Author Topic: who is build a bandit and were to buy a 79 trans am from?  (Read 13802 times)

Offline Pillsnick7

• '75 Firebird Formula 455SD, next...TBD
Re: who is build a bandit and were to buy a 79 trans am from?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 12:10:26 AM »
I could spell it all out for you, but the best source for information is their website at www.buildabandit.com.  It has prices, available options, pictures of past builds, contact info etc.  Keep in mind that it is a website developed by their own crew, but for an amateur website creator, it works.  Take a look, if you have additional questions, I will be happy to answer them. 
Thanks,

Tanner

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 01:05:13 AM »
i ask because (as stated earlier) most shops have you pay when car is delivered. then you have some recourse if not satisfied
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline Pillsnick7

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 01:18:09 AM »
Gotcha, with BAB you either pay up front, or do a payment plan.
Thanks,

Tanner

Offline bobg

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 08:29:52 AM »
Ok I usually don't post on these types of threads without having dealt with the company being discussed.I will say that I have heard many negative posts from different people about this company. Hopefully that is not the case for you guys and everything goes smoothly.I will also say that I personally would not go by the "positive" ebay feedback to determine if they are good) If you look at their feed back since Jan. 07  you will see that 108 of the positive feedback was to them as being a buyer on ebay., and only 14 positive feedback as them being a seller.Since Jan of this year they have had 5 positive feedback with 3 of them clearly stating that the cars weren't built yet.I would also like to note that ebay positive feedback can easily be faked by any seller with a small amount of effort using friends accounts or bogus ID's.Hopefully you are or were able to speak to actual customers to get honest reviews.I know it was stated that some customers who were unhappy did get their money back, but I am curious how much of an effort did it take to get their money and how long did it take?Like I said I have had no direct dealings with this company and can't tell you how your cars will turn out one way or the other.I am merely stating to due your due diligence before doing business with any company. I wish you the best and hopefully your cars meet your expectations.On a final note, any business owner can know what to say or show you and be as helpful as possible to make you feel comfortable to do business with them.But remember that people may not always be as they portray themselves.One past forum member I won't mention comes to mind that is doing jail time for what he was into and what he did to his customers.It sound as if you guys are comfortable with using this company and I wish you the best and look forward to hearing about your unbiased experiences.
79  TATA 400 W72 4spd
79 gold 400 4spd w72 T top
74 superduty 455 4spd
70 Trans am Ram air 4speed

Offline Pillsnick7

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 10:17:10 AM »
Thanks for your post.  I hear you loud and clear and thanks for your support.  I am cautiously optimistic as I have done my homework enough to feel comfortable with my deal.  I know member jgodar was more intense with his inquiries before buying from them as well.  I encourage anyone that has dealt with build a bandit to post here and or contact me please.  I do want to hear from more people as current or past customers of build a bandit.
Thanks,

Tanner

Offline jgodar

• Build A Bandit Survivor..kinda
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 11:21:54 AM »
Build A Bandit and Bob work with you on this.. them basically give 2 options. You can select to make partial payments as the build progresses. Like half down and break up the balance with several other payments at points of completion. Or you can pay upfront and they offer a large discount of course to do that.

The price seems to depend on of course what you want in the car. The prices start at about what the ebay auctions go for.. $14-$15,000. Then add your options. They are telling us they have to raise prices soon as cars and parts are getting harder to find and cost them more..

Offline Squirrel

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Dan
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »
where at in cincy are you joe, i live in norwood just north of downtown cincy, i have 3 birds.
1978 Chesterfield Brown TA
1977 Camaro 4 speed with t tops
1977 Mustang Cobra II

Offline jgodar

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2011, 11:33:43 AM »
LOL... Now I see more post!!! I too read everything out there. It is why I joined this board too.. great feedback.. but I do understand good and bad feedback online.
It has it's place but you also have to do your own research. I also think most happy clients of any business do not have the motivation that unhappy clients have. I too want as much information on Build a Bandit or Discount Automotive Restoration, as possible.

