Author Topic: MANUAL TRANSMISSION  (Read 15414 times)

Offline Rob R.

MANUAL TRANSMISSION
« on: April 30, 2006, 09:50:02 AM »
HEY EVERYONE. I AM A NEW MEMBER AND RECENTLY PURCHASED A 78 T/A.  I HAVE A QUESTION REGARDING THE TRANSMISSION. THE CAR SHIFTS SMOOTHLY AND THE CLUTCH FEELS FINE HOWEVER, WHEN I DOWN SHIFT THERE IS A  NOISE OR VIBERATION THATS COMING FROM THE TRANSMISSION AREA. IT ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE GOING IN REVERSE WITH ANY MANUAL TRANSMISSION  AND YOU HEAR THAT WHINE BUT LOUDER. SINCE THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTS SMOOTHLY, COULD IT BE THE THROWOUT BEARING OR SOMETHING ELSE? AGAIN, THIS IS ONLY HEARD WHEN THERE IS RESISTANCE WHEN DOWN SHIFTING. IT'S FINE WHEN I ACCELERATE.

THE CAR IS NOT REGISTERED AND CANNOT GET IT TO A SHOP AT THIS TIME. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS. :?

Offline Eagle 1

MANUAL TRANSMISSION
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 12:50:03 PM »
The throwout bearing will make a noise when the car is in neutral and idling, then when you press in the clutch it may stop or change.  I dont think that is your problem.
Check the u-joints and make sure they are ok.
Make sure your linkages are not binding and are lubricated.
You can drain the transmission and look for metal or debris which would indicate an overhaul may be needed.  You may have a worn main drive gear and countergear.
They make a lubricate now for worn trans gears to help quiet them down that you may want to try.
" He done good didnt he Fred?"
"I'm in pursuit of a black Trans Am. He's all mine so stay outta the way."

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: MANUAL TRANSMISSION
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 02:38:06 PM »
You might also check the transmission mounting bolts.  The transmission housing is alumium and the threads can strip.  My transmission had a mounting bolt missing and the hole was stripped.  The transmission would move everytime I shifted.  Also, as Eagle1 said, you might want to check the fluid.  You could drain it and look for metal.  At least when you refill it you'll have clean oil.

The transmission is always a little noisey and a whine is normal when you downshift.  But there shouldn't be a vibration.

Offline Rob R.

MANUAL TRANSMISSION
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 05:20:55 AM »
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION GENTLEMEN! I WILL LET YOU KNOW ONCE RESOLVED.