Author Topic: Steering Column Help  (Read 2983 times)

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
Steering Column Help
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:07:49 PM »
Hey guys since I got back home from school the other day I started trying to finish some projects that I had halfway done before I had to stop for school. I finally got my old turn signal switch removed which was difficult because I had to pull like crazy to get the connector through the column. I'm working on putting the new one on, but I don't know how the heck to feed the connector through the column without messing it up somehow. Am I missing something? Does the outer part of the column come apart somehow and I'm just missing it? I paid $40 for the new switch and I don't want to screw it up somehow. I have the lockplate and everything removed all the way down to the 'core' of the column with some gear looking thing still in the center, but there's just no room to feed that connector through..

Also, I'm having issues with removing the second bolt for the dimmer switch on the floor. I got the first, but the second will NOT come out, it just spins and spins but won't let go. How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Kevin
1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: Steering Column Help
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:55:08 AM »
Did you remove the plastic sheath that protects the wires?  You need to remove the bracket to get to it.....I'm recalling from memory though so you'd better look at it.  The plastic sheath fits into some slots that hold it in place.  Remove that and carefully fish the wires up.  To reinstall, simply run a piece of wire down and tape the connector for the switch to it and pull it through.  Replace the sheath and bracket and you're all set.

I've always done this with the column out of the car which makes it easier, but you should have no problem with the column still installed in the car.  Just be patient.  You don't need to use force.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 02:03:47 PM »
Ok, I'll give it a try. I'm just scared that I'm gonna break the connector because the slot it has to travel through is so small. I'm afraid the wires are going to crease somehow too. I'm gonna try it now. Thanks bud.

Kevin

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 02:17:58 PM »
You need to find the sweet spot where it comes through without effort.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »
You need to find the sweet spot where it comes through without effort.

Got it in dude, thanks!

Gotta figure out how to put the cancelling cam in. I need a good diagram that the service manual cd doesn't have for this particular 'procedure'. If you have any good pictures, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Kevin

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 05:20:55 PM »
That guy did a great column rebuild.  It looks better than new.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 05:59:09 PM »
Found this on Nasty Z28

Is the canceling cam piece I bought the white part thats hooked up to the signal switch? I bought a new turn signal switch and it came with that white piece that I think I bought separately with it. Also how does the brass edged piece with the plastic tube fit in all this?

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 03:04:58 PM »
Just broke the snap ring trying to use two pliers to get the dumb POS back on! How do you get the snap ring back on? That "Awesome Guide" Doesn't tell you at all, and I am starting to get really frustrated with this thing.

Where can I get a new snap ring for the steering wheel?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:16:43 PM by Kevin »

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 04:11:39 PM »
What snap ring?  Are you referring to the ring that holds the lock plate in place?  If that one, you slide that one down the shaft before you press the lock plate down with the lock plate tool.  With the lock plate depressed, you slide that ring the rest of the way until it seats in the groove.

I've forgotten if there's a snap ring before the hub nut, but they make a snap ring tool to get those off and on.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 04:21:24 PM »
Yeah it's the one that sits directly after the lock ring. I was trying to pry the ring apart enough so that I could slip it over at the point it needed to sit at, but now I know to slide it on. Where would I go about finding a new snap ring?

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 07:45:40 PM »
Don't feel bad.  They recommend you replace those every time you remove one.  I would think the dealer might have them but I've never replaced one.  If you get hard up, someone on this forum must have an extra one.

To remove them you can use an awl and a screwdriver and work your way around.  Same thing with installing it.  You slide it over the shaft before you screw the depressor tool on.  Depress the plate then work that ring back down the shaft to the groove that it locks into. 

You learn by doing and sometimes you do things incorrectly but you still learn for the experience.

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 03:42:54 PM »
Found it! Part number 5694191. That's it. Gonna call up dealerships and see if they have any so I dont have to wait to have it shipped.

They've got it at a dealership in Collierville, about 15 minutes from my house. Hell yeah.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:48:01 PM by Kevin »

Offline Kevin

• Adv. Member
  • Kevin
    • www.78ta.com
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 07:02:31 PM »
Tried to install the snap ring, guess what, the stupid thing won't keep the lock plate from shooting out at me. It doesn't do a damn thing. I'm ready for a professional to fix this thing.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 07:24:52 PM »
Are you depressing the lock plate correctly?  It needs to go past that groove.  Or, the ring is not correct.