Author Topic: 1976 Trans Am engine wiring help  (Read 1707 times)

Offline 76T/AFLY

1976 Trans Am engine wiring help
« on: June 20, 2011, 01:12:34 PM »
Hi all, I'm replacing the engine harness in my 76 400 auto with air. I'm piecing this car back together and my engine control harness is fine now, but the power supply to the AC harness (large red/ brown) has to be added. This is my problem, I know where to reconnect the red, but the brown wire was cut and taped up into the old harness, I also don't have the wiring yet to the compressor. Does anyone know where the brown wire is supposed to go? I have Chilton's and Haynes but neither one shows this wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Re: 1976 Trans Am engine wiring help
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 01:39:01 PM »
IF I recall correctly, that goes into your AC harness from the dash and isn't part of either the engine harness OR the forward light harness. If you're missing the harness or pieces of it, you might want to get into contact with M&H Wiring Harnesses - they were simply plug and play. I replaced everything underhood with their harnesses.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline 76T/AFLY

Re: 1976 Trans Am engine wiring help
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 04:22:48 AM »
Thank you, it does plug into the A/C harness. The large red wire goes to main power which connects right at the alternator. The harness is a 7 pin at the firewall coming in to the fuse panel same as my new one. My problem is where does the brown wire go?