Author Topic: Revamped the Stereo System  (Read 7340 times)

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
Revamped the Stereo System
« on: July 02, 2008, 11:34:47 PM »
Well, I figured it was about time to revamp my stereo system in my car.  I did my first one about 6 years ago with a normal shaft mount stereo in the original spot in the dash, 6 disc CD changer in the trunk going through an FM modulator with amp and sub.  I have been meaning to change it over for a while and update it, but just never had the chanvce to.  So, I go some ambition and got around to making a quick change.  I tore apart the inside of my car to do the radio swap for something a little more up-to-date and more of what I wanted.

I removed all of the wiring from the old system and kept it intact to maybe sell or use in another car maybe someday.

I put the original AM/FM 8-Track radio in its place in the dash where it was supposed to go and then used one of the map pocket adapters to install my new head unit.

I went with the total black out face of this JVC stereo so that it wasn't as noticeable in the console when it was mounted.  Here is a link to the stereo head unit I purchased for my car: http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028306&pathId=133&page=1 .  It has all the bells and whistles to it like MP3 plugs, iPod plugs, inputs and outputs galore, Bluetooth, HD Radio, Satallite radio, Digital surrond for watching DVD Movies on it... blah, blah, blah.  Anyway, the reason I bought that one is because of the blacked out face of the radio.... it hides so nicely right down in that map pocket.

All in all, I like it and it took me about 2 hours to do.  I had some extra wiring I had to do, but it was a pretty simple install.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline dgtldesigner

• Stevie's Diner - Classic American Eats with a Retro Twist
Re: Revamped the Stereo System
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:42:57 PM »
pretty sweeet!

hey what happened to your other floor mats?

Steve

1981 Turbo Trans Am
1983 Trans Am

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 11:44:40 PM »
They are in the trunk... I only take them out for shows.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline dgtldesigner

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 11:45:28 PM »
oh. well aren't you mr fancy with your two sets of floor mats.
haha jk buddy!  ;D
Steve

1981 Turbo Trans Am
1983 Trans Am

Offline Klatt87

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 07:40:22 AM »
I like that a lot. I am getting ready to put in a CD player and speakers in my car, not looking forward to all that wiring crap though :(

Offline 78ta

• The 8 track and gauge/stereo console adapter guy.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 03:11:09 PM »
Hey Brett,
Thanks for the heads up on the post. Looks great. Nice choice on the stereo. It does hide the fact that it's a stereo pretty well. I'm always concerned about leaving my car with the t-tops out because it's so easy to pop the flip down face of the stereo off. That one will cetainly draw less attention to itself.

Anything on the map pocket adapter I need to change or add? Did you even have to refer to the instruction sheet I sent with it? Just wondering if there are any errors or something that needs to be clarified.

I'm going to replace the aftermarket Poineer the previous owner had in my car with a factory am/fm/8 track. I notice you have your glove box out. Did you go through the glove box to install the factory stereo?

Just curious, did you hook up both stereos? I did that on my 70 442. I just "shared" the right rear speaker between the two systems by installing a hidden double pole/double throw toggle switch in the right rear speaker wire. When I play the cd player, it plays through the 4 new speakers. 2 under the dash and the 2 in the package tray. When I play the factory stereo
+ 8 track, I flip the toggle switch and it plays through the center dash speaker and the right rear speaker. I always make sure one is off before turning the other on. The only time I really even use the factory stuff is when people at shows ask if the 8 track really works?

FYI anyone considering doing this, be aware that you have to switch both the ground wire and the signal wire for that "shared" speaker. New stereos use a "return" that actually goes back to the stereo instead of just grounding to the chassis like the old stereos. If you just ground the speakers for a new stereo to the chassis, you will burn up your new stereo. So in one position(old stereo), one wire on that speaker will be connected to the old stereo and one wire to chassis ground. In the other position(new stereo), one wire on that speaker will be connected to the new stereo and the other will connect to the return line on the new stereo.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 03:15:59 PM by 78ta »
Randy

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 08:12:14 PM »
nope, I had no problems with the adapter what so ever.  It was an easy install and a good fit.  I was going to hook up my original 8-Track, but didn't want to deal with the wiring quite yet, so I will leave that for another day.  Yes, I took the glovebox out for easy access to get the old radio out and put the original radio back in.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline norwood

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 11:27:37 PM »
oh. well aren't you mr fancy with your two sets of floor mats.
haha jk buddy!  ;D

I thought that everyone had two sets...
OUR DAY IS COMING SOON

Offline dgtldesigner

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 05:07:45 AM »

I thought that everyone had two sets...

pft.. not me. i've only got one set. and they are crappppy
Steve

1981 Turbo Trans Am
1983 Trans Am

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 11:22:44 AM »
Actually, I have three sets.  I have the normal basic black set in the car for normal driving, the set of fancy "Trans Am" mats with the bird, and then another set of the fancy "Trans Am" mats with the bird brand new in my closet.  I am also going to purchase the correct black "GM" rubber floor mats as well.  So, I will have four sets then.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 10:14:24 PM »
I put this as information on my website as well here: https://www.78ta.com/resto/stereo.php

Also, on the bottom of that page is a Stereo Install Guide from Crutchfield that will help you to figure out what stereo goes into what car.  Helps with all makes and models of cars.  Also, if you order your stereo components through there, you will get an extra discount off of your purchase because you used 78ta.com to get there.  Every little bit helps.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline CT Bird Fan

• Dave
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 06:04:20 AM »
That looks great Brett!!! I wouldn't even have noticed the new stereo in the map pocket if you didn't mention it!
Gone but not forgotten - 1979 Formula, 1980 Esprit.

Being birdless sucks!

Offline deadfish

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 08:02:05 AM »
That looks great Brett!!! I wouldn't even have noticed the new stereo in the map pocket if you didn't mention it!

X2...I kept looking around the photos for your new "head unit"....It really does disappear in the map pocket..nice touch!

Rick C.

Offline 80TArebuild

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 11:38:38 AM »
I have my head unit installed in the map tray as well, and it just screams "Steal me!!! Steal me!!!"  I really like the head unit you installed, maybe my wife will like it enough to justify an update for mine.  Ya know for security reasons..haha...nice work!
Lucas & Summer
1980 T/A - Pontiac 400, Turbo 400 trans.
1997 Dodge Dakota
2007 Ford Fusion

Offline rad400

• Adv. Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 03:30:47 PM »
So how much was the fancy radio?
Conrad
79 Trans am 400 t400 3500 stall #12 heads holley 750 vac carb. Torker II intake 3:73:1 gears 12 bolt rear.