Author Topic: 403 engine pull info  (Read 1026 times)

Offline MybirdIStheword

403 engine pull info
« on: May 17, 2017, 04:54:06 PM »
Hey all, work has been progressing for my car, I am doing an engine "overhaul" since the machinework is so darn expensive. I was wondering if I could get some help on the following topics:

I am almost ready to pull the engine. using a borrowed engine hoist, and all it came with was a chain with two links for bolts.

Should I use this? should I use ratchet straps around the whole thing instead? Should I just nut up and get ahold of a leveler?

Secondly, Would you recommend I keep the transmission attached? or drop the transmission through the bottom? This keeping in mind the attachment method previously.

Thanks.
Don't tell me you haven't heard. Everybody has.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: 403 engine pull info
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 07:05:12 PM »
I like to keep the trans attached, easier to maneuver it out and be  able to work on it too, than to attach under car. Be aware that with most hoists you'll likely need to take the front bumper off as the noses are so long.

Offline MybirdIStheword

Re: 403 engine pull info
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 03:02:12 AM »
Thanks, definitely had to take the front bumper off, still had barely enough room, put a small bend in my radiator shroud. was easier to get out with the transmission, but I may put them back in separately.

The harbor freight load leveler was a super huge help. it wouldn't fit 100% with the distributor on, but I managed to put one in an a/c bracket screw hole, no problems with weight.

Also dented my transmission dipstick tube. I was worried about doing that but it looked difficult to get off. A good FYI for anyone else trying this, but I am pretty sure I can fix it.
Don't tell me you haven't heard. Everybody has.