Author Topic: Bought My First 'Bird..(78)  (Read 723 times)

Offline Rapp16

Bought My First 'Bird..(78)
« on: November 17, 2010, 10:34:10 AM »
Hi all,
I'm fairly new to the site and have been looking around a little and it's amazing how much you guys know about all years of T/A. I purchased a '78 T/A last summer from one of my football coaches (I'm still in high school). I got it SUPER cheap. I was originally going to get it for a thousand dollars but then to my disappointment, when I tore into the engine I found rust. Lots of it. From the intake manifold to the oil pan  :-[
I was really hoping the car would turn over and start when i got it. I love Trans Ams, my dad had numerous T/As and I was supposed to inherit a T/A drag car this year but unfortunately he passed away when I was younger and the car was sold off. So I'm doing my best to resurrect the family tradition and get this car up and running.
Anyways.. The body is pretty much shot. Not much metal that doesn't have some form of rust. The quarters are rusted through as well as both doors, front fenders and the floor pans. But, on the bright side of things the hood, front nose piece, and trunk pan are all in really good shape. I'm really only holding on to the bird in the hope of future restoration because I have a gut feeling that the car has to be some form of a rarity. The car was an original 400 c.i. with 4 speed, t-tops (fisher i think..), black exterior, and red cloth interior. I was hoping you guys could tell me if I was right or wrong and could steer my in the direction of a build sheet. I found the original underneath the rear seat but unfortunately the rodents had found it first and made a home for themselves some time during the 18 years it sat (approximately 10 of them outside..)
Any information or help you could offer me would be great. I'm always looking for restoration pieces or a parts car but things realistically need to be on the cheaper side. (Headed to college next fall and need to do my best to be frugal haha)
Thanks,
Derek
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:36:10 AM by Rapp16 »
1978 Trans Am - Red Cloth Interior, Black exterior accented by plenty of rust.

1995 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi- granny sleeper with a supercharger

Offline firebird79_00

Re: Bought My First 'Bird..(78)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:42:28 PM »
welcome, where are you from? Post up some pictures. You should be able to locate the 2nd build sheet on top of the gas tank as long as no one has already gotten to it.
1977 Firebird Clone
6.6L.....soon

Offline Rapp16

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 02:43:36 PM »
I live in central Illinois. About a half an hour away from springfield. I'll do my best to get some pictures up sometime soon this week. And if I can get the car in the garage before the weather gets bad.. I'll drop the tank and take a look.

Offline Rapp16

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 03:28:08 PM »