Author Topic: who is build a bandit and were to buy a 79 trans am from?  (Read 13804 times)

Offline jgodar

• Build A Bandit Survivor..kinda
Re: who is build a bandit and were to buy a 79 trans am from?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 04:53:48 PM »
4SPEED... Greenville OH?? I have a place in Bainbridge OH... small world, cabin and Hunting land.. getting ready to head there soon...

I am REALLY leaning towards the 4 speed.. a little extra but I want to drive the car for fun and use to have a 2 speed Z28 ('79) and loved it.. so I think I will go that route .... I think the little extra work is fun! Get to "feel" the car!
Maybe can meet you at the DQ in Bainbridge for a TA rally when it is done!!

Thanks for the feedback,..

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 05:03:27 PM »
Im about 250mi from Bainbridge.  Im just north west of Dayton

your up there where there is alot of 78ta members live and the ohio firebirds.

check out  www.Ohiofirebirds.com   
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 05:16:10 PM »
the 4sp is the only way to go...BTW whats a 2 speed Z28?
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline jgodar

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 05:18:22 PM »
I was thinking GREENFIELD... sorry about that.. but still only about 115 by Google maps... Bainbridge is in between Hillsboro and Chillicothe Ohio... I live in Cincinnati.. so not too far from you..

I will check out the OHIOFIREBIRDS.COM site... good to know! THANKS!

The 2 speed z28 is me typing too fast and not looking... 4 speed of course!

Offline Pillsnick7

• '75 Firebird Formula 455SD, next...TBD
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 12:14:29 AM »
I have also signed a contract with BAB, visited their facility, spoke to them numberous times in person, over the phone and thru email and they are all very receptive to my questions, concerns, requests on info, and my inquiries to their bad press on the internet.  I must say there was some scepticism about their integrity before I visited their site earlier this month, but since my visit, I am completely confident on their intentions, and that they will deliver what I expect.  The only problem may be their timing, but I have been told up front a few times now that their timeline is a bit delayed, due to the condition of the cars they have coming in to work with.  When I signed the contract, they told me periodic updates on progress, and pictures would be sent to all customers, and they have held true to this thus far.  Not only did I get several pictures, but they also sent a video clip of a finished TA.  During my visit, they were very detailed, answered all of my questions, let me get a hands-on approach with their finishing workshop, and I spoke with one of their detailers at the shop at that time.  In my line of work, speaking to the individuals that perform those tasks day in/day out are the ones that have the real information.  Anyway, I wanted to support jgodar's positive outlook approach as I am a satisfied customer thus far.  Please feel free to contact me with questions.  Thanks. 
Thanks,

Tanner

Offline jgodar

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 10:24:54 AM »
Pillsnick7, great to hear your story too!!

I have looked around even more than I did before. I am confident that Build A Bandit simply does not have a strong internet presence. They are a car shop in the hills of NC... I was not surprised that they are not web site experts..they build cars!  Their website is not the greatest and Bob did mention they are improving it..

My business is vacation rentals online. We we are TOTALLY vested in web sites and online reviews. I think BAB is just not in this world yet.

So when they do have one upset customer, for what ever reason, they jump online and blast them. And there is no one else here to say differently. So the negative posts, maybe one a year, is understandable if BAB does not have a strong online presence. I did find it comforting that I believe every neg post has ended with the client getting their money back. If this was close to being a scam, why would they return money to clients??

That is kinda why I felt obligated to start posting. I checked them out as much as possible. I know what I am buying. It is not a $35,000 build.. I know that.. I am not a car expert.. maybe one day I will take the jump to a real original or do an off frame, but I am starting with BAB and I just want a nice car to drive on the weekends...

I did speak to BAB and told them I will be honest here too.. if my deal goes bad, I may be the worst nightmare they have, an interent savvy person posting everywhere. But I am confident that will not happen!

I am very excited about my build and would love to hear more about yours too! I was at the finish shop on OCT 2.. was your car there? There were 2 black 78's about ready to be done.. they looked great.. sounded good too!

I am waiting for some photos to post as mine gets started. If you have any pics, I would love to see them!! Let's stay in touch!

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 11:15:43 AM »
when i first learned of this outfit i thought, like you, that it was a place to get a decent looking driver quality car to cruise on weekends. it was only after further investigation by members here that the horror stories surfaced. good luck to you and buyer beware.
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline jgodar

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 11:32:37 AM »
Jeff,

Thanks for the concern! I hope to be posting some positive results!! Time will tell....

Joe

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline Pillsnick7

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 01:58:15 AM »
Yes, it is actually.  That is how I got word of them to begin with.  Note - All positive feedback.  I have seen auctions for 79 TAs as well. 
Thanks,

Tanner

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 08:24:43 AM »
That's funny.  Most of the feedback left is from people who "can't wait for their car to be built."   So they leave positive feedback before they even have anything.   

Offline Pillsnick7

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 09:37:06 AM »
Agreed, but there are a few that have already received their cars.  The others, I have started to contact thru ebay to see if I can get personal testimonials from them.  We'll see if I get any bites.    :D 
Thanks,

Tanner

Offline Pillsnick7

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 09:41:09 AM »
Wait.....you guys have internet in KY???   

j/k
 ;D
Thanks,

Tanner

Offline jgodar

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 10:16:28 AM »
I was upfront in telling everyone I do not have the car yet!! But after doing everything I could to research Build A Bandit, I did place the order. I know I have a long way to go! I thought it would be fun and help me pass the time of waiting on the build to participate here.. Then "pillsnick7" found me here too..We both took the same route on looking for a nice driver and ended up at Build A Bandit..

So now we wait! I enjoy this board and hope to contribute on how this process goes.. the best thing about places like this forum is getting real life experiences so everyone knows...SO I like there are 2 customers here willing to spell it out and give everyone an honest opinion on how our builds go!! Stay tuned!

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 10:19:15 PM »
sorry if this has already been answered but, how much is down payment and what does that get you?
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff