Author Topic: 1979 Trans Am Coupe Rebuild  (Read 23062 times)

Offline rpguitarrepair

1979 Trans Am Coupe Rebuild
« on: May 12, 2012, 07:46:07 AM »
I'm finally getting around to having enough progress to start posting pics. My goal has been to make this a family project, so you'll see pictures of my kids, my wife, my dad, my father-n-law, etc. I've gone partly in a resto-mod direction, with some improvements in almost every area. In the vein of this being a family project, the direction of most of the mods are either to make the car worthy of long drives, mild-mannered enough for my wife to drive it to work, and to perform nicely without being a pain to drive.

I've had tons of great advice and parts sold to me by members of this site. I deeply appreciate the help from people such as Grand73Am, 2ndchildhood, Burd, 78w72, shakerz, RENOVATIONS, BLURR, and obviously Hitman for hosting the site. I hope at sometime I get to meet you guys and shake your hand in person. I certainly owe you any help I can offer.

The car itself is a 1979 WS-4 coupe with 106K miles and a 403. I've had cars in the past with t-tops, and with body flex and the potential for leaking issues, I chose a coupe for the project.  The car was complete (even with 8-track), which was one of the reasons I bought it. It also had a really nice interior, save for a dash crack and trashed door panels. Since I started from the bottom, new suspension components include the following:

Eibach 1" drop front springs w/ KYB gas adjust shocks
1 1/4" front sway bar
Poly bushings replaced from A-arms down
New steering linkage/ box
Protouring F Body GT rear suspension kit w/ Anco racing shocks
5/8" rear sway bar

Driveline:
3.73 posi unit
Extreme Automatics Stage 2 200-4R OD Transmission (2.50 final drive)

Panel replacement:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:19:34 PM by rpguitarrepair »

Offline joe d

• Adv. Member
Re: 1979 Trans Am Coupe Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 08:23:07 AM »
nice project and great progress
1979 ws6 trans am (current project)
2005 mercedes s55
2001 dodge durango
1980 SE trans am (new current project)
1971 Monte Carlo
the 5 p's "perfect planning prevents poor performance"

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 08:58:35 AM »
Big Thumbs up from me.
I love the projects the whole family is involved in.
Means so much more .

Sir -- I bet your wife thought you were crazy when you cut the back end of the T/A apart .

Great progress for sure!!!!
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline dewcrazzy

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Bob
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 09:24:07 AM »
Super thread.....Love the support family and friends give helping out on the project. Nice work also...The best is seeing the kids help out.

Offline grubbano

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »
Nice work, It's great what a TA(any car) can do to bring us closer to our family and friends.

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 10:05:38 AM »
Thanks guys. The whole family pretty much bought in from the get-go. I could ask the kids if they want to ride to the store, and they're like "nah...", then I go outside and fire up the TA and they come running out of the house like monkeys.

My wife helped me pick the car out, but yeah ShakerBreaker, she's never seen anyone drive a car around with nothing but a steering wheel and a seat  ;D

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 10:53:47 PM »
Enjoyed the pics Randy. Good to see what you've been doin'  :) . The car is looking great. Looks like a fun time by all.

Steve F.

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 06:20:08 PM »
Firewall painted, subframe installed:

Lower control arm installation:

Reconditioned ac box:

Transmission tunnel detail:

Scrubbing lockout:

Putting grommets in wiper motor:

Funkmaster Z, doing what he does best, show off and subsequently tightening bolts on booster

AC/ heater installed:

Firewall mid-Saturday:

The plan now is to take off on Friday, get the front-end put back together and get it back on the ground so I can roll it.

Offline 79taman

• If it aint a TA it aint chit!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 12:22:08 AM »
very nice work, keep it up. what color black did you use on the fire wall? satin or flat?
Joey
Link to my project!

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 06:30:57 AM »
Thanks! It's the Eastwood semi-gloss Chassis Paint. It matches the semi-gloss powder-coated parts perfectly. The transmission tunnel and undercarraige I painted with Fast urethane bedliner. Hoping to make serious progress today...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:33:47 AM by rpguitarrepair »

Offline UnderDog403

• Phil 4:13
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »
Wow! amazing job! Call me if you ever need any help, I'm in Winder.
NOT INVESTMENTS.
1977 Trans Am hardtop 400 auto
1979 Trans Am T-top 403
1997 Trans Am M6

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 06:35:18 AM »
Got a few more things done yesterday, though they took longer than anticipated. Didn't get it on the ground, but hope to today.

Powdercoated control arms:

Driver's side:

New brake shields:

I did get the steering linkage and steering box installed but was running late. More to come...

Offline 79taman

• If it aint a TA it aint chit!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 01:53:31 PM »
QUESTION: When you removed the coil springs did you find a round rubber boot and the top and bottom of the spring??? mine only had them at the top of the coil springs and it has left me wondering if my car ever had any to begin with.
Joey
Link to my project!

Offline rpguitarrepair

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 02:00:06 PM »
There was a very thin rubber spring isolator on wire-tied to the top of the springs. A lot of folks say that you need them to cut down on vibration, but I've never been able to tell much of a difference. I think the reason is that my front end was so shot-out, that when I rebuilt it, it rode so nice I didn't miss the isolators. I guess it's personal preference.

I even ordered a set of spring isolators from Summit, but they were 1/4" thick... after finally getting the stance right on my car, I wasn't going to jack up the front 1/4" for something I didn't feel I needed.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
1979 Trans Am Coupe Rebuild
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 04:06:27 PM »
The isolators are just to prevent metal on metal contact, so you don't get the squeaking that you can get from dry metal on each other
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....