Author Topic: Build Sheet?  (Read 10106 times)

Offline Mayan78

Re: Build Sheet?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2009, 11:39:38 PM »
Mine was between the foam and the springs as well. This confuses me. Wouldn't the seat back have been installed as a completed piece coming from a supplier or at least another department off the line?

Why bother fishing it through the wires and the foam?

Any old line workers out there?

Offline stephendsp

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2009, 01:03:05 AM »
I did a bone head move, and thought the one under the seat was just a pice of paper from the previous owner, and yep, u know it, i tossed it. It still isnt burnt, but possibly under snow. So i am going to try to find it. I DID however find the one on top of the gas tank, and all but the upper right hand corner is intact, but the bottom is hard to read, i do though have all the info in the middle, and other places. hope i can find the other as it was in mint shape. start throwing things at me now...

Offline Helter80

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2009, 01:41:41 AM »
I did a bone head move, and thought the one under the seat was just a pice of paper from the previous owner, and yep, u know it, i tossed it. It still isnt burnt, but possibly under snow. So i am going to try to find it. I DID however find the one on top of the gas tank, and all but the upper right hand corner is intact, but the bottom is hard to read, i do though have all the info in the middle, and other places. hope i can find the other as it was in mint shape. start throwing things at me now...

lookout, here comes a brick!  LOL  haha  j/k
www.transamplus.com
Rob

79 Trans Am- Nocturne Blue,T-Tops,403,Camel Tan Deluxe Interior

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2009, 12:28:32 PM »
When you took delivery of the car, did  you ask about a build sheet?  When the cars were new- a build sheet wasn't important.  So if it got pitched, who threw a fit?  It's only in the last few years that build sheets have gained such notoriety.

No, I didn't ask about it when I took delivery, but then on the other hand I was slack-jawed at finally having my own brand-new TA.  The salesman even did the obligatory walk-thru of all the "features", none of which registered on me because I was in awe of the new car smell and the bold dark blue color.  My first return to reality was when I realized, as I pulled off the dealer's lot, that the gas tank had less than 1/4 in it and I had 30 miles to drive to get it home.  Unleaded fuel was new in those days and not every station had it yet.

But I was aware of what the build sheet was, as I had them for earlier cars I'd driven.  I have the one for my 66 Chevy Impala somewhere.  Although I didn't know what all the codes were I realized it was an important part of the car's history, and I figured I'd find it someplace when I got around to looking for it.  I even managed to save most of the original new car sticker from the passenger's window when I removed it, which was shortly after I got the car because it was tough to drive with that covering up a good part of your viewing angle from that side.

The closest I have to my own build sheet is a copy of my buddy's build sheet.  His car was ordered at the same time as my car, but from a dealership in Illinois instead of Indianapolis.  The cars were identical except that his car was silver/black with the charcoal hood bird and he had an AM/FM stereo in his, whereas my was a "no bird on the hood" car and a radio delete.  Otherwise, they were identical -- deluxe interior, rear window defogger, AC, Rally II wheels with full-size spare tire.  He found his build sheet under the rear seat cushion -- it wasn't even wrinkled. ::)

Offline T/A Tommy

• T/A
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2009, 01:26:16 PM »
Is it true that the build sheets were never intended to end up in the cars?  According to an article I read, the build sheets were only for auto workers to verify equipment that went into the vehicle.  They were told to throw them out.  Instead they left us a piece of history, if you are lucky enough to have one.  They also left plenty of extra parts in the cars that I have worked on.  Extra side marker bezels, screws, bolts.

Tommy

1978 L78 Y88 Gold Edition
1978 L80 Y88 Gold Edition

Offline Tinman5

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 02:37:42 AM »
Sigh...one of the first things I do after buying a car is look for the build sheet under the rear seat cushions.  All I've found to date is loose change, petrified french fries, ticket stubs from a Doobie Brothers concert, and some Zig Zag papers... ::)

Tinman5
"If you don't make dust, you eat dust."

1939 Silver Streak (street rod)
1973 Trans Am
1974 Grand Am
1976 Trans Am (50th Anniversary, 400ci/350 auto)
1979 Trans Am (10th Anniversary, 400ci/four speed)

Offline Rarebird

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 03:15:24 AM »
Sigh...one of the first things I do after buying a car is look for the build sheet under the rear seat cushions.  All I've found to date is loose change, petrified french fries, ticket stubs from a Doobie Brothers concert, and some Zig Zag papers... ::)

Tinman5

Got a few up on you Tinman...
   Crusty baby pacifier
   teething ring
   4 drivers liscence ( same girl from 2 to 8 months apart from each other)
   female under garments
   2 male class rings ( differant names and schools but lacated closely in south west part of Va)
   countless SUN COUNTRY wine cooler caps

this was all in a car I bought at an dealers auction... 300 for the car but took about 100 to clean it... definately a party girl car
Virgil...
1978 W72 w/M21 T/A   

Offline Tinman5

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 08:55:15 AM »

Got a few up on you Tinman...
   Crusty baby pacifier
   teething ring
   4 drivers liscence ( same girl from 2 to 8 months apart from each other)
   female under garments
   2 male class rings ( differant names and schools but lacated closely in south west part of Va)
   countless SUN COUNTRY wine cooler caps

this was all in a car I bought at an dealers auction... 300 for the car but took about 100 to clean it... definately a party girl car

Virgil--

Woof.  I've also found a pair of "unmentionables" of the female under garment variety and I can actually understand everything on your list being found under the backseat except the multiple copies of the driver's license from the same person.

Makes you wonder how many times she had to prove how old she was... ::)

Tinman5
"If you don't make dust, you eat dust."

1939 Silver Streak (street rod)
1973 Trans Am
1974 Grand Am
1976 Trans Am (50th Anniversary, 400ci/350 auto)
1979 Trans Am (10th Anniversary, 400ci/four speed)