I also value the opinons here and look forward to learning more. I know "Pillsnick" and I hope to contribute here and give you all an honest review from start to finish! That is the best info we can provide!

I can say one thing, when I contacted many other shops, I had a hard time getting anyone to return my calls. When I did speak to someone, they seemed kinda interested in doing business, but never followed up. I was ready to buy and was motivated.. Other shops did give me the same payment options. Some wanted me to buy the car as is now and then pay as I go for the work.. kinda the same process as BAB. But they did seem to have a higher cost and a true off frame build.. So i get the higher prices..

It would be nice if any business would return calls or emails especially in this economy. Just saying...

Offline jgodar

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 11:35:50 AM »
Squirrel,

I am in CLEVES on the west side! Small world.. Great looking cars! Love to meet up some time once I have one!! LOL

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2011, 02:54:36 PM »
im sure youve read this, but just in case. some good info
http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=15502.0
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline jgodar

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2011, 04:01:24 PM »
Yep.. saw that one too..thanks,, There really isn't any good post on here! The comments are mostly about BAB lack of info or way of promoting the builds. I know their web site and marketing are not stellar. That is one reason I went to see them in person. I build web sites..I do not build cars...I probably would build a car about the same way they build a web site! LOL....I put most of my stock in the phone calls I had with people that built with them and are past clients..

Offline Pillsnick7

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2011, 04:13:05 PM »
Hada76, That is one of the first, and few pieces of information that we can find about these guys on the internet.  That's one of the reasons we have reached out to others for their feedback, testimonials, etc.  One thing that gets me is that most of the blogs about BAB are old.  Such as the one hada76 is referencing, its from 2009.  I want to see more dialogue, and some more recent.  There just isn't much out there.  Thanks for pointing out that post hada76.

I agree with jgodar on both the website comments and the stock I have in those that I have met from BAB in person, and the phone calls, emails, etc that I have received. 

I reached out to one of their ebay feedback persons and they gave me good vibes on their business with BAB.   Nice to hear. 
Thanks,

Tanner

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2011, 01:03:52 AM »
heres more info from another site      (thx 4 speed)
http://allgentransams.com/forum/index.php?topic=2615.0

BTW the post i started in '09 goes on until mid '11
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 01:13:42 AM by hada76 »
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2011, 04:40:50 PM »
Hada76, That is one of the first, and few pieces of information that we can find about these guys on the internet.  That's one of the reasons we have reached out to others for their feedback, testimonials, etc.  One thing that gets me is that most of the blogs about BAB are old.  Such as the one hada76 is referencing, its from 2009.  I want to see more dialogue, and some more recent.  There just isn't much out there.  Thanks for pointing out that post hada76.

I agree with jgodar on both the website comments and the stock I have in those that I have met from BAB in person, and the phone calls, emails, etc that I have received. 

I reached out to one of their ebay feedback persons and they gave me good vibes on their business with BAB.   Nice to hear. 

Reason: Once you see that kind of feedback, most guys here steer far clear.

I wish you all the luck with your build and hopefully it turns out better than the feedback we've seen.

I've been the body shop route 3x - got burned 2x so if you eventually need an ear to bend, feel free to PM me. **First shop took me for over $40k and I got a partially assembled car, missing parts, and was informed I had no idea what I was doing from the shop owner for my troubles.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline mastiso77

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 03:57:17 AM »
I'm glad the both of you decided to share your experience with BAB with us.  Hopefully it will help others who are on the fence about BAB.  From your posts it also shows the amount of time you both spent researching this restoration shop.  I hope to read that your results ended in your complete satisfaction.

Have you thought about having someone with extensive knowledge and backround take a look at the different cars that are in various stages of restoration in person?  They would be able to see things that you or I wouldn't even know to look for.  Things like:

Paint imperfections
rust repair
panel replacement and alignment
weld quality
type of materials used
is the suspension and drive train up to par
overall quality and so on....

Once again I thank you both for sharing your experience with us.
77 W72 TA
66 IMPALA SS 327
87 OLDS CUTLASS SUPREME
92 GMC 1500 383