Author Topic: wire not connected to anything  (Read 1437 times)

Offline pete315

wire not connected to anything
« on: July 27, 2016, 02:25:37 PM »
Just got a 79 Trans Am 301 engine. Looks like nothing really messed up under the hood. I have a wire I'm guessing related to A/C system not connected to anything. Wire has plug on the end. There is a 2 wire plug that gets plugged into a/c compressor cut off solenoid when full throttle is applied. I blue wire goes to compressor, the other green wire goes into a 2 wire plug connection which splices into the main harness toward rear of engine. It's the other green wire coming out of this connection by a/c compressor that's not connected. So one of these wires goes to that solenoid, what does other wire get connected to? It looks about same length as wire going to that solenoid. Thanks for any help.

Offline pete315

Re: wire not connected to anything
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 06:27:35 PM »
After a little research, it could be for an idle stop solenoid which my 301 doesn't have. Don't know if it's missing or my engine never came with one.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 10:02:15 PM »
I replied to this, but it hasn't appeared.
If your car had A/C then it should have been there. 35 years on that could be any reason why, carb swapped to one with wrong mount, solenoid stopped working and never replaced, A/C disconnected and also removed to stop idle issues.

Offline pete315

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 01:43:39 PM »
You may be right. With hvac in off position, wire has no power. If I move selector to a/c, vent or defrost I get power to that wire. No power in heater position. The vent position is weird that I get power. I'm guessing a solenoid raises the idle with A/C and defrost on. 

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 08:18:20 PM »
That's exactly what it did.