Author Topic: Stroker 400 Build  (Read 3526 times)

Offline TransAm_Stan

Stroker 400 Build
« on: July 20, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »
Hey there peeps!

I have decided to build a Pontiac 400 based stroker motor from a 481988 YX block.

These posts will give you (and me) a detailed description of what goes into building such a critter.  I will be not only giving a why I did this explanation, but a running total on what this build costs. 

I have built one other motor, a 400 Pontiac & in the end I am not happy with the power output.  Do I need more?  No. Do I want more? Of course!  More is better, so I have heard. I need to put the "muscle" in muscle car.

I have a 5 speed with a wet clutch to back up this motor.  I haven't installed it because I was not really happy with the motor I built. Instead of breathing on that motor (557 block), I decided to start from scratch.

Hopefully the end result is a motor with 500 HP & 500 torque.  I am not looking for a high revving powerband.  I need it just off idle to say, 4K rpm. Of course I am not saying I don't want it to rev. But what I am saying is that in the end result I want a low to mid motor with some top end over run.  I hope this is possible. Car will not see the track, just a very well behaved street motor that can hold its own if & when the getting gets tuff & the tuff has to perform.

Feel free to comment on anything you see me planning on or what I am planning in the present or  near future. I freely admit to not knowing what the hell I am doing here.  I am way out of my comfort zone. I built my first motor with help from this forum, Rocky Rotella's "How to build Pontiac V-8's"  & Jim out of Va. He gave me what I asked for.  Too bad I didn't know what I wanted at the time.  Not his fault.  Mine. I never fondled, worked on drove a powerful V-8.  I thought that build would be enough.  Obviously not.

Stay Tuned. As far as I am concerned, I am about to spend a pile of coin.

Stan

here is a pic at what is coming out.

And what is going in.

EXPENSES

A. Fixed       250.00
B. Variable  150.00

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:05:51 PM by TransAm_Stan »
76 White w blue int. 400 4sp. "Toastee"

76 white with blue/white interior. 400 4 sp.(ongoing project)

Offline TransAm_Stan

Re: Stroker 400 Build
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 06:28:30 PM »
I have been trying to wrap my head around the major pieces for this build.  Peeps say to build a solid bottom end, then build the motor around the head selection.  Seems reasonable on paper...

The bottom end was fairly easy for me.

Butler Racing    EAG-B52410030       For 400-428-455 Blocks     $1548.95   

New Crank 4.250" Stroke
    3.00" or 3.250" Main for 400-428-455 Blocks
    Mahle Forged Pistons (coated) – Flat Top
    6.800” Forged I-Beam 5140 Rods
    Pin Fitted
    Mahle File Fit Ring Set, Moly Coated
    C-77 P series Rod and Main Bearings
    Balanced Internally (by B.P.)

Description

461 cu in Eagle Pontiac Rotating Assembly w/ 4.250 Stroke X 3.00”/400 Main Cast Crank, 4.155” Mahle Forged Pistons w/ 6.800 I-Beam 5140 Forged Eagle Rods- Balanced
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My biggest decision is the heads.  For the price of a ported set of good heads, a few dollars more will get me into Aluminum head territory.

Kaufman or Edelbrock D-port heads.  They seem to be the major players.

From what I have read there are die hard fans of both.  These fans will  defend their brand to the death.  I have read a lot online recently. Seems like the Kaufman (KRE) heads do not meet the numbers out of the box that the Edelbrock (E-head) D heads do.  The KRE's have a better combustion chamber design. the E-heads are copied after a good old design by Pontiac.  I dono...  Right now I do not want port work.  I think, from what I have read that 500 hp is achievable with stock alum heads. But, as I just found out,  for a couple extra bux I can have ported E-heads.

Right now I am going with Edelbrock D-Port heads....(72cc ?? this needs researched!)  I reserve the right to change my mind though!

Butler Racing   BPI-EDL-72CC-DPORT   $2595.00
72cc Ported Heads with Ferrea Valves, 10degree Retainers & Locks, ARP 7/16 Studs, Hyd, Hyd Roller or Solid Springs 290-300 CFM @28" (220 Exhaust)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roller rockers & lifters hopefully will be in the budget.  Right now looking at Comp Cam.

I haven't bought anything yet as I am going to call around & see if I can find a competent machine shop locally that is familiar with Pontiacs.  My local machine shop closed down last year.  I have to look at other shops, which I am not looking forward to.

This block I am tearing down is fighting me every step of the way.   Grrrrrrrrrrr....

All for now.

Projected cost on above:   4143.95   Yikes! 

EXPENSES
A. Fixed       250.00
B. Variable  150.00

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:41:29 PM by TransAm_Stan »

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 06:49:39 PM »
I thought I would explain how I am noting my expenses.

Projected cost on above:   4143.95   Yikes! = This will be the projected cost of whatever is in the current post only.  Money not spent.

EXPENSES
A. Fixed       250.00    =   This is money spent. 
B. Variable  150.00   This is also money spent.  But I have included this because this figure will be different for each person.  This figure includes fuel for parts pick up if far away.  Shipping of parts from various vendors.  Figures that will be a variable depending on where U live & how you roll.

Offline RRR76TA

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 07:13:51 PM »
I'll keep an eye on this post thanks

Offline TAKID455

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 09:42:47 PM »
a KRE fan myself.

go with the 310 cfm port flow
2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 06:55:14 PM »
Block went to local shop for cleaning & pressure test.  Then if all goes well, I will take it to a shop hours away from me.

Additionally...

I met a gent the other day who has me thinking of a much different path for power.  Could be a game changer.

More research is needed on this subject.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »
Don Johnston (DCI Motorsports) has a new ram air five head. It requires a custom intake and exhaust headers that will clearance a firebird hood, that would take your build to another level. http://www.dcimotorsports.com/products/ram-air-five-heads/ 380cfm as cast, and you can have the combustion chamber design of your choice. This is the same engine builder who created the Tiger head a few years back. He is in Northeast Ohio.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline T/A Addict

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 01:23:46 PM »
Block went to local shop for cleaning & pressure test.  Then if all goes well, I will take it to a shop hours away from me.

Additionally...

I met a gent the other day who has me thinking of a much different path for power.  Could be a game changer.

More research is needed on this subject.

Uh Oh.... Game changer...... Can't wait to hear the thoughts
Jeff
2016 Victory Cross Country
2010 PCP Dodge Challenger
79 TATA
79 T/A Auto Solar Gold
69 Firebird

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 02:53:34 PM »
I like the game changer!
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline TransAm_Stan

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 02:27:29 PM »
There has been a change of plans.

Some will say I have gone to the dark side for propulsion & chastise me for my choice.  So be it, I have thick skin.

LS3 crate motor was picked up today.

This will be my build thread.

http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=66251.0

Hope some of you will drop in time to time & offer words of wisdom.

The reason I went to TAC was they have a place that is dedicated to LSX powerplants. AS far as I know 78TA does not.

Stan

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 03:48:10 PM »
does the block you use, have 2 bolt mains? If so , how much power will it withstand with 2 bolt mains compared to 4 bolt?
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones