Author Topic: AC conversion  (Read 521 times)

Offline Damon23

AC conversion
« on: April 24, 2011, 06:59:30 PM »
I would like to get the a/c in my 78 working again. Assuming all is good with it seeing it has new lines on it, what have you all done? I've seen the conversion kits where you put on a new fitting and fill it full of new stuff but it cant be that easy. I've been told to buy a new dryer as well. I was thinking of buying one of those kits just to put some freon in it to see if the compressor kicks on and if the system blows cool. After that then throw money at it.
1978 L78 Auto Y88 Numbers Matching

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: AC conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 10:20:50 PM »
The compressor doesn't kick on, it simply locks up the hub or unlocks, that's the easy part to test but doesn't tell you much about the internals. If all original parts are still there, brackets, wiring etc then get the serviceable parts and hoses/o-rings/drier to suit any refrigerant replaced and go from there, they'll soon be able to tell if the compressor needs a kit through it, usually cheaper to get a rebuilt one off the shelf, bolt on and call it good.

Any hard lines still on the car will need flushing completely from years of moisture and contaminants or compressor will be stuffed first go, don't try testing compressor without having them cleaned first. You will also need to replace the orifice tube, they set in the gunk in the tube and become brittle being 30 year old plastic and seals.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 10:22:40 PM by Aus78Formula »