Author Topic: 80 wiring issues  (Read 1195 times)

Offline 80firebird80

80 wiring issues
« on: July 24, 2017, 09:36:03 PM »
I'm having some wiring issues. Back story.
I did the idiot light to rally gauges conversion. 1980 Espirit. To 78 2nd design gauges. I have everything working beside oil gauge. My car came with a 2 wire oil dummy light sender and then another blue wire off that. Cant get oil gauge to work. That's problem one.

Second problem and the one I'm more worried about is my brake lights only light up on the passenger side, left turn signal stays solid on dash and both front and rear. Right lights up front and back but not on dash, hazards work but no right light on dash.
I thought I had the issue fixed and all lights were working properly( found a bad wire on front right turn signal)
I put in a new headlight switch( old one wouldn't dim) new circuit board for gauges( prongs were all messed up) and a brake light switch ( broken plastic housing) and now the problem returned. I don't know where to start on this, any help is appreciated! Thanks

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
Re: 80 wiring issues
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 07:57:21 PM »
I had the same problem with the turn light, for me it was a randomly disconnecting front side turn light, the harness got toasty and was making crunching sounds at the pigtail, guessing it got too hot and aged over the years. A bad bulb in the front can cause this as well. It could be the pins are wrong, is your cluster  2nd design the one with the new quartz clock? If so I have the pin out in a spreadsheet, it's the same as 1979.

The oil sender is different, it is one wire, not 2. I think the diummy sender is 2 wire as it relies on current flowing through it when no pressure and switches off when there is pressure to light up bulb. The oil gauge uses resistance to display a sweep of measurement, which requires a different sender. It grounds to the engine so when you swap the senders be light in any sealant as the sealant could effect the ground if used too heavily. Remember avoid teflon tape when oil is involved, if pieces get into the engine I can clog things which is bad. I got a new sender it already had thread sealant so I just screwed in and didn't think too much else about it. Get a sender for 78/79, I think 80/81 used a slightly different sweep, not 100% sure in the oil gauge. I do know temperature gauge sender dramatically changed the ohm sweep between 79 and 80/81 so do not freak if your temp does not read right. The factory temp gauge is not accurate anyway. It is consistently inaccurate at lease. Explains why cars now days just show a sweep without temperature numbers. :)
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.