Author Topic: Where are you from? Introduce yourself!  (Read 691975 times)

Offline gqlefty

Re: Where are you from? Introduce yourself!
« Reply #630 on: July 31, 2007, 03:15:10 PM »
gglefty, welcome to the site.  If I were you, I would stay away from Westcoast TA's.  Alot of people has seen their work close up and it ain't pretty.  Sure, it looks good in photos, but wait til you see it in person.  They are just money hungry people trying to capitalize on the growing popularity of the Trans Am and do things fast and cheaply and try to sell it for big bucks.  But that is just my opinion.......... Take it for what it is worth.  How much did you want to spend on one?

And to everyone else who has signed up, Welcome !  We are not picture hungry here..... as you can tell from the posts, only about 4 of us here are photo hungry. :-)
Thanks for your reply!!!!  I value your opinion!! I know nothing about the TA market. Just always loved the looks of them and decided to try to find one and enjoy it before I get to old to enjoy it!! It is hard to tell from photos but they do look good.  I dont know of their rep. thats why I ask some unbiased opinions.  Their res. price was not met the first time around @ a bid of around 17k I think. It has been relisted again. Im looking to stay in the 10 to 20k range.  I know real SE's done right are more than that but I dont have to have a real SE. I know that car is not an SE but has been cloned.  Whats a ball park fiigure for a clone done right like they are trying to sell?  Their's does have some good original features doesnt it? Thanks for your help!!!

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #631 on: July 31, 2007, 03:37:29 PM »
A clone done right would be about $17,000 for a 79.  But I bet their reserve is at least $20,000 and I can see some stuff wrong in the photos.  For example, some of the stripes are in the wrong places and it looks like they did the stripes with a roll and not the pre-formed stripes (another example of them cheaping out on something), the steering wheel and dash have been done with a cheap can of spray paint from the auto store, the outter door handles are black.... what did they paint them with the car and not bother to take them off?, didn't even bother to paint the seat belt retainers... they left them black, there is a red bird emblem on the steering wheel which should be gold, and is that electrical tape sticking out of the center console by the lid?... maybe to hold it together for photos?, also, what is that aluminum foil doing in the engine compartment on a fuel line??, .. anyway, I could go on, but you get the idea.  Plus, their car does not have T-tops, but it does have a 4-Speed
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline gqlefty

« Reply #632 on: July 31, 2007, 05:38:49 PM »
A clone done right would be about $17,000 for a 79.  But I bet their reserve is at least $20,000 and I can see some stuff wrong in the photos.  For example, some of the stripes are in the wrong places and it looks like they did the stripes with a roll and not the pre-formed stripes (another example of them cheaping out on something), the steering wheel and dash have been done with a cheap can of spray paint from the auto store, the outter door handles are black.... what did they paint them with the car and not bother to take them off?, didn't even bother to paint the seat belt retainers... they left them black, there is a red bird emblem on the steering wheel which should be gold, and is that electrical tape sticking out of the center console by the lid?... maybe to hold it together for photos?, also, what is that aluminum foil doing in the engine compartment on a fuel line??, .. anyway, I could go on, but you get the idea.  Plus, their car does not have T-tops, but it does have a 4-Speed
Thanks... I dont have the "trained eye' like I know you do but that is why I'm glad I found your site befor making any wrong buys.  They say it is all 'original eqp." except for the sterring and instrument panel. As you can see they didnt list what all they have done to the car.  They did say they didnt do any engine work on it. Hard for me to believe it has the original miles. That is not the original shifter that would have come on a TA like that is it?  Thanks again.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #633 on: July 31, 2007, 09:19:33 PM »
Thanks... if you look at the far right hand column of the build sheet it says W72.  The seller says all WS6 perf. package (listed on the invoice photo) @ $434.00 came with snowflake rims. I dont know that fact maybe someone does.  

Sorry I overlooked the W72 ( I was looking at the window sticker and overlooked the build sheet :-[). Yes, 15 x 8 snowflakes came with the WS6 performance package. The shifter handle isn't a Pontiac shifter knob...looks like maybe a Hurst shifter handle. Brett's the man when it comes to T/A's...he'll steer you towards something fun to spend your retirement fund on ;D  ;)
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline gqlefty

« Reply #634 on: August 01, 2007, 08:50:26 AM »
Thanks... if you look at the far right hand column of the build sheet it says W72.  The seller says all WS6 perf. package (listed on the invoice photo) @ $434.00 came with snowflake rims. I dont know that fact maybe someone does.  

