or parts books yet, The ohm meter is a wonderful tool.
1973 Formula 400 -4 Gear bought new
1979 TATA 400 4-spd
-1979 Black Z28 loaded t-tops Gold stripes 4-SPD
1973 RSZ28 LT-1 4-spd
1973 Corvette
1971 Chevelle SS Ragtop 1 of 76
1970 383 Roadrunner 4-spd buckets air grabber

Offline aussiegirl63

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 10:16:06 PM »
Hi Crowz1
I believe so, that is the next step.  It is a slow process working on it only on weekends - with my car up on jack stands. Took photos of the wiring for the starter before removing it (for rebuild) so hopefully the manual from here will arrive before Saturday and help with figuring out which wire seems to be missing and where to connect it.  Yes the ohm meter is a wonderful tool!!

Thanks for your reply; I appreciate your help.

Robyn

Offline Cbled56

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 02:30:49 AM »
It's your fusible link the one on your starter, I had the same thing happen to mine before.  You can buy them at auto zone or most auto parts places.
1972 Formula 455HO
1976 LE Trans am
1976 Formula 350
1977 Grand Prix
1978 Trans am
1979 Trans am
1968 Olds 442
1971 TR6

Offline Cbled56

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 02:54:28 AM »
Have you checked the wires going to the starter for the fusible link to see if it has burned through?  My battery was not strapped down correctly once and during a hard stop the battery grounded out and the car died.  Had to have it towed back home, and after a few days of trying everything I noticed that the link was burned.  Installed the link and the car fired right up.  I carry a couple of them in the car now just in case.
1972 Formula 455HO
1976 LE Trans am
1976 Formula 350
1977 Grand Prix
1978 Trans am
1979 Trans am
1968 Olds 442
1971 TR6

Offline aussiegirl63

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 12:28:27 AM »
Thanks everyone for all your help - like Cbled56 suggested, it was a fusible link - someone before I owned my car crimped the fusible link through the insulation, so eventually the crimp worked its way through and that was the end of that.  Talk about frustrating trying to figure out the problem - the link looked ok until we pulled it out from the butt connector.  I can't tell you how great it felt tonight, on a warm spring night, to finally after get out and about in my TA again!!
Thanks again for everyone's help.