Sorry I overlooked the W72 ( I was looking at the window sticker and overlooked the build sheet :-[). Yes, 15 x 8 snowflakes came with the WS6 performance package. The shifter handle isn't a Pontiac shifter knob...looks like maybe a Hurst shifter handle. Brett's the man when it comes to T/A's...he'll steer you towards something fun to spend your retirement fund on ;D  ;)
Thanks for your rely....  Really hard to tell from just looking at photos. So much to know what you need to be looking for. Really appreciate you guys help !!!

Offline badboy

« Reply #635 on: August 02, 2007, 01:06:08 PM »
Hi guys, from Norhtwest Mississippi here.  My son and I are restoring a 78 and loving every minute of it.
Joel

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #636 on: August 02, 2007, 01:45:23 PM »
Welcome badboy to 78ta.com.  Post up some pics of that poncho project when you get a chance, we love pics.
Rich

Offline badboy

« Reply #637 on: August 02, 2007, 03:41:23 PM »
I'll take some this afternoon as soon as I get off work. Not much to look at right now.  I just finished replacing the top on the car and started sanding it for painting.  I was going to take some pics for a question anyhow about the shaker being too tall to see if some one could figure out which shaker I need.  My son and I love this site.  He doesn't remember the seventies T/As and has fell in love with them so we found one to restore.  Anyway didn't mean to get long winded.
Joel

trancelgic

« Reply #638 on: August 02, 2007, 06:42:59 PM »
I don't know if I've shared yet....   ;)

Here's a pic of my daily driver: 2005 Trailblazer

It features the cool GM quick-flick start.  You put the key in the ignition, and barely turn the key and the car starts itself.
I don't know how to better describe it, than to show you.  ;D

http://topdeadcenterpodcast.com/Trailblazer/Trailblazer-QuickflickStart.swf
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 06:45:32 PM by trancelgic »

Offline Tbird

« Reply #639 on: August 02, 2007, 06:54:42 PM »
I wouldn't want that with little children. That makes it too easy to start.

trancelgic

« Reply #640 on: August 02, 2007, 10:14:49 PM »
There aren't any childrens in this house..  If the wife had it her way, that would be a different story.  If there are kids in the house I would have competition for the good toys, and I can't have that.

Especially with my bounching baby Trans Am that's coming soon!!!  WHOOO!!  I'm ordering a car from Hitman....

I'm allllll tingly...

I wouldn't want that with little children. That makes it too easy to start.

Offline IOWATRANSAM

« Reply #641 on: August 05, 2007, 05:13:06 AM »
I'm a "new" Trans Am owner in central Iowa. I have a 1977 Trans Am. It purple/blue kameleon (i  think thats right) that i bought for $500. It has a 350 chevy motor and t350 tranny. The previous owner did a lot of work to restore it himself about a decade ago and since then the paint has faided and its getting some surface rust. Other than that its a pretty solid car that needs some attention. I'll get some pics asap, but thought id introduce myself for now.

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #642 on: August 05, 2007, 07:33:40 AM »
Welcome Iowa to 78ta!!  Glad to have you aboard.  You definitely have the right of it, we love pics and would love to see your restoration '77.  Ask up any questions you might have as well, we'll be sure to get you some answers.  Again, welcome!
Rich

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #643 on: August 05, 2007, 09:12:21 AM »
IOWATRANSAM -- Welcome to 78TA.com!  Looking forward to pics -- we LOVE pics! :) :)

Offline ta collector

« Reply #644 on: August 05, 2007, 12:51:28 PM »
I'm a "new" Trans Am owner in central Iowa. I have a 1977 Trans Am. It purple/blue kameleon (i  think thats right) that i bought for $500. It has a 350 chevy motor and t350 tranny. The previous owner did a lot of work to restore it himself about a decade ago and since then the paint has faided and its getting some surface rust. Other than that its a pretty solid car that needs some attention. I'll get some pics asap, but thought id introduce myself for now.
welcome nice to see another iowa bird owner i live in north iowa
1967 firebird
1976 Trans Am 50th Anniversary
1979 TATA
1991 Trans Am GTA
2002 Trans Am Collector Edition #1358
2008 G8 GT
1972 Chevy C/10